U2 3D - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

U2 3D Reviews

November 7, 2015
This movie is incredibly. The best 3D I've ever seen. And U2 is also one of my favorite bands.
½ October 21, 2013
Best concert movie EVER! And from the best band EVER!
½ March 14, 2013
I waited five years to see this film before it finally showed in a theatre near me, and I was not disappointed. U2 3D features the band as filmed in several shows throughout Central and South America on the last leg of the Vertigo tour. It is equal parts concert film and technical marvel, as it was (and still remains) one of the most complex films made at a live event, considering the type and number of cameras used. (It is telling that U2 has not allowed this to be released on home video yet because the technology has not caught up to the quality they want it to be seen in even five years later.) Of course, the star is not the tech; it's the four members of U2 and their music, both of look incredible in 3D. There were not many moments that the 3D really popped, as it was often used for texture or layering, particularly in filming the crowd, but the times in which Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry played to the camera were striking and memorable. The music itself is, well, incredible, and I really appreciated seeing a number of songs performed as they were throughout the Vertigo tour, including the entire "Coexist" routine and "Sunday Bloody Sunday". "The Fly" was particularly memorable, as was "Where the Streets Have No Name", and the version of "Yahweh" that plays over the closing credits is perhaps my favourite version of that song. I wish that, at the least, that the band would release the soundtrack for this film, even if they hang on to the film itself for the foreseeable future. My only criticism is that the film is too short at only fourteen songs and just under an hour and a half, as I would have loved to see "City of Blinding Lights" or one of the songs from "Boy" that they revived for the tour. U2 3D is a fantastic picture of a moment not only in the history of one of the biggest bands of the world, but also of how music and film are evolving in the 21st century. I can't wait to see it again...someday.
February 2, 2013
This is absolutely amazing film. Gotta SEE in IMAX! Fantastic!
December 31, 2012
Simply stunning and gets full marks as a cinematic experience. Haven't seen anything in 3D for many years so I was a bit "ho-hum" going in. U2 3D was jaw dropping with amazing visuals with truly unbelievable sound. It really makes you feel like you're there. Seeing it at Imax (Melbourne) just added to the overall experience for me. A must see!
December 16, 2012
Simply phenomenal!!! It's like you're actually at one of their concerts. Highly recommended...even if you're not that big of a U2 fan.
April 15, 2012
Awesome experience. The cinematography was great, the sound was fantastic, and it's U2! My only complaint was that the audience was eerily quiet.
March 27, 2012
Amazing film in 3D at imax. Totally immersive.
½ January 1, 2012
Entertaining if narcissistic, short, and distracted.
November 18, 2011
Awesome! I would go see it again and again!
September 18, 2011
Seeing U2 in IMAX 3D blew my mind. It was like seeing all of the lighting and flashing words (especially in the song "One") in a regular concert, except it all was realistically coming out at you. All the songs here were great (I was even introduced to a few that I'd never heard before), and the performance was beautiful. Therefore, U2 3D is worth seeing in IMAX if it's still there; I don't know if it was released to DVD.
½ June 2, 2011
Awesome! This was probably even better than the real concert. The only way to see this is in IMAX 3D.
½ February 20, 2011
Not quite better than the real thing, especially since it's only 80 minutes and it's a start and stop affair. But still a great concert video and 3D is better used here than in 80% of productions since it's time.
February 3, 2011
It's no Rattle & Hum, but it's still a spectacle. Awesome performances from the lads and the 3D works as you feel like you're there. Even better, you can see them up close. On The Fly, the 3D effects went crazy and it was eye-popping. If you're not able to see the band live, this is the next best thing.
January 1, 2011
I gotta admit I was a little skeptical of the new 3D technology since I came of age in the 80's and remember the flimsy green and red paper specs, but I couldn't have asked for a better re-introduction to the new technology than this film. The band U2 has been responsible for some of the best and most respected music of the past 30 years, and when you combine it with this amazing new format, the result is nothing short of jaw-dropping.
The filmmakers have assembled a near-perfect song selection from the band's most recent tour, and the IMAX sound system engulfs you in the music. Couple that wth what is quite simply the most amazing 3D I have ever seen, and you've got the most realistic concert-going experience you can imagine without having actually been there. Shortly after the movie got started, I had to resist the urge to leap to my feet and applaud wildly. You become so involved that you forget where you're at.
The film was shot at a show in Argentina, and watching the sold-out crowd sing along and respond to the music gives you a new appreciation for the universal appeal of good songs and themes that touch all people. U2 is one of the best, and this is a simple concert film that amps up the entertainment value with this astonishing new format.
December 21, 2010
This was really cool! Also made me remember how good that tour was! U2: Greatest band in the world!!!
½ November 15, 2010
So I went to see this movie being the true U2 fan that I am and I have to say that I wasn't as impressed with this concert as I have been with other concert DVDs such as U2 Go Home: Live at Slane Castle, or Rattle and Hum. The set list was close to what I remember from when I saw them live for the Vertigo tour however some of the more obscure stuff had been edited out. The most obscure song they perform in this version is "Miss Sarajevo". From the new album they play "Vertigo", "Love and Peace", and "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own", with an acoustic version of "Yahweh" during the credits. None of these could be considered my favorite songs from this album unfortunately and the live versions were slightly annoying in my opinion. Other than that you can hear pretty much all the rest of the songs by listening to the radio on any given day. Not that that's a bad thing. I understand the audience is geared towards a very broad and general group and I understand that I am probably in a small percentile of that group who would rather hear some different songs than these. So based on set list I can't rate this much higher than I have. As for the 3D experience, well let me just say it was amazing. I have no doubt that casual and non fans would enjoy this a lot more than I did. As for me, I'm going to watch U2: Go Home again.
½ August 28, 2010
So awesome! Great music (obviously) and cinematography. You'll nearly get whacked in the head repeatedly by Adam Clayton's bass guitar handle... or so it seems. St. John's people - check this out at the Johnson's Geo Centre, if you're even a minor fan of U2.
August 7, 2010
Saw it at the MN Zoo Imax in 3D...pretty cool
July 18, 2010
Best. Concert. Film. EVER. It's so good it's ALMOST like being there live! The film is a collection of songs taken from the South American leg of the Vertigo tour and features some all time classics as well as a few gems from "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb". 3D technology is at its finest here as you will feel like you are part of the concert's audience!