The Unborn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Unborn Reviews

January 31, 2013
Something is wrong with Virginia's baby... After years of trying, Virginia and her husband resort to an experimental form of in-vitro fertilization, but when the other women from the clinic begin dying under mysterious circumstances, the truth behind Dr. Meyerling's secret procedures can finally be found in THE UNBORN! Brooke Adams stars as our delusional mother-to-be, whose frightening descent in to madness is slightly reminiscent of Catherine Deneuve's performance in REPULSION, though far less effective. The plot clearly combines the body horror themes present in both SCANNERS and (much more apparently) IT'S ALIVE, this time attacking the latent fears behind in-vitro fertilization rather than morning sickness medication or contraceptives. As a Roger Corman production, one can expect an overall cheapness in design, both for the killer fetus and the locales, but first-time director Rodman Flender does what he can to instill a dark, oppressive mood over the picture. THE UNBORN is certainly no masterwork of cinema, but it plays nicely with GRACE, BABY BLOOD, and other like-minded thrillers.
July 14, 2012
The children...they're coming for us...the want to kill us!
June 7, 2012
Brooke Adams = awesome..
..but this movie, not so much. Very '70s ending though..
Basically a science-based Rosemary's Baby.
April 1, 2012
A film that will make you want to crawl back into the womb... Yeah, it's that bad.

Well, it's that time again, time to review another movie that I only sat through for nostalgia... This was made in 1991, I saw it probably in 1994 or '95 with some of my friends on what was the best Halloween of our lives... Or at least one of the best... We'd spent the night getting candy, and than stayed up all night eating candy while polluting our minds with crappy horror movies. So once again I find myself subjecting my poor brain to crap because it reminds me of yet a simpler time.

The Story: A childless couple try in-vitro fertilization only to find that the child they're going to have is will be a super intelligent, monster baby, with a violent temper... It's not a good story... It's not presented well... It's not intriguing, and will entertain you only if you like early '90s shock flicks with buckets of blood and bad special effects...

The Cast: A giant who cares goes out to these people... Every actor sucked... Seriously, there's no redeeming value to this cast, they're better suited for work in the fast food industry. At least that way you'd get something of some kind of value from them.

One to Five Scale: 1

Much like Necronomicon: Book of the Dead, I had no expectations for this... And it still managed to be lower than I'd expected. Luckily you will find this one easy to avoid seeing as it's old and no one liked it in the first place... Hell, the only reason I saw it again so recently is because someone somewhere thought it would be a bright idea to air it on Showtime.

Tyler
July 16, 2011
This was a decent horror movie that tried to be a mix of Rosemary's Baby and It's Alive!.
A woman who can't get pregnant goes to a specialist and they artificially inseminate her with success.
She starts to hear rumors that her doctor experiments with his inseminations and tries to abort the kid to find out it's still alive.
A decent cast with Brooke Adams, James Karen, Kathy Griffin and brief appearance from Lisa Kudrow.
A decent movie that has some decent gore but fails to be as good as it could have been.
Of course it is a Roger Corman production.
½ April 28, 2011
cheap, tasteless, glorious trash
November 20, 2010
I think that I can safely pass on watching this one.
July 4, 2010
Just bad beyond doubt. Includes Lisa Kudrow.
½ May 18, 2010
Don't worry this has nothing to do with the rubbish that got released with the same name in 2009. This is produced by Roger Corman, so if that bit of info has piqued your interest then you should be in for a good time.

The movie opens with a pregnant woman suffering from convulsions and although not much is shown to the audience except for some blood soaking through her clothes it does seem that something has gone wrong in an Alien kind of way.

The movie then starts proper with couple Brad and Virginia who have been trying unsuccesfully for five years to conceive a child, and so, on a recomendation from a friend, they go to visit a Dr Meyerling for IVF treatment. Things seem to be going well and Virginia is pregnant after the first treatment.

Friends of the couple have a child that was a result of Dr Meyerlings treatment and their child appears to be very intelligent but may harbour a darker side.

Strange things start happening to the women that underwent the treatment causing a rash to appear on their necks and signs of madness appearing. One of the women even goes so far as to grab a knife and stab herself in the belly.

Virginia's descent into madness is done quite well as she starts destroying the house while looking for a toy for her now deceased cat.

The film does take a turn for the ridiculous when you end up with someone getting attacked by an evil abortion but I was really enjoying this and it delivered everything I could want from a Corman production.
So if you don't mind watching someone getting stabbed by an aborted baby then you should get a kick out of this.
April 25, 2010
Not a bad mad scientist movie. Cheesy and fun baby monsters.
November 12, 2009
Watching this movie makes a woman think twice about wanting to have anymore children.
November 7, 2009
Good for people that like twisted movies!
September 4, 2009
I believe ive seen this movie years ago. It was pretty messed up.
½ August 29, 2009
I need to watch the rest of this movie, what I had watched was freaky, I love it!
July 11, 2009
these movies r the bomb
July 8, 2009
man this movie the fuckin shit i was so scared i couldnt even sleep if yall watch this and u think u brave then u should talk to me
May 24, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
May 24, 2009
No bad, can try if u like mistery..
½ March 23, 2009
bebes recien nacidos atacando gente humana, ke mas podrias kerer???
January 20, 2009
Weird-ass killer baby b-movie. Lisa Kudrow appears (very briefly) as the secretary of an evil geneticist.