U.N. Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

U.N. Me Reviews

½ December 16, 2014
Since I have conducted research in Cote d'Ivoire and been a United Nations Volunteer (UNV) at UNOCI let me say something about this dishonest documentary, which touches many real issues but does so with an incredible superficiality and sometimes deliberate bad faith.
- Showing peacekeepers on the beach and saying that this demonstrates that they are doing nothing: it is the same thing like showing people who hang out in the Christmas market in Hamburg and deduce that Germans are lazy. Why should people not go to the beach in their freetime? Or should peacekeepers work 7 days a week 14 hours a day? Anyway, Horowitz could have gone to Chad, Central Africa or Darfur, or, to stay in Cote d'Ivoire, to the Western region, instead than Abidjan. He would not have seen peacekeepers on the beach there. But the guy who blame the peacekeepers probably wanted to shoot his documentary in a place where he could stay in a 4 star Hotel and not risk to be shot by armed militias.
- There have never been "French UN peacekeepers" in Cote d'Ivoire. There were French soldiers, who were there since 2 years before the UN mission was set up, within the framework of the France-Cote d'Ivoire defence agreement. Mission Licorne got a UN Security Council mandate, but was never under the UN command.
- By consequence, if Horowitz wanted to know more about the Hotel Ivoire shooting, he should have talked to the Licorne commander or the French ambassador, certainly not with interim chief of UNOCI Abou Moussa. He does not know about UN peacekeepers shooting people because those were not UN peacekeepers, simple.
- Moussa was liked by some and disliked by others, but for sure he was a very approachable person. I was a 27 years old PhD student at the time and I managed very easily to set an interview with him. We talked for one hour or so. Why had Horowitz so many problems to meet him? Maybe because he did not appear serious when he put forward his request?
- The film conflates easily sexual exploitation (sex with prostitutes over the age of consent) and abuse/rape. There was surely a problem with prostitution at UNOCI, but 1) cannot be conflated with rape, which I have never heard about 2) before blaming peacekeepers, maybe remind that we are in a country where prostitutes who go with local clients are paid 500 CFA (less than 1 euro) for sex?
- In terms of interviews with the local, Horowitz talks only with supporter of the Gbagbo regime (let's remind that the guy is now in jail at the Hague), of course he does not say anything about the belligerents and their agendas, so the public does not know that these people have political motives to be against the UN.
- A UNV is paid around 2000 USD per month. A National professional officer is probably paid around the same. A professional expatriate more, but they are not very many in the mission. Military observers are paid more than UNV and NPO (3500 USD) but troops are paid less. Cars can be used free of charge for personal purposes but are shared among the civilian personnel (3-4 people per car). All civilian staff pay their house (a studio apartment in Abidjan costs around 500 USD) and food. We are surely well off in comparison to the local population, but sadly for me I have not have amassed the fortunes described in the documentary, nor have my colleagues.
I could continue but I stop here.
About Horowitz: "Although the United Nations's treatment of Israel is only a tangential issue in Horowitz's movie, the subject is crucial to him. "My mother's Israeli, and I have a lot of family there. And I'm Jewish. So it's a natural connection. It's unbelievable to me that a country like Israel, which really embodies all the things we want in a country - egalitarianism, pluralism, freedom - is demonized."". Bunch of Zionist anti-UN propaganda.
May 15, 2013
This documentary is so US-centered it made me sick.
January 14, 2013
U.N. Me is an expose which will blow you away. Please see it before you contribute another penny to the UN or vote for any politician who backs it!
½ September 23, 2012
I found the humor odd but if that is what it takes to get people to wake up than good. I was surprised Yugoslavia didnt make the cut. I believe in A UN just not this UN
August 10, 2012
Informative and funny. A rare combination to be found in movies. Highly recommended. You will laugh and then feel disgusted the next.
July 30, 2012
A must see for all around the world. The U.N. representatives need to be held accountable for their actions & responsibilites just like any government official should. Very enlightening documentary...I have to say that I was furious after watching this so without the inserted humor my head may have exploded.
June 11, 2012
Not much to it. Horowitz is a Michael Moore wannabe without Moore's imagination, and his inability or unwillingness to analyze the UN's many failings seriously makes the flick demonstrably dishonest. That Horowitz is a rightwing Zionist hack adds nothing at all to the presentation. I saw it in New York last week - one of exactly 5 people in the theater. And while it could have been worse (while we are spared the paranoid Tea Party conspiracy theories of the UN, we are served instead a smug, starchy and, at this point thorougfhly discredited neo-conservative narrative, flavored with a heavy dose of Likud anti-Arabism). Happily it will sink into the obscurity it so richly deserves. Michael Moore would have done it better, funnier, and much more honestly.
June 9, 2012
Horowitz employed some of Michael Moore's writers as well as writers from The Onion, so I'm amused by the comments that try to make the U.N.'s problems partisan. L. Proyect's comment that Horowitz points out problems without offering solutions, well as Americans, we should all be made aware of this corrupt institution because, for the most part, we fund it.
June 6, 2012
Ami does excellent work . He ties in humor well .
½ June 5, 2012
This movie is not worth renting, buying or watching in a theater. Basic facts are purposefully left out in an attempt to prove a Jewish right-wing point. Mr. Horowitz and his movie fail.
June 4, 2012
Great Documentary, too bad so many people are in the dark and just not open their eyes and minds. The road to good intentions blind too many!
June 3, 2012
Right, U.N. is very annoying because its founding ideas oppose existence of CIA illegal prisons all over the world.

This movie is another propaganda garbage.
½ June 3, 2012
I saw it today. Very one-sided film with a very definite agenda. In the US interviewed only republicans. Not one word about all the good done by many UN agencies, UNICEF, FAO, WHO, or UN political success stories - Cambodia, Nepal, East Timor, Namibia come to mind.
Incredible. Must watch.
June 2, 2012
It's just awesome as a taxpayer seeing good people in our nation standing up to government funded (taxpayer money) programs that are completely useless such as the U.N.. The U.N. is doing nothing good for our country, the U.S.A. which supplies the majority for it's (the U.N.'s) support. There needs to be much, much more of these types of documentaries to bring the truth out. The U.S. would most likely have an overwhelming supply of abundance if our wayward government officials weren't spending so much wealth on despicably run government programs such as the U.N. If there is still a decent person left in our government officials they should putting loads, and loads of pressure on the U.N. to start doing something other than wasting our tax dollars and causing terrorism around the world.
June 2, 2012
Excellent movie. I think it was well done. While Horowitz clearly has an agenda, the sources are good and the questions he asks are totally fair. Nobody can really deny the UN HRC is dominated by the worst abusers of human rights. Likewise, everybody knows the the UN failed to stop the genocide in Rwanda and now failing to do anything about Darfur. Beyond that, the documentary provides background, details on abuses, and a good explanation of why the UN fails to live up to the founding ideals.
June 2, 2012
Gets right to the truth of the UN's inherent conflict of interest that gives equal voice and votes to the most corrupt and murderous regimes in the world such as Iran, Sudan and Syria. Ami uses humor and sarcasm which, for some reason (could it be offending the left sensibilities?) bothers many "official" reviewers, even as they laud the same performance by Michael Moore. As usual, real human beings rate this movie's approval at over 90%!
May 24, 2012
I have seen this powerful and important movie. It is critical to see this as it challenges our uniformed perceptions that the UN is a force for good. Given how much money the US gives the UN we need to understand were it goes.