Two for the Road Reviews

• May 05, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Jan 07, 2018

Bored. Did not finish. Audrey Hepburn, Albert Finney.

Bored. Did not finish. Audrey Hepburn, Albert Finney.

• Dec 02, 2017

***THEY DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THEY USED TO... EXQUISITELY SOPHISTICATED DATE MOVIE***

• Nov 26, 2017

Has a ton of charming potential but Albert Finney's character has to be the most annoying and unlikable character in all of film. What a jerk! Of course Hepburn is adorable. Makes me sad she has to endure such a louse.

• Oct 01, 2017

Both, Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn steal the show in this touchingly direct romantic drama, from Stanley Donen, but also, feeding upon great commentaries and depictions towards love, relationships and marriage, being sadly realistic and, at times, charmingly funny, all in a great combination that leads into a pretty good old fashioned example of how to handle this approaches in cinema.

• Aug 02, 2017

A frank portrayal of the life cycle of marriage. Some touching moments, but others are sad. The time jumps leave you wondering what time you're in.

• Apr 23, 2016

Interesting character drama about Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney's 12-year relationship beginning to deteriorate as the two recollect their relationship from when they first met. Director Stanley Donen starts the film with two two acting rather distant in a French airpot and from there flashes backward and forward recounting the past and present of their relationship ups and downs. Picturesquely filmed in France, the film in many ways reminded me of Jacques Demy's "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" in that the film's opening first love romantic moments are so wonderful that you just don't want them to end and for that to be the entire film, but it's the tragic and realistic relationships moments that follow which make this film so memorable and special. It's the same case here with Donen's tragic and romantic tale, though told here through sincere performances rather than through song. And speaking of music and song, this film features a wonderful score by Henry Mancini, which he's stated is one of his personal favorites. Overall, this is a gorgeous film, with beautiful locations, terrific leads, a terrific score, a smart script. I think my only complaint is that at the films heart it's a sappy melodrama, but it's a pretty darn good one.

• Mar 16, 2016

Deeply irritating 'romantic comedy' with a pretentious and repetitive screenplay by Frederic Raphael, clunky direction by the usually reliable Stanley Donen, and two miscast leads in Audrey Hepburn (twee) and Albert Finney (bored). There is no sexual chemistry, France looks cloudy, and even Henry Mancini's lovely theme is done to death.

• Apr 17, 2015

A cynical look at the breakdown of a marriage, by turns amusing and sad, beautifully filmed and acted. Not sure if it is a comment on marriage or the 60's zeitgeist... the non-linear flashbacks are a bit confusing (my friend suggested that that partly means we can't blame just one character) though for me Wallace was a pretty self-absorbed idiot from the beginning, but then I love Audrey Hepburn. Great if occasionally confusing film.

• Mar 15, 2015

TWO FOR THE ROAD is an authentic road movie, with opening credits of miscellaneous traffic signs bode the marital turbulence of a couple, the architect Mark Wallace (Finney) and his wife Joanna (Hepburn), who has been married for twelve years, and through the haphazard narrative jump-cuts, as the title suggests, the film presents them in a continuously mobile fashion, mostly in flashbacks, whether they are hitchhiking, carpooling with another married couple (including a fast-forwarding sight-seeing in Chantilly), or later they can afford to travel on their own, their trips in the magnificent European land evokes an evident whiff of lyricism intermingled with their personal romances and crises. keep reading my review on my blog: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1PV