The TV Set - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The TV Set Reviews

March 30, 2016
The TV Set seems like it was written by someone who literally went through the exact experience that David Duchovny's character struggles with in the film. Every step of the way it feels so authentic and real (by showing how artificial and fake television executives can be.) Sigourney Weaver was perfect at playing the manipulative force that smiles to your face while stabbing you in the back. I love how clearly the movie shows that a brilliant concept for a TV show can be destroyed as it is adapted from script to screen. It's a comedy, but unless you work in the TV industry, I doubt it will have you laughing out loud. Instead it will get you to chuckle, in a dark way, because you see how systematically every aspect of a man's dream is ruined. Most of it made a lot of sense and perfectly served the story, but there were a few elements that were strange detours and probably should have been removed from the film. The most glaring of these was the strange relationship between the two "stars" of the show played by Lindsay Sloane and Fran Kranz. I couldn't see a purpose to their whole on-and-off attraction because it didn't impact the show they were making at all. But in most ways The TV Set is a very effective movie, and if the premise interests you I can recommend it. However, for me it started to fall into a genre of film I despise: Movies where everything terrible happens to a very likable main character. The redeeming factor in this movie, and what made it slightly less painful from other films with the lovable loser plot, is that Duchovny isn't all that charming or charismatic so I wasn't crushed when his dream died. I know it seems odd to appreciate a bland actor, but in this case it worked for me. Your mileage may vary.
December 2, 2014
The TV Set is a clever and sharp satire anchored by solid performances.
March 5, 2014
Vastly underrated comedy tearing into the TV industry. Hilarious oscar-worthy performance by Sigourney Weaver. No buzz. No box office. But you won't regret renting or streaming this hidden gem.
½ February 1, 2014
Funny, realistic and well cast film
January 31, 2014
One of my favorite movies about have a TV was made
September 30, 2013
Been a while since I've seen a movie that's made me laugh while I was genuinely furious at the situation and characters on screen.
½ March 26, 2013
slow and not alot happens but this was actually watchable
due to the fact the cast is read hot.
Weaver is the best but Greer is also realllly good.
March 18, 2013
I love Duchovny. Not a very exciting show.
½ January 22, 2013
satirical take on the world of TV pilot production, watch as Mike sees his life's work get washed into a cheap sitcom. Not a bad movie, but has such little appeal that you'll probably never see it. satire needs to be over the top in places and this only makes it with one: sigourney weaver. if she wasnt in it, you wouldnt know it was a satire.
December 29, 2012
Could have been slightly more subtle, but overall a nice little film with an awesome cast.
December 29, 2012
Sigourney Weaver at her best.
½ November 24, 2012
This film is sneaky funny. Good satire about pilot season in the tv business as well as speaking to the idea of so many wanting to change an individual's vision.
½ October 28, 2012
Only people in the creative service world would really get this film. If you didn't get it then you are just one of the "execs." This movies embodies why this world is horrible. Everyone thinks they're a pro and can (or must) add their opinion to a project. This is the path to mediocrity or worse. I loved how painful this movies is to watch. I also found it humorous that another reviewer below thought this movie was "depressing." Go figure. This movie was well done all around. Good suggestion Raj.

2008 Movies: 126
October 20, 2012
The one and only test screening Ive ever been to, so unaware if this is the same exact version I saw. What I did see was a great cast about a great TV show that goes to heck under studio tinkering. Duchovny and Weaver were fantastic...the film was just depressing if true...which would explain why so many ideas in Hollywood are so bland.
September 10, 2012
It is not perfect by any means, but it really gave me an inside look at what it means to be in the entertainment industry. This is why I have always been scared of writing a novel or script or anything because of the politics involved in the process.
September 1, 2012
loved the sad realistic aspect of the movie
½ June 25, 2012
A bit heavy-handed, but a sharp and enjoyable showbiz satire nonetheless. It often crackles with tension and includes some great situational comedy set pieces.
June 18, 2012
nothing too special, very intersting though.
April 29, 2012
A funny look at the making of a T.V. pilot...
April 16, 2012
This movie is fantastic. Not as good as Zero Effect, but you should still see it. It's only funny about half the time, but the other half, it's relevant, and it shows how, no matter what your job is, you are always affected by it, no matter where you are.