Two Lovers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Two Lovers Reviews

½ February 27, 2010
This movie isn't work for me...
February 25, 2010
"Two Lovers" is an oddly dry film, lacking any emotion or sense of urgency throughout the picture.
February 24, 2010
Am I the only one who thought Phoenix was over-the-top in this? Tired of reading about his "wonderfully sensitive" performance.
½ February 23, 2010
intense romantic drama..definitely worth a watch....
½ February 23, 2010
Pheonix is good in this as a tortured soul as is Paltrow playing the fickle party-princess type that we're all familiar with. The film is well-made without the typical Hollywood gloss and at times feels like an indie film which adds to the realism. Great film but agree that the ending felt kinda rushed and unsatisfying. I'm not one for romantic dramas but this one was good.
½ February 22, 2010
Joaquin Phoenix did a good job in this.
February 22, 2010
30 minutes before the end, quickest female orgasm ever...the guy was so naive, and its odd how he can give her the ring at a party and not have anyone notice.
½ February 22, 2010
Un ragazzo debole, disadattato, alle volte impacciato si innamora della sua vicina di casa affascinante, debole e insicura. Una storia d'amore fuori dalle righe. Assolutamente consigliato!
½ February 21, 2010
Not a bad movie..kinda of unrealistic ending..a dark romance movei
½ February 21, 2010
Being an cynic I found this movie to be hardly believable (two girls would fall for the type of character Phoenix plays) in most cases but very realistic in other ways as in dialogue and alot of the acting pretty spot on. It's a decent romantic drama, anyone who likes Phoenix (before he snapped) and Gwyneth Paltrow will most likely love this movie. It's a very well done.
February 20, 2010
Two Lovers est le genre de film , sous-estimé par un manque de promotion , mais qui est pourtant d'une très bonne facture . Dans le genre film romantique , grosse décision d'amour entre 2 filles que le personnage principal , joué par Joaquin Phoenix , suivre l'une ou rester avec l'autre . Sans vous en dévoilez la fin , ce dernier joue à merveilles son rôle de grand baraqué et pourtant dans le fond du film , ce n'est qu'un homme de coeur , très sentimental .
James Gray a peut-être réussi son pari de sortir un film d'une bonne adresse , mais en France , ce film n'a pas fait d'émules puisque seulement 750 000 personnes sont allés voir Two Lovers pour 7 semaines . A vrai dire , c'est peu .
½ February 19, 2010
I don't really know what to think of this film, but it was good and I enjoyed it. I really liked that Joaquin had child like qualities.
February 19, 2010
Old hat as it's a romantic drama in New York around a Jewish family so on paper you're not expecting the wheel to be re-invented. but Joaquin Phoenix, who I usually dislike, is excellent in this. funnily enough I found Paltrow only par for once. I liked that this movie was almost always bleak and didn't offer any saccharine, especially the ending which I found sad. Good solid film without being spectacular, a nice character study.
February 18, 2010
Je n'ai pas du tout accroché... Je l'ai trouvé lent, plat, sans aucun rebondissement. Les personnages ne sont pas tellement attachants (et pourtant habituellement j'aime beaucoup Gwyneth !!) ; en particulier le personnage principal qui est d'une lâcheté incroyable du début à la fin ! D'ailleurs, même la fin m'a déçue... Je ne le conseille donc pas.
½ February 17, 2010
I liked this Movie, Phoenix was really good in it I thought, but Vinessa Shaw was the best part of this movie. I wish they would have had her as the lead and not the second fiddle. Still love you Gwyneth!
½ February 17, 2010
There have been many reports in the gossip columns that actor Joaquin Phoenix has gone off the rails. After a change of appearance and a really odd interview with David Letterman when he told everyone he wanted to be a Hip Hop artist , speculation has been rife. I get the impression that Joaquin Phoenix is a clever guy and likes to fuck with people and there is no doubting that this guy can act and in Two Lovers you can see why he is highly regarded as one of hollywood's finest actors.

Leonard Kraditor is a burned-out case, living with his immigrant parents after his fiancée left him, helping out at their Brooklyn dry cleaners, taking photographs, at loose ends, suicidal. In quick succession, he meets two women: Sarah, the daughter of his parents' business associates, frank, direct, sensual, Jewish like Leonard; and, his neighbor Michelle, mercurial, rootless, fun, blond, unattainable. Michelle is in love with a married man and cries on Leonard's shoulder; Sarah wants to save him. Is Leonard willing to risk losing Sarah's fidelity for the moments Michelle's moods swing toward him? Can this end well?

Two Lovers is an interesting movie . It's not your convectional love story . In fact it's more about wanting to be loved than being loved itself and i find that much more fascinating than just a straight down the line love story .
I'm not a fan of Gwyneth Paltrow . I think she is a highly overrated actress and for some reason i cant get that horrible Oscars speech exceptance out of my head every time i see her irritating face. So it comes as no surprise to hear that i think she is the underlying problem with this movie. She is hopelessly miscast.
Leonard is supposed to be in love with Michelle while turning down the affections of Sarah yet Sarah is the obvious on to choose simply because Paltrow makes Michelle so unlikable.

What i do like about this film is the character of Leonard. We know he's very unstable , from the opening scenes but just how unstable he is now? It's not clear right up to the final scene what path he is going to choose in life or which woman.
Two Lovers is a film that meanders along at times and yet never becomes boring and i think it's well worth a look.
February 16, 2010
This was nice. Very nice but in a very dark way. Grey atmosphere really caught my eye in this one and it's somewhat mesmerizing. Gloomy skies and rainy streets can really tell you a lot about Two Lovers. I was expecting a bit more positive story but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this dark but very inspiring piece of work.
Two Lovers tells a story about a guy named Leonard in his early thirties. An unhappy man still living with his middle-class parents, working for his father's small company and still single, with his fiancee abandoning him some time ago. He meets a girl named Sandra that is interested in him but he takes interest in his neighbour, pretty blonde named Michelle. His love life starts to get more complicated as he starts a relationship with Sandra, but is more involved in life of Michelle.
This is a pretty ordinary story that you must have encountered a few times but it still finds plenty to tell you about real life and different paths of one's heart. The dark undertone seperates it from most of the other similar stories. I had a lot of stuff going on in my mind during Two Lovers. I felt sorry for Leonard and absolutely justifed his actions even knowing they were wrong and they could never end up well. That is the essence of movies like this, feeling something for the characters and comparing your own life and similar stuff from it.
Joaquin Phoenix was great here. Perfectly average kind of guy, one you see in the street every day. He portrayed perfectly how his life did not go easy on him and how fragile, insecure and random his actions are. Gwyneth Paltrow was the same as always. Her face just rarely tells you anything different than what you have already seen in her previous films. She's pretty and is maybe a bit darker by behaviour than usually but nothing special. Oh, wait, there was something special: seeing her taking one boob out. I was like, wow. Haha.
Maybe a bit too serious and gloomy, Two Lovers will not satisfy all of the viewers but I still think the majority will see it as fresh. Joaquin is impressive here and the film makes you raise a few serious life questions and draw comparisons to your own actions in life so...Go see it, rent it, buy it, netflix it, cause I've enjoyed and you just might too.
February 15, 2010
gwyneth paltrow may be our planet's most beautiful woman. was joaquin supposed to be retarded in this film, or just troubled? LOVE isabella rossellini too!
February 15, 2010
Its premise isn't exactly original but the fluid execution, the memorable performances, and the authenticity of the characters elevate this film into a superb and compelling drama.
February 15, 2010
Paltrow's character being SO MUCH less interesting than Shaw's really drags the film down, but it's still warm and mature.