Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas Reviews

½ November 25, 2016
This was a fun movie . The Madea character is very funny. Good holiday film . Cool story and great message .
October 23, 2016
All of her movies are great and hilarious
½ October 23, 2016
Love this movie! Had me laughing from beginning to end
½ September 24, 2016
This is a movie, I mean this crap is a piece of crap!!!
August 5, 2016
I loved the first few but Tyler Perry started to bore me. This one changed it all. HILARIOUS movie. Funniest Madea movie in a WHILE. Loved it
March 1, 2016
Always love Tyler perry movies & plays
January 19, 2016
Watched it a few times ..love it
December 27, 2015
Ok, so this movie is not very good at all, but the saving grace for me is (big surprise) Madea! I would pay full price just to see Madea talk for an hour and a half straight. I laughed out loud numerous times at some of the dialogue she says in this movie. So if you're a Madea fan like me, you'll love this movie. If not, don't bother.
½ December 25, 2015
These Madea movies were old several movies ago. This is one of the worst of the bunch. Boring, unfunny dialogue, paper thin story, you know what to expect. For fans only but I bet even their patience is running thin.
½ November 23, 2015
It was ok good for a home laugh but that is about it!
November 22, 2015
terry Perry is a one of a kinda. jus beautiful from the inside and out too funny. the movie jus makes the holiday even better
November 21, 2015
With a fun cast and enough laughs A Madea Christmas is a passable holiday special though it's stereotypes and shallow writing will keep it from becoming anything more than that.
October 19, 2015
I loved it an it was funny a movie i would love to own
½ September 16, 2015
I will admit that it is somewhat by design that I arrived late to the cult of Tyler Perry and by extension to the fatuous imbecile whose perplexing popularity inspires him to put on a dress and a grey wig. Either you get onboard with this Madea character or you don't. Personally, I don't. I find the character grating, like fingernails on a blackboard; an outdated stereotype that sets the course of African-Americans back at least three quarters of a century. I know it sounds like I'm being a stick in the mud, but seriously, every time I see this character I feel a desperate need to be anywhere else. She's a motor-mouthed battle-axe somewhere in her 70s who perpetually dresses in muumuus and spouts ignorance one minute and biblical platitudes the next.

What's interesting is that despite the title, Madea really has nothing to do with Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas. The character appears in a plot that she's not involved in and then just kind of buzzes around it. There really isn't any point to the character being in the movie. When she is, she becomes part of set pieces that are slapped together like pieces and parts of a bad sitcom. At one moment, she's fussing about wrapping paper; another she makes a pit stop during a road trip to use the restroom and finds a Klan meeting; the rest of the time she sits on the sidelines and watches the plot go by.

This is my second exposure to this character after the bizarrely ham-fisted I Can Do Bad All By Myself (a title that applied most aptly to Perry's talent as a filmmaker). Both films, to be honest, are a chore to sit through if you aren't in love with Perry's alter ego. While Christmas is slightly better than the previous film, that's basically comparing ointment to suppository - take a look at my rating. What comes to light in this film, and in last year's laughably clumsy melodrama Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor is how inept Perry is as a filmmaker.

I'm not kidding, A Madea Christmas is so badly shot and so poorly edited that for a time I wondered if I was watching a rough cut of the film. There are moments when characters move out of the frame and the cameraman doesn't know what to do, so he simply zooms in on the actor left on the screen. There are moments during dialogue scenes that the camera focuses on a character who isn't talking and clearly the actor doesn't know he/she is being filmed. There are scenes and dialogue that simply stop as if the actors are signaling for another take.

Not that the story of Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas would have been any better with improved production values. This is a moronic film. It opens with an insufferable comic set-piece that finds Madea working with her great-niece Eileen (Anna-Maria Horsford) in a department store dressed as Santa Claus. I could say that shenanigans ensue except that while the idea of having Madea work customer service would seem to be a perfect comic opportunity for the character, the scene lasts five minutes before she is abruptly dismissed for opening her big mouth. Advertising plays up the fact that this idea is the movie, but no, like a lot of subplots in this movie, it is brought up and then never dealt with again.

That idea dropped, the plot quickly moves to a country town somewhere in Alabama (which, based on the offensive and outdated stereotypes presented, should be noted kun-tree) where Madea travels with Eileen to visit her daughter Lacey (Tika Sumpter) who doesn't want her mother to visit for Christmas because she's hiding the fact that she's engaged to a white man - Ho HO! What could come of that is developed in a particularly offensive subplot in which Eileen becomes convinced that Lacey's fiancÚ and her parents (Kathy Najimy and Larry the Cable Guy) are members of the Klan. Why? Well, she walked in on her parents while the father had a bedsheet over his head. Yeah! It's also so we can have a lot of speechifying about race relations and getting along, which Tyler Perry delivers with a sledge hammer.

