Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie Reviews

September 11, 2016
I enjoyed it. But I'm a huge Warhammer 40k fan, so I'll admit to bias.
½ April 17, 2015
Okay, so, full disclosure? I'm a straight up nerd. I've been collecting Warhammer since Primary School, and I've still got a Chaos Marine army in the works right now. 40K is my favourite of the three main Games Workshop fields, so a Warhammer 40,000 film was not something I could let myself miss out on.

That said, it's been out for a whole two years, and I only watched it today. Although I've been very excited for it, I think I kept finding excuses not to, because I was just so, so certain that it was gonna blow.

And, I guess it did blow a little, but that's the great thing about having such low expectations, you're not disappointed, and when something's even remotely decent in some aspects, a big deal! Nearly 90% of the issues that Ultramarines had can be chocked down to the poor quality of its animation. I'll never understand how the CGI in Warcraft III was so fantastic all the way back in 2002, and yet 10 years later we're still spewing out a load of crap that pales in comparison.

Other than the animation though, Ultramarines was a decent enough watch. It was not hugely long, and I can imagine that anybody who is not familiar with the 40K universe would be having a lot of trouble understanding just what the Hell was going on. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Sure, pandering to pre-existing fans totally limits your marketing base, but if the die-hard fans doesn't like what you do on something as cult as a Games Workshop product, then you may as well have not bothered, 'cause you're nailing that coffin shut after your first shot. Again though, I cannot speak for someone who's never immersed themselves in the 40K mythos, so this review is accurate for those like me, who have.

Best of all, the voice actors were all damn fine, solid choices. Terence Stamp (Elektra, The Adjustment Bureau) as the Ultramarine Captain Severus was probably the best of the bunch; though John Hurt (Alien, Hellboy) as Imperial Fist Chaplain Carnak and a personal favourite of mine, Sean Pertwee (Dog Soldiers, Doomsday) as Ultramarine Sergeant Proteus were both brilliant to hear.

At the end of the day, Ultramarines changed no lives, challenged no conventions, and brought tears to exactly zero eyes. What it did do though, hypothetically and hopefully, is to pave the way for a slew of Warhammer films, maybe get some Night Lord mythology up and running, or see Sigmar make it to the screen. Ultramarines proves that, though there's room for improvement, there's room for improvement. It's not a dead end venture. And that was really the only way that it could truly have failed, so kudos.

March 24, 2015
For a company that has some incredible ideas and stories, Games Workshop's Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 movie falls so low on the scale that even fans of their work will cringe during the entirety of the film.

The acting was as good as it could get with the poorly constructed script, and the filming, angles, and visuals were beyond horrid for such an esteemed business of origin.

The animation, although released in 2011, were no better than video game graphics of the 90's; and the filming style resembles that of a brand new teenage machinima film maker (an individual who uses game engines to make short films). Essentially, an unnecessary amount of way-too-overused stereotypical action shots and slow-motion clips that completely take away from the effect of a heart-pounding battle scene.

The pace of the film is so spastic and unappealing that it makes the viewer wonder when the film will finally end.

I have much higher expectations from games workshop, they should know better than to release material such as this.
January 30, 2015
Ultramarines wasted the important opportunity of inspiring future movies to be made about Warhammer, It depicted Space Marines as buzz lightyear toys, jumping around like they weighed nothing. Where were the epic battles of armies numbering in their thousands? Why was a huge spaceship only populated by 10 soldiers? The dialogue, character development was terrible.
½ December 17, 2014
I love Warhammer 40K and i really liked the movie but the movie is based on the suspence so the movie was too long for just a little of action! But i loved it!
September 21, 2014
The movie was so bad I started looking for reviews about it.

It lost me 15 minutes into the movie and as of right now it's playing in the background. As a person who has only heard about Warhammer by a small group of peers who played Dungeons and Dragons about 18 years ago I know nothing about the books or the game. That being said I don't think that is important to write something about this particular movie.

