The Ugly American - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ugly American Reviews

January 5, 2009
I thinkthis will be a good movie
November 26, 2008
Great film, I liked it
November 24, 2008
Englund's direction fails to spark any excitement in the audience, but Brando's volatile and passionately emotional performance keeps the film afloat. An interesting enough story and impressive enough acting that I would say this is a must-see for any Brando fan.
November 14, 2008
It's been awhile since I've seen this, but it popped into mind upon hearing about gun sales increasing in the States. I figure we're in for some tough times ahead, and there won't be any shortage of desperate people out there. Somehow, I hope people will remain calm and weather well the coming storm.
½ September 11, 2008
See why Marlon is one of the greatest actors of all time. His scene at Diong's house where they both shout at each other is bone chilling.

A little dated but consider what leaps it made for 1963.
September 4, 2008
45 years, plus ca change...
August 16, 2008
I dont want to write for days on end, but the ending saids everything that needed to be said, in literally a simple switch. The whole film in general was first class. Marlon Brando was a true genius.
June 22, 2008
I love it when Marlon Brando cares about something, especially in movies, because then he does an amazing job. This movie tells a very good story that involves American imperialism at one of it's worst times: during the fight to rid the world of communism. It was an interesting reflection of the world at the time, and the two main actors did an awesome job.
½ March 26, 2008
i don't care if it's boring. marlon brando could own you at anything.
½ March 7, 2008
interesting movie. a good performance by brando. i just stuck in there to watch him. that godfather character in him does pop up every so often
January 21, 2008
A good book that was made into an OK film.
January 6, 2008
I think that the political agenda got tangled in the plot of this film, and neither came off the better. It becomes difficult to decipher whether it condemns the actions of the Americans, or those of the State, or the invadng Communist forces. Neither does it fully allow the viewer to assess the actions to Brando's ambassador. There are fair performances by all cast members, but all are working against a current.
January 6, 2008
Brando is amazing, and the story rings true if a bit hard too neutral.
December 18, 2007
The Ugly American is a pretty good little movie which seems to have been lost in the shuffle. Marlon Brando is very good as a propaganda spewing US Ambassador in a fictional Southeast Asian country in political turmoil. He makes the mistake in thinking that the political uprising is communist, when in reality they are fighting the communists just as much as the Americans. It is a bit dull at times, but not too bad. Worth watching if you're a big Brando fan. Overall 2.5/4 Stars Grade = B-
½ November 11, 2007
GW should watch this
September 25, 2007
Quietly interesting. Brando is as handsome as ever, which always helps...
August 26, 2007
Aww D'Aprile, you mother fucker.
August 26, 2007
The Chris Johnson story.
August 15, 2007
great brando flick, american pathos well scrutinised
½ August 4, 2007
It's amazing how things come around again, but in a slightly different way. In the heated American political environment this film is worth taking a loot at.