Two Minute Warning - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Two Minute Warning Reviews

½ December 2, 2015
Pretty much in the vein of '70s filmmaking, an extremely nihilistic film wrapped in cynicism to depict quite a bleak vision of mankind. It's always a pleasure to watch Jack Krugman and Cassavetes, but ultimately Two Minute Warning isn't much of anything.
½ June 22, 2015
This was a whole lot better than I expected. Keeping the motives and face of the sniper a secret added a real sense of paranoia and reality to the proceedings. Heston and Cassevetes are both suitably macho and intense, and most of the minor plot points work.
September 28, 2014
A psychotic lone gunman sets his sniper crosshairs on the crowd of a championship American Football game at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in this thriller from the 1970's.
Like all disaster flicks from around the same era, the build up consists of soap opera melodramatics as various characters are introduced, bearing no consequence to the plot except to build tension.
Perched above the scoreboard, the assassin picks out his victims through his sights as the big game unfolds on the pitch, while the LAPD & SWAT, aware of his presence, arm wrestle for control of the situation before the maniac begins opening fire.
When the gunfire finally does commence, the ensuing terror and panic causes more harm than the whizzing bullets as thousands of spectators flee for their lives, making for a dramatic, but rather anticlimactic finale when neither the gunman, nor his motives are explained.
It's a very well made thriller from a filmmaking standpoint, but it's the sort of film that will either keep you gripped from start to finish or make you fall asleep due to the build up which seems to drag on for eons.
½ August 1, 2014
Fast paced thriller starring Charlton Heston, Martin Balsam and John Cassavetes trying to prevent a sniper from going on a mass killing spree at the football championship game in the Los Angeles Coliseum. The plot gets bogged down by the spectators portrayed by a "B" level supporting cast and too much time is spent on their personal problems. David Janssen and Gena Rowlands are a quarreling middle aged couple; David Groh is a womanizing doctor; Walter Pidgeon is a pickpocket; and Beau Bridges is a man who's just lost his job and is trying to show his family a good time. I guess most notable of this group was Jack Klugman, who pretty much reprises his role of Oscar Madison, as a gambler who will be killed by his bookie if he does not win his bet on the game.

I guess the NFL did not want to be associated with this film because the film uses generic footage between two non-descript teams wearing uniforms. The long shots look like they were filmed in a game between USC and Stanford universities and the close up shots looked staged. The championship game is referred to as Championship X (replicating the Super Bowl's use of Roman numerals).

Despite these shortcomings, there is plenty of anticipatory action as the viewer waits to see who in the crowd survives the impending killing spree. The film's two hours were not wasted.
½ January 24, 2014
Friday, January 24, 2014

(1976) Two- Minute Warning

Plot less movie taken from the George LaFountaine novel centering on a sniper who has just shot and killed a person from a window for no reason while this guy was riding his bicycle with his wife. He then blatantly leaves the hotel as if nothing had ever happened setting his eyes on the 'Super Bowl'. Viewers never get to see the sniper's face as we see what he sees as he already has a place in mind. We're then introduced to some new characters who have nothing to do with the sniper or anything else for that matter as they're just regular people with regular problems. They include love lornes, a gambler, and a family doing typical things. Oh, yeah, Charlton Heston is the police sergent in charge of bringing down the sniper. And some other recognizable actors also star in this film as well such as Beau Bridges, John Cassavetes, Martin Balsam and acting veteran Walter Pigeon as they're also playing parts that don't seem to go anywhere either.

I must admit I actually dozed off at the first 30 minutes and things don't pick up until the last 40 minutes or so, because of the SWAT tactics and so forth. The ending was a real bummer since viewers never get to understand the sniper's motivations for this entire set up may have been inspired by the JFK assassination or from Bogdanvich's 1968 movie "Target".

1 star out of 4 stars
March 20, 2013
One of my favourite films growing up. The shear panic caused by one crazed marksman is tangible. Don't think they could remake this as it would be either utter pants or have a bunch of do-gooders saying its "controversial subject matter".
September 23, 2012
its a pretty good film. a little too much in depth with minor characters. there is not enough heston screen time.
September 21, 2012
70s star-studded flick focusing on a crazed Super Bowl shooter, the victims he claims and the cops whose job it is to stop him. Heston and Cassavetes star, although personal fav Jack Klugman steals scene after scene as a hapless gambler. While unique in presenting the tale of the victims first, the real action doesn't get going until, well, read the title again and spoil it for yourself. In the meantime, you just wonder how inept can a police force get in failing to stop this lunatic - even after spotting his exact location? Good last 20 minutes (and Klugman, again, is hilarious) but, overall, this football-with-fatalities fantasy drifts wide right.
½ July 13, 2012

This is a diffrent kind of thriller. And you also know who is going to get killed by the end. You wonder why there is a sniper at a football game, and you ask that question muitable times, but for so reason, I liked it, because you dont know why he's there. Its a weird film.
November 26, 2011
Two Minute Warning is another one of those movies that you have to be a bit patient w/ because when it gets to its last half an hour it pays dividends hence its title. This reminded me a lot of the disaster movies from the 70s. An all star cast that are all bit characters that @ the beginning don't really seem to have much baring other then time filler who in the end are just there to meet their ends. A terrorist football film that isn't as deep as Black Sunday but I ended up enjoying just as much. Since I wasn't able to watch the big game on Thanksgiving this sufficed & was probably more enjoyable then watching The Lions lose...Im sure Charlton Heston was trilled that he was able to squeeze off a couple of round in the end. He's not a proud member of the NRA for nothing you know
October 16, 2011
boring as hell, but all in all an unforgettable experience
½ September 28, 2011
horrible waste of time!
i sit through, and can enjoy most any film, but this truly is one of the instances i think "i'm not going to get that 2.5 hrs back"!
½ August 3, 2011
Good film. Kept me on the edge, but its alittle to long and by the time the first hour is done you are like "why has he not shot anyone yet"
August 1, 2011
Thrilling until the end. Great panic scene.
August 1, 2011
Thrilling until the end. Great panic scene.
½ July 28, 2011
½ May 31, 2011
Oi! Listen up all you awesome movies from the 70s I've never even heard of: You can't hide forever. I will find you and I will watch you and I will very much enjoy you!
½ December 15, 2010
What more can you ask for? NFL (or at least a movie version), Charlton Heston proper over-acting, a realism & grit that only 1970s movies ever displayed and good old Quincy off the telly getting snipered in cold blood!! Classic stuff from the days when directors had the balls not to buckle under Hollywood studio pressure. No sugary endings here unlike the ones that marred even the best films of the 1980s.
November 9, 2010
I enjoyed myself working on it as an actor. I played the part of Carl Cook, alias 'The Sniper'
½ October 25, 2010
It has some chilling moments.
An enjoyable film.