Uncle Sam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Uncle Sam Reviews

June 26, 2011
From the creators of Maniac Cop comes an entertaining look at patriotism and the war in Iraq. It's basically an ode to the slasher overload of the 1980s, with a zombie killer dressed like Uncle Sam offing people he feels are "unpatriotic". Draft dodgers, crooked politicians, flag burners, grave vandals, and more had better watch out, because this is one psycho that's giving "red-blooded" a whole new meaning! If you thought that was corny, just wait till you watch this movie! There were a few tense scenes, but other than that, it's a slice of really fun hacking and slashing. Unlike Matt Cordell from Maniac Cop, Sam Harper is a really despicable, abusive guy who enjoys killing for the sake of killing. Isaac Hayes and P.J. Soles make appearances (although Soles doesn't have a lot of screen time), and the rest of the performances are strong. It does bear lots of similarities to Maniac Cop, with a supposedly dead hero returning from the grave to kill people. Both the killers are deformed, both go after their wives, and both wear some kind of outfit that wouldn't draw much attention. There's enough gore to please me, with a decapitation and a hatchet to the face being the best (gore wise). The ending was pretty confusing, and (MILD SPOILERS) I guess we're supposed to assume that Jody's going to become the next Uncle Sam, even though he's burning all his toy military stuff. (SPOILERS OVER) Blue Underground released this on Blu-Ray and on DVD, and I must say Uncle Sam looks better than it ever has on the DVD (I don't own the Blu-Ray) with the standard aspect ratio of 2.35:1. Plus, it has two audio commentaries, a photo and still gallery, trailer, and more. It's highly worth worth buying, but I'd suggest renting it first; it might not be your type of film.
April 19, 2011
sounds perfectly brainless and fun
February 10, 2011
A late 90's slasher flick with a us soldier rising from the grave to kill anyone who belittles america.Now thats not actually a bad premise for a slasher flick well ok its pretty rubbish but there's potential for some fun. Which in small doses there is some here its just it takes way to long to get there. the guy doesn't return for 40mins!! So your just sat around watching some small kid grieving for his uncle and moan about wanting to join the army when he's older.
Some of the klls are pretty good but u dont get to see any of the real decent carnage.Shame could have been a good laugh but the makers didnt have the talent to pull it off.
January 25, 2011
A very very weird horror movie about an Uncle Sam doll who goes on a killing spree. It didn't really creep me out as much as it made me laugh about the awkwardness of the scenes.
½ November 24, 2010
"Uncle Sam wants you... DEAD!"

October 24, 2010
All I can say was it was great and it's a one of a kind!
August 27, 2010
To protect and sever, how tasteless
½ July 16, 2010
Uncle Sam is one of those comically amusing niche horror projects that I absolutely love watching. While arguably the greatest decade ever for the horror genre, the 80's, has long been extinct and replaced with easily the worst decade ever for the horror genre, the 90's (thought 2000's may have taken over), the spirit of 80's horror hasn't died with certain people, especially director William Lustig (known for such gems as the Maniac Cop franchise or the iconic Maniac) and writer Larry Cohen (Gold Tole Me To, It's Alive franchise, etc) who have brought us the hilariously awesome Uncle Sam. The film features dead soldier Sam (David Fralick), a despicable lunatic who was shot by friendly fire, however that doesn't stop his him carrying on a murderous spree, especially when his body is brought back to town and his casket open by his impressionable, worshiping nephew. Once freed, Sam dones the disguie of good old Uncle Sam and begins murdering ANYONE remotely un-American including draft-dodgers, desecrating teens, Democrats, etc. If you're a REAL fan of horror, then there's no way you wouldn't enjoy this laughably cheesy but fun slasher film. To further add to it's awesomeness is a wide array of genre stars that pop up all throughout like Bo Hopkins, Issac Hayes, P.J. Soles, Robert Forster, and the awesome William Smith (who also wrote and read the end credits poem). This film would have probably been better suited coming out within the past 5 or 6 years at the height of America's most patriotic AND un-patriotic, however, I'm happy with the film nonetheless. A fun and silly popcorn entertainment horror flick. Also looks surprisingly good on Blu-ray.
½ July 4, 2010
This was far more than just a hiighly amusing horror/comedy/slasher film. Some excellent performances here (Isaac Hayes being one of them). Also some very intelligent discourse on the nature of good and evil in war. Great film.
½ January 6, 2010
Typically one would not expect a horror movie to be focused on an American War, unless it was a retelling of a historical account. However, this movie does just that, and is even perhaps borderline offensive to veterans. But, the way the cast draws you into the plot is unforgettable, making this a must see horror movie. It is certainly not like the other gore and slasher films.

The downside of this movie is that it failed in the department of "creepy music for effect". It started some elements of eerie music, but did not use it to its full potential.
August 16, 2009
What have I lowered myself to, first off I'm a Canadian and I'm reviewing a movie about the 4th of July and a killer soldier who has returned from the grave. And secondly, it stars Isaac Hayes, that's right, Chef, as a veteran with a wooden leg. This kid has lost his uncle in the Gulf War and always looked up to him as a hero, too bad his uncle is pissed about how the country seems to be showing respect to his sacrifice. So now we get a bunch of bad acting and a bunch of bad killings, all from our friendly old Uncle Sam costume wearing psycho. It's somehow ironic that a man who wants people to sign up and fight/die for a cause that they may or may not believe in is killing them off before they even have a chance to get killed in action. This is honestly just a cheesy movie that you should only view on the grounds that you don't take it seriously. Isaac Hayes is really the only good actor is this movie and that's all I can really say. Enjoy!
May 22, 2009
This movie is really good. I seen it when i was younger becuase my dad liked the movie and i got into it and i think that if you dont like it then dont talk about it.
½ January 7, 2009
Je sais à présent pourquoi ce film ne m'a coûté que 0.50 cents.
½ January 4, 2009
This had me laughing throughout for how corny it is. Isaac Hayes is always fun to see.
½ December 22, 2008
wasn't terrible, but certainly wasn't the best..i enjoyed the storyline, but some of the scenes were laughable!
October 28, 2008
another totally retarded horror movie with a holographic cover from the people that brought you jack frost
July 21, 2008
July 5, 2008
There were three different acts to this movie. The first first was incredibly boring. The second was hilarious and very fun! And the third was too ridiculous to even be entertaining. There were some good deaths, and even some creepy moments, but overall it was nothing special or even good.
June 26, 2008
Thought this was a timely film to see with the current war situation this country is in. However, I was not impressed with this film at all. It attempted to be one of those "its so bad its good films", but ended up just being bad in the process. Uncreative kills, lack of a compelling plot, and characters that I just didn't care about killed this film for me.