Ulee's Gold - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ulee's Gold Reviews

½ July 7, 2016
A modest drama that makes up for it's trite script with a strong performance from Peter Fonda, and an unwavering earnest sense to it.
April 23, 2016
A richly layered and gracefully told family drama about the titular beekeeper keeping his clan together during his busiest harvesting season.
August 17, 2015
Saw in theater. Didn't think much of it, as i recall. btw, this was not the PF made famous in Easy Rider, but at least he made another movie after Easy Rider.
½ May 12, 2015
Peter Fonda gives as fine a performance as his dad Henry ever did in this low key slow burn masterpiece.
½ April 10, 2015
Kind of boring to begin with but Peter Fonda, Patricia Richardson, and Jessica Biel give good performances
October 27, 2014
gr8 indie drama-well done
August 24, 2014
This was an okay movie, very low key, helped along by Peter Fonda who is exceptional. He plays Ulee, a reserved Florida bee keeper forced to put his splintered family back together when his incarcerated son asks for a favour. Solid acting with some great scenes between Fonda and Patricia Richardson. The budget is low but that doesn't affect anything. Also includes a young Jessica Biel. The quiet beekeeping scenes are beautifully done. 8/23/14
July 13, 2014
Wonderful story and very original. Jessica Biel's first movie as well. She is wonderful.
May 16, 2014
Not a bad film that shows what can be accomplished with a low budget and solid acting but there have been better.
January 6, 2014
1/4/14 Thanks a lot critics for giving this film such a high rating and making me waste 2 hours of my life. The film is just plain boring. I think the acting is bad too. I call Peter Fonda's acting in this film, "clint Eastwood" style. Completely monotone and stoic. I could do this kind of acting because all you have to do is show no emotion. Very little happens in the film and I kept wondering why I was watching it. I thought there might be something at the end, but not really. The last half hour is the best, and that is the only reason why I didn't give it zero stars.
October 20, 2013
This is a well acted quietly beautiful film. Peter Fonda does a great job as the emotionally closed grandfather who has taken in his jailed son's two daughters. The ups and downs of this dysfunctional family draws you in and makes you care about what will ultimately happen to this family
August 18, 2013
I think I found this mildly entertaining and seem to remember liking Peter Fonda in it, but it obviously didn't blow me away like it did other critics.
June 14, 2013
A lovely story of redemption and beekeeping. Peter Fonda gives a beautiful quiet performance.
February 23, 2013
One of my favourite's of the 90's. Peter Fonda should have got an oscar. Where is the blu-ray???
December 14, 2012
Peter Fonda pulls his best Clint Eastwood imitation in this slow-burn drama. Almost from the get-go you feel a pit in your stomach which doesn't dissipate, even at the end. Backed by a solid supporting cast and a wonderful original score.
December 5, 2012
Zzzzzzzzzzzz....Oh! Peter Fonda being cool!.....Zzzzzzzzz
November 14, 2012
Been meaning to watch this for 15 years & finally got around to it. Ulee's Gold is one of those rare quiet gems that you could almost consider a cult classic. But it's not Monster Squad or Boondock Saints cult classic. This is more Ordinary People/Blue Valentine classic. It's just an obviously low budget film that's got a great script & memorable performances. Peter Fonda is sensational as the unconventional, soft spoken superhero Ulee Jackson. His performance is one of the best of the 90's & showed the audience a depth of talent that hadn't been displayed in his 30+ years of acting prior to this, kinda like Martin Landau in Ed Wood. The rest of the performances are solid, but Fonda is the obvious standout. Altogether this definitely hasn't aged well since 1997. It has a very old feeling to it, but it really doesn't matter. And the direction is odd at times with the extreme close ups of the characters faces. The beginning of the film has a tough time getting started as do several scenes. As a viewer you're constantly thirsting for more, but in the end it's worth the ride.
October 24, 2012
A little gem of a movie about about those who take responsibility in life and those who don't with a brilliant and underplayed performance by Peter Fonda.
October 20, 2012
One of the best Peter Fonda has done.
½ August 21, 2012
Moves along with that made for cable feel.