Tyrannosaur - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tyrannosaur Reviews

½ August 11, 2014
An odd couple living on borrowed time--Paddy Considine has made a monster...!!
July 20, 2014
Gut wrechingly powerful and an amazing performance by Olivia Colman. It's amazing how Considine makes the grim West Midlands look and feel so eerie.
July 2, 2014
Best of British, but not an easy watch
½ May 2, 2014
Paddy Considine....what..!! That was my initial reaction...A brilliant ,dark movie that juggles with a unemployed widower meets christian worker relationship..! What a fine surprise and what performances..! Kudos
April 29, 2014
A painfully truthful, confident, and well-written debut feature for Considine.
March 29, 2014
Paddy needs to direct more features, Coleman & mullan both play complicated but outstanding characters. Gut wrenching, hopeful and desperately involving.
March 6, 2014
What a great film. Sterling performances all-round.
½ March 3, 2014
Great acting .... Sad movie ..
February 18, 2014
Stunningly acted, gritty & powerful.
February 15, 2014
was drunk while watching. 'cause of that?
½ February 10, 2014
Bitter picture of pathology and question who really evil is. a man who doing bad things to make things better or society doing nothing against evil.
January 30, 2014
Hard to appreciate the lead character when he kills a dog in the first scene of the film.
½ January 25, 2014
Such violent manifestations, be them emotional, physical or psychological, most often carry a complex troubled background, and they are the most immediate remedies our soul can find to externalize our inner demons. When one is in such alarming state, the person becomes extremely dangerous to society, that same society that gave him/her birth. It is, therefore, impossible for that person to cope and to find an ideal place, because the state of mind is doomed to be volatile and destroyed. For such a person, it is equally easy to inflict violence just like it is easy for the soul to cry when you hear God's calling.

Peter Mullan stars as Joseph, a man with no family and no valuable or healthy friends to help him fight against his inner demons. On the contrary, they contribute to his downward slowping spiral in a more subtle manner. But the world is the world, and it shall stay like that. The only options we have are either to stay strong, or to fall, like the song "Sing All Our Cares Away" by Damien Dempsey says.

His counterpart is Hannah, a Christian owner of a charity shop. This is not a religious film. Rather, one of the topics present is how people stick to their believes and fight against any possible source that questions them. It also touches briefly how we are experts at judging the entire lives of people that we have never known with very little evidence. Truth is, we do not know anything about anybody. We do not even ourselves perfectly. We are a puzzle that we do not understand. That is why we need others, but most importantly, God.

Paddy Considine directs a short array of characters in an extremely depressing film. The film is honest and very real, so those looking for an idealized story proceed with caution or stay away. Nevertheless, a proper emotional balance is created halfway through after the sequence of events have punished audiences enough, with a soothing scene that represents one of the few moments of joy in the film:

Michael's out of work
Feels he's sinking in the murk
He's unshaven and a mess
Finds it hard some days to dress

Stevie smashed the delf
Cos he can't express himself
He's consumed by rage
Like his father at his age

Rita's little child
Has a lovely little smile
But this means nothing to her father
Because he's never even seen her

We sing
Sing all our cares away
We'll live
To fight another day

Yeah, we sing
Sing all our cares away
Yeah, we'll live
To love another day

We grow strong from it all
We grow strong
Or we fall

We grow strong!

January 19, 2014
Whoa... deep breath... What an amazing film.

I saw this out of interest having heard that it was Paddy Considine's writing/directing debut, and having seen that it had received decent reviews.

Then when the opening credits rolled and I saw Peter Mullan was in it, I knew I was in for a treat.

How neither Mullan nor his equally amazing co-star Olivia Colman didn't receive Oscar nods, let alone wins, is beyond me. The same goes for Considine whose activities I'll be watching intently now in the hope of another stellar effort like this.

I'd love to recommend it to anyone, but it's pretty brutal, and whilst redemptive, is still bleak at times, and is most certainly not for animal lovers (well I'm an animal lover, but if violence against animals on screen isn't something you can watch, steer clear... it's incidental and instrumental, not gratuitous, but it's there).
January 9, 2014
Phenomenally powerful film. Very moving but brutal, uncompromising and upsetting. Watch it when you're feeling strong.
January 5, 2014
Heartbreaking but brilliant. British cinema at its best.
January 3, 2014
Saw this at my sisters a while ago. Compulsive viewing but not really entertainment if you know what I mean? In the vein of Schindlers List and Brokeback Mountain keeps you watching with a story that must be told but not there to entertain.
December 27, 2013
Dark. Honest. Incredibly well acted.
December 23, 2013
Very hardcore! Cracking performances throughout. Watch it!
December 21, 2013
A raw portrayal of fractured lives from both sides of the class divide. Unflinching and difficult to watch at times but the two lead performances as as strong as any you are likely to see. The story meanders a bit in the third act but this in excellent directorial debut from Considine.