The TV Set - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The TV Set Reviews

April 10, 2012
i have high hopes for this one and don't feel i'll be disappointed
½ April 7, 2012
WOW!! This film depicts everything that SICKENS me about Hollywood. Very true to life. Its like oyu just keep getting stabbed with a knife deeper and deeper everytime someone has "notes" or "concerns". Abravise and devastating this film truly says it all with an incredible wit. I cant imagine that Hollywood enjoys seeing films like this that hit very close to home and exposes them for the retarded frauds that they are.
½ March 21, 2012
I don't know anyone who works in television, but I have a feeling this film is pretty accurate. It basically concludes creativity and financial success don't work well together. I'd buy that.
February 2, 2012
A dark comedy where you feel like the sun will come out at any minute but never does. The glaring problem lying inside "The TV Set" is its attack on a medium that suffers from the same issues as the medium the film uses (film) to attack it.
January 15, 2012
duchovny is so dry and funny. weaver is cunning and witty. the movie is funny and relates to every artists life in one way or another. i loved it probably because of duchovny tho
January 11, 2012
actually better than i thought it was going to be.
December 17, 2011
I liked this movie alot! Mostly because it hints at Jake Kasdan and Judd Apatow's experience making both 'Freaks and Geeks' as well as 'Undeclared' two great shows that got cancelled. Although i laughed alot while watching it i found the movie somewhat depressing. Cause when it comes down to it people like Sigourney Weaver's character decide what is on TV(SLUT WARS!) Duchovny, Gruffudd and Weaver were really great.
½ August 13, 2011
Ensemble cast including Duchovny and Weaver, as well as some from the sci fi genre, Franz (Dollhouse), Garson (SG1) etc. Although the topic was interesting, how a script becomes a pilot, the movie kinda fell flat. If this was pitch for a pilot, it would not have been picked up.
½ June 25, 2011
Soulless viewers we are.
½ April 29, 2011
Gave this a re-watch after picking up a cheap copy at Big Lots recently, it holds up pretty well. This actually makes me want to re-watch The Player for a Hollywood-themed double feature.

Briskly paced and quick witted tale of a writer's frustrating journey from a script to a finished pilot that's not quite what he envisioned, but seems to find an audience.

Well worth a look, give it a rental.
April 25, 2011
Pretty interesting comedy about what happens to the writers idea of a tv show after the production engine has chew it up.
March 25, 2011
A very accurate portrayal of how skewed the TV biz' can be. Duchovny is great.
March 20, 2011
A crushingly humorous look into the creative process. A must watch for anyone interested in making commercial art.
January 14, 2011
This is pretty funny. A writer has a dream for his work to become a tv show. This movie is about all the drama and decisions that came to make his art a shitty unwatachable tv show that gets cancelled after the pilot is made. It's pretty iritating to watch this seeing how many problems he runs into.
½ January 6, 2011
Funny and true. What a rough industry.
½ November 14, 2010
It's hard to not see The TV Set and think it was inspired by writer-director Jake Kasden's attempts to get a series based on his film The Zero Effect off the ground. The film stars David Duchovny as a writer whose show, The Wexler Chronicles, goes into the pilot phase. From there, we follow how he well-liked original script gets twisted and manipulated into the final product. Similar to David Mamet's State and Main and Christopher Guest's For Your Consideration, Kasden's film takes some sharp (and rather predictable) jabs at network television. With very good performances from the leads, it's Sigourney Weaver that steals the show as the ruthless network boss ("You don't want to be too original. Actually, original kind of scares me"). It's a fun film, for the most part, but it does drags in a couple of places and the bitterness of some of the characters can be a little off-putting.
October 18, 2010
For Fans Of: Ensemble, Duchovny, Judy Greer, murky humor
Date Night: Nope
Art Factor: Low
Fun Factor: Low
Emotional Factor: Low
Intelligence Required: Medium
Essential Viewing: No

I totally wanted to see this so bad. I'm a huge Duchovny fan, well, Californication fan. Most of the ensemble cast had players that I am very fond of, including the previously mentioned Judy Greer (get this woman more parts). The cast was as good as I had hoped with laughs coming from all around, including a very funny Sigourney Weaver. But damn if the premise just didn't start to run dry quickly. I am usually a big fan of mockumentaries, or films that are kind of mockumentaries. I just found there to be way too many slow points in this one. Director Kasdan did a decent job, but he is no Christopher Guest at this. The script, penned by a former writer from the classic show Arrested Development, was good, but it never hit great and at times backslid into bad. It felt like the writer couldn't decide is this a dark comedy or straight laughs. The camera work was also a big problem for me. You can't shoot half a movie doc style and the other half film style and not expect it to have a choppy uneven feel. This is one of those movies that with a few tweaks could have scored way higher and just might have found an audience, especially when you take into account the considerable talent on display here. If you enjoy this type of film, I would recommend it to you, but if you are new to this style, get yourself a Guest flick so you can see how it should be done.
½ October 9, 2010
Somewhat interesting look at the process of creating a TV show. There are a few amusing moments along the way. Solid acting, mediocre script.