The Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibei) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibei) Reviews

May 6, 2016
This film along with The Hidden Blade (same director) are two of the best samurai movies out there. When I say samurai movie, I mean one that is not only historically accurate, but the story is deep and moving. If you rather watch action rubbish, then go google some ninja vs samurai crap.
March 22, 2016
There's nothing more heartbreaking than to see a samurai at the end of his rope. Though the concept of the Bamboo Sword is similar to the film 'Harakiri'.
December 30, 2015
A very well done Japanese film. A story about a simple samurai who doesn't want to fight but is obliged to do it by his clan leader. Something about Edo period Japan that I love.
½ December 18, 2015
75%
Saw this on 18/12/15
An above avg Samurai drama with effective performances from Hiroyuki Sanada and especially Rie Miyazawa. The setup is predictable, but it's emotional and fast paced. The story could have been better, but it captures the life of a samurai as a common man living in a changing era.
½ December 15, 2015
Life could be simple yet bring us happiness. Colours are not the best to keep you going as day go by. The Twilight Samurai, takes us into mid 19th century's Japan and makes us fall in live with the civilization. Like the era it represents, the direction is very clean yet effective. Although movie is shot in 2002 but it actually takes us to centuries ago into the era Yoji Yamada is telling story of. Power of a creator. Everything is in aspect and very real. From emotions to the sword fight, there is nothing fantasized or emotionalized.
A perfect movie for a Sunday afternoon.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Twilight Samurai has an uncommon mix of serious, emotional, and serene qualities that draw the viewer into a very believable and well-told story. The pacing is excellent and leads to a satisfying end. The lead actor makes one believe he is the character he portrays. Twilight Samurai is an example of a film that does not seem great at first but by the end the parts have indeed come together to form a greater whole.
March 2, 2015
The Twilight Samurai was a pleasant surprise for me. A dramatic period piece, the story involves a humble Samurai who, after his wife dies, works around the clock to support his two young daughters and forgetful mother. Things improve when his childhood (girl)friend returns home, divorced from her alcoholic, abusive husband. When said husband comes looking for her in a drunken rage, he agrees to a duel to defuse the situation. After honorably defeating him, word quickly spreads of his skill, which leads him down a path he never desired. A compelling, emotional watch, with strong acting, fine cinematography, and realistic fights, The Twilight Samurai is a must for fans of such Japanese cinema.
October 16, 2014
A beautiful display of the Edo period, and a fine job from Hiroyuki Sanada.
September 26, 2014
Refreshing break from senseless violence of similar movies. What little violence remains is brief, intense, and kept meaningful by what surrounds it. Inspiring and painful look into what life was like before the lower classes begun challenging norms like gender roles, feudal class structures, and more. Beautiful aesthetic and elegant take on more or less ancient story.
September 21, 2014
A favorite that was mostly overshadowed by the Last Samurai (also with Hiroyuki Sanada) from around the same time. It doesn't have the same production value as the Last Samurai but this story is so much more moving. Believable characters with great drama, this is not an action flick in any traditional sense. In fact there are only two actions sequences. But the charactizations and situations make for some truly original storytelling.
[SPOILER ALERT]
Basically a story of a lowly unkempt samurai who is thrust into the role as a single parent due to the passing of his wife. Two daughters keep him busy along with his duties as a samurai.
Soon he is reintroduced to a woman from his past that is now in an abusive marriage. Somehow he is forced to confront this man in an unusual showdown.
IMO the third act is one of the finest scenes in film. He is the forced to confront a samurai, now considered a demon because of his refusal to perform Seppiku after his failure. Our protagonist appears conflicted in his task to duty against a man who simply wants to live.
It's been a while since I've seen this movie so I may have gotten some of the story wrong. In this case i apologize.
July 19, 2014
One of the best new millennium films I've ever seen.
½ April 21, 2014
It seemed slow in a few scenes, but it is worth watching.
½ February 28, 2014
Quite little epic spun masterfully by Yomada.
February 2, 2014
Beautiful, moving, poetic, multi-themed and densely layered; Most cinematic samurai film I have ever seen; Easily walking the lane of Kurosawa's rAn
½ January 11, 2014
Humble yet epic tale of a samurai
January 11, 2014
Random pick for tonight, and it was surprisingly ok
December 19, 2013
this is just a beautiful film.
December 18, 2013
Incredible little film. Don't see it for the action though. Subtitled.
November 25, 2013
Tale of a lowly sensitive new age samurai who lives by his own code - a much more nuanced tale than the US Last Samurai. Not for action freaks.
November 20, 2013
Couldn't even make it through the first hour. "The director Yoji Yamada's devotion to somber, everyday detail will test the patience of many viewers of this slow-going character drama."