Two Girls and a Guy Reviews

• Jul 09, 2018

Two Girls and a Guy is the sorriest excuse for a movie that I’ve seen in a long time. It’s basically a stage play considering the whole thing takes place in one location and there are only 3 characters in the film. But these people don’t behave like human beings. It starts like a soap opera where two girls realize that they’ve been dating the same guy and he’s been actively lying to them both. So they confront him (so far this is perfectly reasonable.) But then they stick around, and hang out at his apartment. They start chatting with one another and getting drunk in his place for no reason. He makes regular calls to his mother in between his attempts to justify his actions. Then they all consider continuing a relationship, because they are complete morons at this point. The conversations are circular and infuriating, and every bit of it is demeaning to the women who seem so hooked on this guy that they cannot pull themselves away. It doesn’t help that the acting is disgraceful. Robert Downey, Jr. might be the worst I’ve ever seen him in a film, as if he’s just improvising all this crap that comes out of his mouth. Heather Graham has never been a great actress, and that is even more obvious when she’s given this large of a role. I don’t know much of anything about Natasha Gregson Wagner, but I would not be surprised if you told me she does not speak English and learned her lines phonetically, because it shocked me how inhuman she sounded. A text-to-speech program could have delivered these lines with more emotion. Not much happens in Two Girls and a Guy aside form bickering, and people acting like aliens, so I don’t have much more to say. I was a bit concerned that this was going to become James Toback’s wish-fulfillment movie and he was driving the whole thing towards a threesome, but it didn’t quite get there. Still I found it to be an embarrassment of a movie, and one that no one needs to see.

• Jul 07, 2017

Having read a good portion of the reviews of this movie, it is safe to say that this movie is about 'some' of us, and not at all about the others. It is flawed and deserves criticism for the uneven affect of the actors, the super-ficial self-confessional indulgence of the author, and perhaps the lack of consequence. But here's the thing, shot through in 11 hours in a single SoHo loft 20 years ago, this one act play tells the truth about some of our thoroughly modern lives. It is a beautiful portrait of Robert Downey Jr. whose brilliance is so charming that we forgive him everything. If you're a fan, this is a little treat.

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Jun 06, 2015

Raw and uncompromising, Two Girls and a Guy takes a hard look at relationships. When two women discover that they've been unknowing dating the same guy, they decide to ambush him at his apartment and get answers. The performances by Heather Graham, Natasha Gregson Wagner, and Robert Downey Jr. are especially good, and they have impressive chemistry together. But the film doesn't seem to know what it's trying to say; as the women's indignation at being cheated on turns into hypocrisy as the discussion gets deeper and more revealing. In fact, the main characters seem to be constantly in flux as the issues of honesty and fidelity are exploded (which could be the point). Two Girls and a Guy has some interesting ideas, but it doesn't really work as a film.

• May 07, 2015

This movie was a mess. The plot was non-existent and this was just one of those movies that you were like wtf is happening. I had no idea what to expect when watching this. Robert Downey Jr. did have an awesome performance even though it was hard to follow why he was doing the things he was doing

• Oct 20, 2014

Money. Someone needed a paycheck. That is why this film exists with these people in it.

• Sep 27, 2014

This story went nowhere and these 2 girls are idiots.

This story went nowhere and these 2 girls are idiots.

• Aug 25, 2014

RDJ pretty much shines in almost every film he's in... & this movie was no different... and now watching this movie, as oppose to when I was younger, I can the see the characteristics of what will later become the personality of "Iron Man"... also Wagner & especially Graham were quite excellent as well.

• Red L Super Reviewer
    Nov 17, 2013

The idea is good - two girls find out by accident that they have been dating the same guy for a year. They decide to confront him. But I didn't find Blake's excuses funny at all - in fact, I wondered what the two girls were still doing at his apartment after the first 15 minutes of the movie at all.

• Jan 04, 2013

While it would definitely work better on stage, this is an acting tour de force.... While both Heather Graham and Natasha Gregson Wagner give us fully-fleshed, hot blooded performances, this movie is THE testament to the astounding talents of Robert Downey, Jr. What we always knew he had is on full display, and he is riveting!

• Dec 13, 2012

Robert Downey, Jr. was excellent as always, but Natasha Gregson Wagner's performance was equivalent to a high school play.