U2: Rattle and Hum - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

U2: Rattle and Hum Reviews

April 15, 2015
Love U2 but there overrated live act shows in this average at best concert doc.
½ January 24, 2015
People are right about Bono. He was a prick back then too. In fact the whole band seemed a bit sheepish in the interview parts. Expected more maturity at that stage in the career of U2
July 19, 2013
Of all the concert dvd/documentaries I've seen, this is the best. A standard for how concerts should be filmed.
June 19, 2013
This was a good movie but old the 80s
½ March 15, 2013
Among the best concert films ever.
December 24, 2012
5 starts for Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride alone.... It's not like rest of the songs are not great... they are awesome too!
December 22, 2012
U2 are the ultimate marmite musicians. If you love 'em, you really love 'em, and vice versa. For me, some of their tracks are very good, but sometimes the 30-year-long collection of plaudits they've received can be very annoying. I mean come on, give someone else some credit! But this is an OK documentary/concert movie, charting U2's blues-rock phase, and particularly interesting considering this was only three years before they entered their euro-dance influenced midlife crisis phase with Achtung Baby.
October 25, 2012
A must see for U2 fans, casual or die hard. This is a gritty, realistic portrayal of this brilliant band filmed in their stomping grounds of Dublin. The version of "I Still Haven't Found.." with the gospel choir from Harlem is worth the price of admission.
½ September 30, 2012
One of U2's most underappreciated albums from the band's golden era, unfortunately, is also U2 at its most unbearably preachy and self-absorbed. The film doesn't reinvent the concert-doc wheel, but it does offer a wealth of awesome movie and an interesting insight into U2's "Joshua Tree" to "Achtung Baby" transition period. A must-see for U2 fans.
July 28, 2012
Never mind the boring interviews....the fact that U2 played with a church choir...and with BB King...rocks the planet...
July 4, 2012
There is some great black and white shooting. Under rated documentary
April 29, 2012
Documenting one of the greatest rock bands ever touring on the back what many consider their most inspired and brilliant album. Absolutely magnificent performances that mix the spiritual overtones of Bono's socio-political leanings together with the mythology of America and the hope that it's held for so many in Bono's homeland of Ireland. Bono employs his powerful voice and indeed he is worthy of the title Bono Vox,which means good voice, to the service of his thesis that America is still a beacon of hope at the close of the century for so many who seek moral and social justice. He sermonizes with the fire of a preacher on stage and indeed the band does collaborate with a gospel choir on I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Amazing film about a great band at the peak of their career!
½ March 14, 2012
In the late 80's there was only one musical influence over me. His name was Michael Jackson. But I remember when Rattle And Hum hit the theaters in 1988 and I sort of swore never to see it... It was the total opposite to MJ's magical mystery tour. MJ had Moonwalker and U2 had Rattle And Hum. I chose Moonwalker any day of the week, but needless to say I didn't know what I was missing. I saw the film some 19 years later and this time it won me over - big time! Rattle And Hum has some of the finest U2 live footage ever put on film. If Outside Broadcast never materialises as a DVD or Bluray release, then this is U2 at the to of their game.
½ January 21, 2012
I remember watching this film in the theater. Quite good concert film and about their kickass album The Joshua Tree.
December 3, 2011
As a big fan of this great foursome, I would have to say this film was OK. The album of the same title is a classic, but thank God they reinvented themselves in their subsequent albums. Many of the critics didn't get this musical documentary. Many believed that U2 came across as being self righteous, bombastic, and trying to place themselves among the ranks of the Rock n roll greats that they referenced in the film. I suppose there is room for open interpretation there.
½ July 3, 2011
Weaker upon a few subsequent viewings, but nonetheless an essential, authoritative account of Joshua Tree-era U2. The for-the-most-part decision to utilize black and white photography is a smart one. A nice album companion.
June 12, 2011
Still one of my fav rock docs.
April 30, 2011
Great documentary of the band.
April 4, 2011
I guess i liked this movie when it came out in the 90s. I still like the band and the way it was filmed in 2011.
½ March 23, 2011
It's quite funny that critics of the time said U2 were pretentious and too self-righteous here - if they'd seen how far Bono would eventually go they would have realised they were getting off lightly. Yes the band do come off a little too 'earnest' in this documentary, and their exploration of and homage to great American music of the past does kind of feel like they are shoe-horning themselves in as a continuation of that legacy, but to be fair on them, at the time they were actually the biggest band on the planet, they were just coming off the success of The Joshua Tree album which was an instant classic, and the music and live performances featured here are good. It should be remembered that this film was released when the likes of Stock Aitken and Waterman were ruling the UK music charts, so whatever they may have become now and whatever pretensions they may have had back then, U2 were still a breath of fresh air in what was a mediocre era for music.