Two for the Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Two for the Road Reviews

April 23, 2016
Interesting character drama about Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney's 12-year relationship beginning to deteriorate as the two recollect their relationship from when they first met. Director Stanley Donen starts the film with two two acting rather distant in a French airpot and from there flashes backward and forward recounting the past and present of their relationship ups and downs. Picturesquely filmed in France, the film in many ways reminded me of Jacques Demy's "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" in that the film's opening first love romantic moments are so wonderful that you just don't want them to end and for that to be the entire film, but it's the tragic and realistic relationships moments that follow which make this film so memorable and special. It's the same case here with Donen's tragic and romantic tale, though told here through sincere performances rather than through song. And speaking of music and song, this film features a wonderful score by Henry Mancini, which he's stated is one of his personal favorites. Overall, this is a gorgeous film, with beautiful locations, terrific leads, a terrific score, a smart script. I think my only complaint is that at the films heart it's a sappy melodrama, but it's a pretty darn good one.
½ March 16, 2016
Deeply irritating 'romantic comedy' with a pretentious and repetitive screenplay by Frederic Raphael, clunky direction by the usually reliable Stanley Donen, and two miscast leads in Audrey Hepburn (twee) and Albert Finney (bored). There is no sexual chemistry, France looks cloudy, and even Henry Mancini's lovely theme is done to death.
December 28, 2015
This film examines the troubled ten-year marriage of a tempestuous couple, moving about in time and place to paint a complete picture. Initially, the chronological jumping around is disconcerting and confusing. Eventually, however, the episodes add up to something interesting, providing an absorbing portrait of the rise and fall of a love affair. Donen goes a bit overboard with his cinematic tricks, trying too hard to be chic. Hepburn and Finney are excellent as the sparring couple. The scenes involving their friends (Bron and Daniels) are quite amusing. The latter couple has what is probably the most obnoxious, spoiled child ever put on film.
July 12, 2015
A precursor to 500 Days of Summer and even Annie Hall, Two for the Road casts the exemplary Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn as a disgruntled married couple who revisit their twelve year marriage while on a road trip. The movie is able to blend together so many different genres, from cutesy romance, bitter fights, simple comedy, and wonderful dialogue. An experimental film in its time, the jumping back and forth through the marriage is a wonderful technique, and it adds up to a very layered film with great performances.
April 17, 2015
A cynical look at the breakdown of a marriage, by turns amusing and sad, beautifully filmed and acted. Not sure if it is a comment on marriage or the 60's zeitgeist... the non-linear flashbacks are a bit confusing (my friend suggested that that partly means we can't blame just one character) though for me Wallace was a pretty self-absorbed idiot from the beginning, but then I love Audrey Hepburn. Great if occasionally confusing film.
February 23, 2015
You may not like the director jumping you between different timeline points, but you will sure like the chemistry that arouses between the film's leading star, Hepburn and Finney.
September 3, 2014
Once you adjust to the French New Wave-styled nonlinear narrative and jump cuts, you're left with a sobering look at an unhealthy relationship between two free spirits.
June 23, 2014
set the tone for my expectations about relationships
May 30, 2014
Yet another stellar piece from Audrey Hepburn. This might be the best use of non-linear storytelling I've seen, including any of Tarantino's work, The Killing and Annie Hall. It just worked so well between the two characters, making the whole thing flow incredibly smoothly. Some movies aren't remembered through time and don't deserve it, and this is a prime example of it.
hunterjt13
May 17, 2014
The film chronicles several journeys in a couple's relationship.
While the performances by Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn are often delightful, the film's primary problem is its unevenness. It's occasionally hard to follow, and the mix of happy times and marital discord never quite finds its proper balance.
Overall, there are parts of this film that are fun, but the film as a whole lacks cohesiveness.
April 25, 2014
Between 2.5 and 3. It has an intelligent sense of humour and a very good combination of the overlaping stories and shots, although the main plot -maybe because of the issue- does not captivate me completely.
April 22, 2014
Fantastic. Feels effortless. Sums up everything romantic comedies are missing now.
March 26, 2014
I love this film more and more every year that passes.
February 19, 2014
Not bad, but all the jumping between time and place was rather confusing. My dad would have lost the clue completely. Audrey.... how skinny can a woman be? And Albert Finney, actually only ever seen him previously as an old crumpy man. Refreshing!
½ October 30, 2013
An au courant account -by the swinging sixties' standards- of a relationship and the institution of marriage, shown through all its stages with lots of charm. From a narrative standpoint it might be a bit muddled, but Hepburn and Finney give the right touch of wit, chemistry, cynicism and joie de vivre for all to be pleased.
½ October 2, 2013
gr8 cast A benchmark of marital dischord with luminous Hepburn, cheeky Finney
August 18, 2013
Super forgettable. I'm not the biggest Hepburn fan.
June 23, 2013