Updated: The New Moon Teaser Trailer Teaser; Is 14 Seconds Enough for Fans?

Tune in Tuesday to watch the 14-second teaser for Friday's teaser trailer.

When a studio can cause a frenzy by announcing a teaser for a teaser, well, you've got a bona fide pop cultural event in the making. Of course, we're not talking about just any film fantasy property; this is Twilight, after all. And so, Twilighters, get your computers ready to boot up for Tuesday's early morning debut of a 14-second teaser for Friday's new trailer for The Twilight Saga: New Moon! (The latter will be attached to screenings of Bandslam in theaters.)

The word came early Monday morning, direct from the studio.

From Summit Entertainment:

"The next film in the series is not out until November 20, but a brand new, teaser theatrical trailer from THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON, will debut this Friday, exclusively with the Summit Entertainment August 14 release, BANDSLAM.

For fans who simply can't wait for Friday, a 14 second tease of the new trailer will be airing nationwide, starting Tuesday, August 11th."

To non-Twilight fans this move might seem a sheer marketing ploy designed to stoke the New Moon fire, which almost certainly got a boost from last weekend's Teen Choice Awards. There, the first Twilight film -- released nearly a full year ago -- won no less than 11 "surfboards." [Among its victories: Choice Actor (Robert Pattinson), Choice Actress (Kristen Stewart), Choice Liplock (naturally), Choice Rumble (really?), and Choice Hottie (Pattinson, who shared the honor with Megan Fox.)]

So let's agree on one thing: to the core fan following, there is no such thing as overexposure.

The move to attach the second New Moon "teaser theatrical trailer" to screenings of Summit's teen-centered musical flick, Bandslam, had been long-rumored but unconfirmed until today. (Note: Summit still calls this a teaser, meaning the first full trailer is yet to come.) It's a no-brainer move; Bandslam has much of the same demographic (teens and tweens) as the Twilight books and films, although Twilight's sequels are beginning to skew slightly older. By the time Eclipse and Breaking Dawn hit the screen, Summit will have to parlay what began as a simple supernatural romance (girl meets vampire) into an increasingly action-packed adventure with more mature themes (marriage, sex, and beyond).

Some might see the Bandslam-New Moon trailer set up as a win-win situation; Twilight fans who buy a Bandslam ticket just to watch the full teaser trailer will likely enjoy the film about teenagers (including High School Musical's Vanessa Hudgens) who come together to perform in a battle of the bands. But what will fans make of the 14-second teaser-teaser? It's hard to imagine deriving any satisfaction from a 14-second anything, but perhaps that's just the point; it will simply whet the appetite of Twilight fans, who may not care that the carrot being dangled in front of them is a mere sliver of what's to come.

All of which begs the question: when is too little really not enough? And when it comes to Twilight -- which has inspired countless YouTube reaction videos and at least one documented San Francisco mall stampede -- is there anything that could cause an actual fan revolt?

(It should be noted that fan boys and their beloved properties are not immune to these kinds of teases, as studios often employ entire viral marketing campaigns to reveal teasers for blockbuster films. Remember WhySoSerious.com? This is far less work-intensive.)

Check back here Tuesday morning for the 14-second teaser, which Summit will release to select press at 6am PST. Rotten Tomatoes will host the teaser shortly thereafter and we'll embed it in this very article for you to comment on -- let us know what you think, if it was just enough to tide you over until Friday, and if you plan on seeing Bandslam in theaters because of the New Moon teaser trailer!

**UPDATED

Here it is, Twihards. Fourteen seconds of Team Jacob love, with even more shirtless (and freakishly ripped) Taylor Lautner:

So what did you think? Is it too Harlequin Romance for your tastes, or just enough of a tease to make you buy a Bandslam ticket this Friday? Click here to read early reviews of Bandslam, starring Vanessa Hudgens and Aly Michalka.

Comments

THECOWBELLHASSPOKEN

joseph rivera

gay

Aug 10 - 07:39 PM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

You know RT is pretty hard up for stories when they are teasing a teaser.

Aug 10 - 07:51 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Well. . . |Twilight with some people, particular women, holds a place in the hearts of some the same way THE DARK KNIGHT did with us men over a year ago. . .

Aug 10 - 08:03 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Whoa, hang on tomwaitsjr: Every girl i have ever met LOVED The Dark Knight. It wasn't a guy thing at all, by any stretch of the imagination. I think it is fitting that it came so close to beating Titanic, because that started out as a Love story that was supposed to attract women but a lot of guys came out to support it as well.

To me, James Cameron was always awesome, but I've been a HUGE Dicaprio fan ever since.

Aug 10 - 09:01 PM

Chris B.

Chris Bellew

except The Dark Knight was a good movie and wasn't some cheap money grab.

Aug 11 - 04:27 PM

JRW1980

Jeremy W.

Even though I did enjoy the first film, I thought that main vampire guy and his clan were all rather feminine wusses. If your standard vampire family is the Osbourns, they were portrayed like the Brady Bunch. Hopefully they make them cooler in this new one.

Aug 10 - 08:34 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

Fear not, the Cullens only appear in the beginning and at the end. The middle is all werewolf!

Aug 11 - 02:10 AM

Needles K.

Needles Kane

Dude it's Twilight. Other than the retarded 13 year olds on this website, who actually cares?