The rest of the plot involves the town, a farming community, that has hit hard times ever since a dam was built by Evil Soulless Corporation Incorporated. They're main struggle in the movie is to have an annual jubilee that somehow will keep the town from going under financially. I'm not exactly sure how the jubilee is suppose to help, or why the farmers are harvesting their crops in December. I'm also not sure why Tanner (Chad Michael Murray), one of the neighboring farmers who lives close to Connor, insist that he not grow corn since he himself grows corn despite the fact that Connor has developed a way to grow corn without water. I may not know so much about farming, but I never thought it was a problem for two farmers to grow the same crop - and also that corn can't grow without water!!

This is an illustration of a long list of things that - based on the films he makes - that Terry doesn't know about. In I Can Do Bad All By Myself, it becomes clear that he has a misunderstanding of how AA and child protective services work. In Temptation, it becomes clear that he has a misunderstanding of how the business world works and how therapy works. Here, it becomes clear that he has a misunderstanding of how agriculture works and how small local governments work. I don't know if it's just him if he thinks his audience won't notice. Rarely have I ever seen a filmmaker who has less respect for his audience's basic understanding of the world.
August 30, 2015
awesome, great message
August 29, 2015
This is one of Tyler perrys better movies I do recommend this movie
½ August 20, 2015
"That's right folks, Madea is back and Larry the Cable Guy can have her"
DVD Movie Review: Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas
Date Viewed: November 18 2014
Written and Directed By, let me guess Tyler Perry (Madea's Witness Protection, Madea Goes to Jail and Madea's Big Happy Family)
Starring: Tyler Perry, Larry the Cable Guy,
Kathy Najimy, Eric Lively, Tika Sumpter, Chad Michael Murray, Anna Maria Horsford,
Lisa Whelchel, Alicia Witt, JR Lemon, Caroline Kennedy and Ashlee Heath.

Just when you think "The Nutcracker in 3D" was the worst Christmas movie of all time, now we have "Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas", an idiotic comedy that served as a lump of coal for people who went to see it last year. A month after it was released, it received six Razzie nominations including Worst Picture. Tyler Perry won a Worst Actress Razzie for his umpteenth performance as Madea and she has become even more annoying than Big Momma. Not only has Tyler Perry made the worst Madea movie yet, he has even brought along one of the most untalented comedians of all time to join him for his Christmas nightmare. If you guessed Martin Lawrence, you are wrong, believe it or not it's Larry the Cable Guy. This is not a joke, Perry and the Cable Guy are in a movie together.

In the latest installment of a franchise that just won't end, Madea (Perry) gets coaxed into helping her overbearing friend, Eileen (Anna Maria Horsford) pay a surprise visit to her daughter, Lacey (Tika Sumpter). Most of the movie takes place in a small, rural town as it prepares for it's annual Christmas Jubilee but unfortunately the city doesn't have the money to pay for it so Lacey asks her former boyfriend Oliver (JR Lemon) to help her pay for the jubilee. Once Oliver arrives, he brings along Madea and Eileen which surprises Lacey who has a white husband.

Lacey and Conner Williams (Eric Lively) are secretly married and she doesn't want to tell mom about the marriage because her husband was killed by a white man. As for Madea, she's up to her usual shenanigans. She has a brief confrontation with the Ku Klux Klan and when she becomes a substitute teacher at a small school, she gets into a fit with a bratty little girl who stole her purse. What does Madea do with the bratty girl? She ties her up at a wooden Church cross just like Jesus Christ. Is Tyler Perry a terrible writer or what?

Even worse and I mean really worse, Conner's parents, Kim and Buddy Williams (Kathy Najimy and Larry the Cable Guy) come for a visit as well and we also have a subplot involving one of Lacey's students trying to succeed in school but his jerky father (Chad Michael Murray) wants him to be a farmer instead of staying in school. Enough with the jerky father cliche Perry, it's getting old just like Madea herself. Eileen is uncomfortable with her daughter being a white man and she believes that Conner's parents are members of the Ku Klux Klan, because she saw Buddy wearing a white sheet on his head. Wanna hear bad Larry the Cable Guy jokes everybody! When Buddy learns that Lacey is vegetarian, he calls her a Tofu farter. HA! HA! HA! HA! Oh Larry, YOUR JOKES ARE SO BAD! Also, Buddy even mentions somebody using Prilosec OTC. That's it Larry, No more Prilosec OTC for you! Will Madea bring Christmas spirit to this small town? Seriously, Who Cares!

"A Madea Christmas" is an unfunny and cheerless experience and who thought putting Madea and Larry the Cable Guy together in a movie was a good idea? Obviously, it wasn't Santa Claus.
August 18, 2015
Not Tyler Perry's best but entertaining.
July 27, 2015
not better than others
July 19, 2015
I love all his movies & this one was up their with the rest great