Two-Lane Blacktop Reviews

• Nov 09, 2019

Excellent period piece.

Excellent period piece.

• Aug 11, 2019

If you're a fan of drag racing and the great looking "muscle- cars" of days gone by, this film is amazing. However, other than Oates' masterful and understated performance, the other leads are nothing more than movie-props in this meandering tale of life during the era when fast cars where commonplace on the dirt roads and lonely streets of America.

• Dec 28, 2018

Car guys have this listed as a must see. I am a car guy and this was one of the biggest wastes of time in my life. I have an on-going joke with my friend who lent me this movie. I told him how I wanted to punch him in the face for letting me waste time watching this pile of garbage. This movie was worse than back to the future 3 and rocky 5 combined.

• Sep 05, 2018

This just became an overnight favorite for me, as I knew it would. I love road/car movies and this is easily one of the best I've ever seen. It chronicles the existential ennui bubbling beneath male friendship and obsession and depicts the uniquely American thirst for an endless road to nowhere. The film is minimalist and makes the audience hunger for more and a deeper understanding of what's going on, which is the same journey the characters are taking. The characters are archetypes that become surprisingly intimate as the film slowly progresses. Taylor stays perfectly in a state of unease and annoyance throughout while Wilson charms and Oates beguiles every person he encounters. What does the movie mean? Why is a drive-in movie about street racers so brooding? The movie invites you to let it get under your skin and come back determined to figure it out, only to realize the answers are somewhere up the road, and you can never get there fast enough.

• Dec 31, 2017

A disillusioned driver and his mechanic hustle their way across America's fledgling drag racing circuit. Their monotonous wayward drift is interrupted by a chance meeting with a young female hitchhiker and several heated impromptu arguments with the owner of a Pontiac GTO, who decides to challenge them to a cross country race, with pink slips as the stakes. The rumble of engines tearing down the open road has never sounded better on film. Two-Lane Blacktop proved that the most interesting story of the 60's was about those who suffered in painful isolation deprived of an audience to regal. These poor souls abandoned society for the open road in search of something to cling on to even if it was just a mirage.

• Jun 29, 2017

This movie's great. It reminds me a lot of Easy Rider only with cars and everything's competitive. I love the random humor in this movie, it surprised me. This movie is really laid back, pretty groovy and far out. It's pretty funny and really interesting to see rivals be so friendly to each other and helping each other out when they should be trying to kill one another. But the laid back feel of this movie just sets the whole tone. What's so interesting about the movie is that you don't really know anything about the main characters lives, rarely do they speak of their personal lives. But the strangers that get into their cars, you sort of know almost everything about them. Like the old lady and little girl who lost both her parents. Really touching stuff. Overall, great movie! Didn't completely knock my socks off like Easy Rider but it comes close.

• Jan 26, 2017

Knowing this was a low budget film, it had a good sense of showing expressions and thoughts thanks to the slower, but focused camera shots. It didn't end in any real bang, but the overall concept for this type of film wasn't bad (especially with the engaging humor now and then).

• Jan 15, 2017

A great classic road movie.

A great classic road movie.

• Jul 24, 2016

I really enjoyed this movie and I am not even sure I can really explain what it was about. At it's core, it just about 4 people, in 2 cars racing across country, but there's more going on. The dialogue is minimal, and it stars 2 musicians in their only performances, Dennis Wilson and James Taylor. It also stars the great Warren Oates who is excellent in this. The cars are cool and I was never bored for a second. This film may not be for everyone, but I enjoyed it!

Peter B Super Reviewer
    Jun 20, 2016

With little dialogue and zero character development, this is a very unique flick. There are things to like. Some of the scenery shots are beautiful and the film has a relaxing, chugging, pleasantness about it. However, what little there was of a plot fizzled out into nothingness. If you like films about nothing, this one is for you.