Two Years Before the Mast Reviews

• Nov 30, 2015

another sea actioner like 'captain blood' & 'the spanish main"

another sea actioner like 'captain blood' & 'the spanish main"

• Feb 20, 2015

This movie was a staple on The Early Show in Pittsburgh, Pa., which started at 4 p.m., just as we were getting home from school as kids. They ran all the great old 40s and 50s films that were classic adventures, like this one, which began my preteen crush on the hunky Alan Ladd. It's a great sea story, like Moby Dick and The Spanish Main, Captain Blood, The Caine Mutiny, Treasure Island, etc. We loved them all! But be warned! I tried to read the book and that was a mistake, unless you love DETAILED (and I mean hundreds of pages) of description of the day to day business of running a ship. Think the endless descriptions of boiling down whale blubber in Moby Dick. If you loved the unabridged edition of that book, you'll probably love the book of Two years Before the Mast. Just don't try it looking for the adventure story of this entertaining movie.