One thing that baffles it's how people can't get the anatomy of the body right when portraying a person in a suit of armor wich in itself makes it unwatchable. No military tactics in this movie, if you are going to do a movie about people shootig at things at least make those shootings interesting instead of a steady shot of people firing at something off screen. Sword play in this movie is a bad joke.

There is no plot in this movie, not really. Group of "rookies" go to space accompanied by two old dudes that know war and they shoot at things that shoot at them that are the bad guys. Then there are some demons and demons are bad because they do bad things. The bad guys are super threatening, strong, intelligent and deceiving excepting those times in wich they don't.

One thing is to have a dark setting and then there's just dull. The movie it's gray and black and brown. There are no particular sights or things to look at just a series of dark small rooms and then open areas with walls made of smoke. It figures making an actual background would be to taxing.

The character design is lame in the sense that everybody pretty much looks the same facewise. There are no individuals in this movie and maybe it has something to do with the fact that they are ultramarines. But one thing is: "There is no I in a team" and then there's: "There is absolutly nothing that can tell me apart from another person attitude or character wise". At the very least there is no drama and no I'm looking at a family photo and then I die later marine.

And there is nothing more to write about this movie. It took me more time to write this than to play the damn thing. And this being the first text I write as a review the only one more thing I could write about this movie is: This would have been perfect in those days when I was 10 years old and had nothing to do in a sunday morning but watch T.V.
March 21, 2014
Now animation aside. (Yes it was bad) I would have easily put that aside had the plot been some what decent and with the film sticking somewhat to the fluff and ideas portraid in the books. It wasn't particularly dark and the marines go down so easily it's not even funny. Two stars for the fact the voice acting was amazing and the movie having been set in a 40K setting!
½ February 27, 2014
A good story and fantastic cast just let down by a low budget cgi movie.
February 21, 2014
2010? Seems older than that. The animation leave much to be desired. Strictly for die-hard fans. "It feels like one long extended cut scene from a videogame, probably a PC game dating from a decade or so back considering how clunky the animation is . . ."
February 3, 2014
About as much fun as watching your friend play a FPS circa 1999. On easy level.
January 20, 2014
The movie's plot is over-simplified and can be summed up as follows:
A squad of heavily armored Space Marines engage in a rescue mission and shoot stuff
The animators seemed to make up for the paper thin plot by adding over-the-top actions scenes which are cool, but unnecessary. Being a fan of 40k (Though I've been drifting away from GWs overpriced models for about a year now), I found it enjoyable and not a complete waste of time. However, to someone with no prior knowledge or fandom of the franchise, the movie is jarring, confusing and boring. If the animators had done a large battle (Macragge, Rynns World, any one of the Black Crusades), the movie would have been infinitely better, even to an outsider. Instead, we are left to ponder why 10 men are given complete control of a Strike Cruiser built for 100 (plus support).
August 1, 2013
Better than I expected. A cross between Star Wars Clone Wars and a Sergio Leone spaghetti western with medieval overtones.
July 17, 2013
A very good storyline and twist. Just needs a graphic improvement!
March 31, 2013
war hammer 40k fans should enjoy this
½ March 1, 2013
What a load of bullocks, even for an animated video release. First of all, remember to animate blinking, otherwise it just looks bad. It looks like subpar video game cut scenes mashed together with the loosest of plots. The style of these marines is kind of goofy. Why do they all have comically oversized shoulder pads & boots? Whose decision was it to go with that aesthetic choice? The writing is even worse. Imagine Telly Salvalas' crazy religious nutball from the Dirty Dozen as the main protagonist. & I thought the Starship Troopers one was bad enough. yeesh.
February 27, 2013
Nice designs but story too way simple, and rushed... many things without explanation, and the actings are bad. The graphics are average... they lack details and the action scenes are too much simple. Watch it only if you like the Games Workshop Warhammer games / products... but ultimately looks like a CG from a 2007 video-game. 4,5 / 10,0
½ February 24, 2013
I actually thought it was OK but could have used more war, and the animation whilst not great its very watchable, all round a pretty good effort for a movie with a small budget.
February 10, 2013
We need more of these wh40k movies
December 11, 2012
Very well scripted and played, although for a movie in 2010 the animation could have been better.