Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 Reviews

½ March 14, 2017
The penultimate installment in the best-selling Twilight series opened last Friday, quickly hitting No. 1 in the box office. The film focuses mostly on the rivalry between Jacob Black and Edward Cullen that leaves Bella stuck in the middle. She is, once again, the most annoying character of any of them, constantly hurting Jacob by involving herself in his life and staying with Edward for unexplainable reasons.

The acting and dialogue is by far worse in this one than in any of the others, mainly because not much happens. Edward and Bella get married, she is impregnated with his vampire baby, gives birth, and the movie ends in a surprising cliffhanger. This means they need to fill the rest of the two hours with escalating conflict as well as unnecessary filler.

Only having one Breaking Dawn film would obviously be the better choice, as literally nothing else happens plot-wise for the rest of the book (from where this film left off). This problem is shared with Eclipse, where the movie itself is moderately entertaining, but with no real content. Breaking Dawn Part 1 suffers from this even more, and Iâ(TM)m sure the final movie (July 2012) will suffer from it the most out of all of them.

Breaking Dawn feels choppy and rushed at points, while dragging on in other places. The honeymoon scene feels like it lasts for two hours, as does the wedding scene before it. The rest of the time is spent on Bella dying, and Jacob and his friendsâ(TM) terrible acting. The scene with the werewolves fighting/talking is simply laughable because of the pure absurdity of the scene (Princess Mononoke style). Other scenes also make no sense, and you are left asking yourself what you just saw.

Because of the mature sex scenes in the beginning, the disturbing vampire birth scene at the end, and the overall mature feel of the film, all my friends universally agreed it should have been rated R, and theyâ(TM)re probably right. For those of you who have read the book, you know how frightening and violent this scene is, as the vampire baby is killing Bella as it plays out, and the movie lives up to it well. I even read on parenting forums that mothers are actually pushing their 13/14/15 year old daughters to see Breaking Dawn and the birth scene simply to scare them out of having sex.

While the first half hour is a romance-filled paradise of love and joy, the last hour-and-a-half is purely conflict, distress, and lopsided plot structure. By the end of the birth scene and Bellaâ(TM)s cliffhanger, you will most likely feel stressed out leaving the theater. For die-hard Twilight fans, seeing this is obviously a must, but for the rest of the world, you will be left scratching your head in confusion.

Final Grade: C
December 24, 2016
Not as terrible as the previous chapter, since at least things start to finally happen and the technical aspects are decent enough to make it watchable, but the actors achieve the lowest bottom in awful acting and the whole misogyny of the plot is shocking and abysmal.
November 10, 2016
This movie is good and I recamend it.
October 11, 2016
Worst of them all!!!
October 4, 2016
A guilty pleasure is how I see these teen based vampire flicks, they're not as bad as many think but on the other hand they're not outstanding either.

The first film was reasonable, the second was slightly worse and the third was slightly better than both, this fourth and final part so far is back to being worse again. To be honest it does seem to be pretty accurate to the book, I haven't read the book but from reading up online it does seem quite close which is always a plus.

The problem is the story is just poor, all the excitement was in the previous stories, in this last instalment it just seems like a vampire soap opera. Nothing much happens for almost 40 minutes into the film accept Bella and Edward getting married and going on their honeymoon, that's it!! its what vampires do when their not fighting and sulking around dark buildings and alleyways.

The rest of the film simply deals with the new baby issues, jealous werewolves and something about the rival shape shifters wanting to kill the new baby because it may be a risk, a risk to who? why? Other queries that go unexplained (so it seems) were..since when do vampires inject their 'venom' into victims hearts? what exactly is an 'imprint' for a shape shifter? why wouldn't changing Bella into a vampire not save her life whilst pregnant? and why can't the baby be harmed once its been 'imprinted' by a shape shifter??

If I read the book I would probably find out but that's not gonna happen hehe, I guess fans will know but it limits the non-fans and newbies to the franchise somewhat. Other than that its a disappointing new entry which is really quite dull but at last Bella FINALLY becomes a vampire geez! she's been back n fourth on that decision for the last three films, dunno why the hard choice, I would in a flash.
½ September 26, 2016
...I Honestly Tried To Watch It. Really, I Did. This Instalment Is Just Terrible. A Mills & Boon Vampire Soap-Opera. The Pivotal Turning-Point Scene Becomes A 1-Min Bit With A Random Spanish Hotel Maid, Whom Seems To Enlighten An Ignorant Bella-Edward. From Here The Pace Picks Up But The Rest (Acting, Brooding Stare Downs & Whatnot) Is Just Absolutely Rubbish. Career Killing Low-Light For All Involved.
August 30, 2016
Enjoyed this less than the others which I gave 4 stars as they were just harmless fantasy fun. Was very very strange in parts. For example the honey moon and the birth. Strange and disgusting. I know that's how the story went but it was off putting and I did not enjoy these bits. Makes you feel uncomfortable watching it.
August 16, 2016
Surpreendentemente apenas chatinho, "Amanhecer Parte 1" atà (C) tem uma dinâmica e bons efeitos visuais. Os diálogos estúpidos, as atuações inexpressivas e a historinha enfadonha, entretanto, parecem ser características inseparáveis da 'saga' (pfff) Crepúsculo.
½ August 6, 2016
A poor entry in the series. As the story drags so does the lack of tension and the lame plot. More of the same here with little to entertain.
jamrcla
½ July 18, 2016
After I thought Eclipse was pretty good(ish) because of the action I expected it to be just as action filled but I was let down and sat through a film that felt a million miles away from the first 3, It's not as dark and there's no fight scenes and the story drags but my rating is as high as is it because im hoping it's setting itself up for the grand finale, I hope.
June 28, 2016
Bella and Edward married and on their honeymoon. I wonder what could happen, are they like a normal couple on their honeymoon? Of course they are.
Too late in the evening
June 28, 2016
best vampire movie yet!!!! I love the chemistry that Robert and Kristen have.
June 28, 2016
why isn't my breaking dawn freaking working? It wont playback!
Love It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 28, 2016
I LOVE ALL OF THE TWILIGHT MOVIES when I watch it with a few of Friend's and without my Friend's.
June 28, 2016
It's a great movie, my daughter loves it.
June 28, 2016
I love all of Twilight movies.
Read the books twice.
Watched the movies so many times that my dog is a twi-hard! Mister Wiggles totally Team Jacob! He loves the wolves!
June 28, 2016
i luv this movie with all my heart