Two for the Seesaw - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Two for the Seesaw Reviews

April 4, 2015
mitchum & maclaine, as always, on form. The script, although good, could have been better. Don't watch for laughs!
February 23, 2013
Robert Mitchum is miscast as a Nebraska lawyer having a midlife crisis. He moves to Greenwich Village, where he meets dancer Shirley MacLaine, vulnerable and a harpy at the same time. Talky, dated, and so boring I quit paying attention until I looked up to see the MGM lion roaring at the end. Notable only as the picture where the leads met and had a lifelong affair.
February 15, 2013
I really wanted to like this film, being directed by the great Robert Wise, with a gorgeous jazzy score by Andre Previn, and two favorites as the romantic leads, Robert Mitchum and Shirley McClaine. Unfortunately, the story is quite predictable and rather trite. McClain and Mitchum are terrific and really do manage to carry the film. Wise directs the film with style and the black and white photography of New York City is terrific. The script is where the film lets down, with it feeling like an incredibly dated story.
May 6, 2012
"two for the seesaw" has wonderful performances from both robert mitchum and shirley maclaine, who are great together. both of them play it genuinely and you forget they're famous actors and believe they are the characters they're portraying.
½ November 23, 2011
The first thing I have to say is that this film looks amazing, the crisp B & W photography is gorgeous from the first frame until the credits roll, and both Mitchum and MacLaine are fun to watch in their roles.

His uptight laconic routine plays nicely against her whimsical free spirit, even as they spend the film dancing around truly depressing situation and refusing to allow themselves to commit to one another.

Good film, worth tracking down.
½ September 23, 2011
Two for the Seesaw is a poignant film. It is about a guy wandering around New York. Robert Mitchum gave an excellent performance. The script is pretty good. Robert Wise did great with directing. I liked this movie but is not one of my favorites.
September 10, 2011
Robert Wise's bold kitchen-sink drama stars Robert Mitchum and Shirley MacClaine as star-crossed lovers who struggle to discover if needing one another is enough to be happy.
September 5, 2011
one of "THOSE FILMS" that you would probably have to special order.

Beautiful 2:35.1 aspect ratio Black and White cinematography.

I have to see this again, without interruption.
December 7, 2010
Strong performances from the leads, although Shirley's accent is reminiscent of Anne Bancroft who originated the role on Broadway and might have seemed more at home in the part. Well directed by Wise but if interpersonal dramas aren't your thing-steer clear of this.
½ March 10, 2010
Good rObert Wise story about sad & twisted people amazingly played by MacLaine & Mitchum. It has really a stage look but the cinematography is beautiful.
½ January 16, 2010
a nice little romantic drama. not the usual Mitchum type film. the cover made it look misleadingly like a comedy. MacLaine was wonderful in this.
April 24, 2009
Mitchum and MacLaine are too very flawed people who start up a relationship. Very realistic, not like most romantic films but the film is too talky and becomes boring.
October 29, 2005
Exceptionally poingnant, extremely well written. Shirley Mac Laine and Robert Mitchum are well cast and make a surprisingly good team. Most of the film focuses solely on them, not much of a supporting cast. Always held my interest, very well developed characters. A wonderful film.