Aug 10 - 08:54 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I'm not a "Twilight" fan (I feel as if I must keep saying that...I'm sure you people already have figured that out) but I'll be damned if I let you talk about some of my friends that way. Okay, so all my friends who like "Twilght" are girls, but to say people who like it are retarded is, well, idiotic. So watch your mouth.

Aug 10 - 09:51 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Aug 10 - 09:01 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Aug 10 - 09:51 PM

Paints Hz Shirt Red

krookedlegs Eagle Tail

a 14 second teaser, for the teaser thats being released friday. jeeezus keerhist.

Aug 10 - 10:16 PM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

That's hilarious. Aaand I'm gonna watch it.

Aug 11 - 12:25 AM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

That's hilarious. Aaand I'm gonna watch it.

Aug 11 - 12:28 AM

SUMMER XIA

Xia Yun

I like Edwards

Aug 11 - 01:44 AM

soul assasin k.

soul assasin killer

i never understood the big deal about these twlight movies. i mean the underworld is better then these gay movies. i bet u millions of gay teen are jacking off over the upcoming preview

Aug 11 - 01:58 AM

RoadDogXVIII

Michael Zimmerman

Word.

Aug 11 - 12:18 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

Aug 11 - 02:10 AM

Adele D.

Adele Doherty

The thing is, teaser trailers are always gonna come out for anticipated movies. Its always been that way, and with Twilight, its no different.

Although I do find it a little strange how there's a 14 second trailer out now, AFTER the main trailer (1:48secs) has already been shown on the MTV awards, and is all over YouTube. But..I guess the TV campaign is only just starting.

On another note, I find it kinda funny how some guys assume that certain movies are specifically for one gender (The Dark Knight..?!) Seriously, SO many of us girls/women love that movie. Movies are for everyone to enjoy, there are no rules as to who can watch what. Stop acting so old-fashioned.

Anyway as I've said before on other Twilight related discussions, people of all ages love the Twilight Saga and the movie. I, myself, am almost 30 and I'm a fan of them. Just like so many others. If that makes us sad and pathetic to some of you, so be it. Do we care? Meh..we love what we love. Deal with it.

Aug 11 - 04:22 AM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Twilight won 11 Teen awards and gave Britney Spears a lifetime achievment award.

Perfect example of why we don't let teens vote in elections.

Aug 11 - 04:28 AM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

LMAO, maybe we should stop letting teens run websites as well.

Aug 11 - 05:29 AM

RoadDogXVIII

Michael Zimmerman

Word to you too.

Aug 11 - 12:18 PM

craig o.

craig o hall

The problem with these movies/books ius their not actual vampires as there way too emotional for a being that is truly dark in nature.
Tbh they really annoy me as they tarnish the classics such as Bram Stokers Dracula (Book, not the film)and movies such as Lost Boys and Vampires.

Also young people watching these films think vampires are emotional beings that wont drink human blood cos their really pussys at heart. Another vampire theme that Twilight has ruined. Their feckin evil incarnate not these Jonas brother lookalikes that go around poncing on about poetry and crying to each other (guessing this is in the movie somewhere).

Anyway if you want to read a truly scary novel read Dracula, not this crap.

Oh and Underworld is a joke too.

Aug 11 - 05:13 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

never expected I'd be posting on THIS thread, but...

In response to what Craig o wrote-

When I was 11, I asked my mom at breakfast "I know Ghosts aren't real, but if they were, would the temperature in the room change when they enter?" ...my brother, 20 years later, still gives me sh#t about it.

...are you *REALLY* pissing on the ACCURACY of Twilight's portrayal of VAMPIRES? What, are all your vampire friends up in arms about being mis-represented? ...were you also pissed-off earlier this summer because 'real' transformers are taller than the ones in the movie?

My god, some of you kids have WAY too little to do and too much hatred to do it with.

Aug 11 - 06:51 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dude, have you even read Bram Stokers Dracula? The entire reason Dracula comes to England is to reclaim his lost love who's he's been pining over for centuries. How about Anne Rice and her hugely popular Vampire Chronicles? True Blood? Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter? All of which have to one degree or another emotional vampires who aren't obsessed 24/7 with a one track quest for blood. The generic tuxedo wearing creature of the underworld is no more relevent in modern times than any other incarnations.

Aug 11 - 04:42 PM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

LMAO, maybe we should stop letting teens run websites as well.

Aug 11 - 05:29 AM

Adele D.

Adele Doherty

Craig o. Your post reeks of sheer ignorance. Guessing the content of the movie/books just shows how irrelevant your words are.

Anyone who has ever read vampire stories, would know that there are no set rules as to what they do or cant do. True, the most common type we read about, are those which are dark and sinister. But does that always have to be the case? No, it really doesnt.

Also there is that side, in most vampire stories, where the vampires are described as beautiful and flawless in their looks, and have an air of romantic fantasy, to draw people in. (And if you didnt know, romanticism in some vampire-fantasy stories include a respect for poetry and classical music)

Anyway, I dont see how anyone can form a legit opinion on something without having looked into it properly. If you havent read the books or watched the movie, then dont expect to have your assumptions (not opinions) respected.

Aug 11 - 06:15 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

never expected I'd be posting on THIS thread, but...

In response to what Craig o wrote-

Aug 11 - 06:51 AM

jds83210

jeremy schleicher

You guys just don't get Twilight and you are not supposed to. It is a tween movie, nothing more and nothing less. The vampires are not supposed to be scary, it is not a horror movie, it is a teen romance movie.

Aug 11 - 06:52 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast