Uncommon Women... and Others - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Uncommon Women... and Others Reviews

June 24, 2015
This taped version of a play by Wendy Wasserstein really resonated with me. A lot of it has to do with the fact that it is about women reminiscing about college seven years after they graduated and I graduated from college seven years ago myself. Even though it is from the '70's and some things make it dated, I think it gets to the heart of what women expect from themselves and what society expects from them and how they sometimes clash. It was also fun to see a young Meryl Streep and Swoosie Kurtz.
½ October 13, 2009
Meryl Streep is in this production, but she is NOT the star. She is, of course, very good, but her role is much smaller than about 5 others. Also, this was made in 1978 and is a reflection of what became of women attending college at that time. It's very feminist and definitely not for everyone, but I'd recommend it to 20 somethings whose mothers are about that age and men who married women of those years. It explains a lot!!!!
½ December 28, 2008
Fascinating play (and is it most unquestionably a play) which I imagine is required viewing for anyone in Women's Studies. Brilliant view of feminism from the eyes of women in a Seven Sisters college in the early '70s.

Heavily intellectual with some moments of comedic gold. However, having read the play, was surprised at how leaden it seemed at times. Bonus: getting to see Streep (in a supporting role), Kurtz, Eickenberry and Ellen Parker (Guiding Light's Maureen Bauer) early in their careers.
August 4, 2008
Wonderful! Released in the late 70s, Streep is a minor character but a major presence. Great look into the transition period women went through during the height of the Feminist movement. Watch it!
December 11, 2006
i would like to see this