Under Siege 2: Dark Territory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under Siege 2: Dark Territory Reviews

December 2, 2013
Steven Seagal still can't act but he's gives us a movie that is enjoyable.
October 10, 2013
Not as good as the first however, it's still a bit of fun. Classed as a TV movie it has unfortunately lacked the intimate dialogue of a reasonable script. Because of this bad script there is little that the actors can do to gain a upper hand and so this film disappears into the realm of gun shots and explosions. Overall a child's film of the style of the A Team. Nibbles: French toast.
September 1, 2013
Under Siege 2: Dark Territory clarified quickly that it lacks the cleverness of the original.
For one thing, its characters are poor. Steven Seagal is forced to work with a lacklustre script which attempts to characterise Lt. Casey Ryback as a family man with issues as an uncle, and it deals with this by giving him forced internal drama that Steven Seagal isn't fit to deal with in an action film so he ends up leading his character into the dark territory of the film's title where the he seems to be portraying a character coming to terms with real life drama. But Under Siege 2: Dark Territory is not a real life film so why director Geoff Murphy fried to give it the slightest touch of one is beyond me and merely abysmal to the film's quality. And his performance is empty and routine, as if to suggest that Casey Ryback is overly confident about facing the terrorists, so much so that he just has to look at a gun, clarify to himself that yes it is in fact a gun, then softly point and pull the trigger. There is no grit to his performance, and no sign of the mannerisms that made him such a recognisable action star in the first place.
Matched up against him is the performance of Eric Bogosian as primary villain Travis Dane in a performance so monotonous and uninspired that it can't compare to his one-time appearance on the show Scrubs playing Dr. Cox's psychologist. Yet both performances are surprisingly similar, revealing him as a limited actor with the latter being superior. He's less of a villain in Under Siege 2: Dark Territory, and more of a joke.
Morris Chestnut portrays a racial stereotype with little of comic relief intended for him ever becoming successful, since its mostly just excessive stereotypical language which becomes old faster than precedented and just a tedious addition to a failing cast.
The only cast member that really succeeds at all is Katherine Heigl in one of her significantly younger performances as she works through a flimsy script and weak character, providing good emotional articulation. She does a half decent job.
Also, Under Siege 2: Dark Territory is largely bereft of the thrills of its predecessor because it clarifies the villain instantly when he's on screen, without allowing the sense of mystery to exist so that he could become uncovered later on. Without mystery or a story to wonder about, Under Siege 2: Dark Territory is set up to fail.
And it does, because for one thing amongst average action sequences which despite featuring decent editing and interesting locations for the action to be set on is obvious signs of the green screen leaking into the shot with obvious visual effects, including explosions which go into slow motion while characters in the foreground move at their proper pace, removing whatever realism could come from a story about an orbiting satellite dish controlled via a train that has the power to cause earthquakes with lasers.
Under Siege 2: Dark Territory doesn't have a good start and deteriorates by the second, and it just feels forced without a good atmosphere or anyone to convince the viewer that an action film is occurring beyond their eyes.
August 28, 2013
Former navy seal now cook Casey ryback is back. Taking a train and going on vacation with his niece when terrorist take over and use it as headquarters and take over a nuclear satellite that can wipe out anything and kill millions of people. Just like the first this movie is amazing. The effects, action, and acting are top notch. This is about as exciting and entertaining as you can get in a movie. Steven seagull gives us more great martial Arts action and they are very creative with the kills. Everett McGill who is in several movies where he is a villain is great and he is in top form here. The special effects with the train colliding at the end was really amazing. Not many sequels stand up to the original but this one in my opinion does. Kudos to everyone involved in making this because I really enjoyed it.
August 8, 2013
Eh, watchable but not more than a few times.
August 6, 2013
3 years after the success of Under Siege, a sequel was inevitable, with Steven Seagal back on board, he got Geoff Murphy (Young Guns II (1990) and Freejack (1992)) to direct the sequel. Even though it is essentially more of the same as last time, but it does have some good action sequences throughout, and it shares the claustrophobic setting as last time, only it's gone from on the sea to off the rails. Casey Ryback (Seagal) has retired from the Navy, and now works as a chef in Denver, but he soon finds himself roped in to take his niece Sarah (Katherine Heigl) to her father's grave in Los Angeles, they decide to take the train across the Rocky Mountains. Seems like a good idea, but what they don't know is that the train is carrying a government computer program called Grazer One. The train is hijacked by terrorists led by scientist Travis Dane (Eric Bogosian), who had invented Grazer One until he was fired, so has decided to get revenge, by using the computer programme to hold the world to ransom, but he didn't know about Ryback, who is a one man army, ready to take down Dane and his men. It is a very silly action film, but there is a lot of excitement along the way, it's not perfect, but that doesn't matter, it's what you got from action films made in the 1990's, with violent action, and over the top baddies. It's just good cheesy fun.
July 29, 2013
Seagal succeeds once again in delivering more kicks and punches, but we get less thrill from Bogosian in this fainty sequel.
½ July 28, 2013
Now the original was perhaps the mainstream peak of Seagal's career and for me and little dudes just like me it was considered a work of art...more or less because Erika Eleniak pops out of a cake topless about 18 minutes in. But at least it had Tommy Lee Jones in career boosting form. This is an absolute poor mans version and the action sequences which close out the final moments are horrendously awful.
March 13, 2013
A fun sequel to the best Steven Seagal movie. Even if its mindless action at this point
February 20, 2013
Not as good as the original but in my top Seagal films
½ February 20, 2013

When I was an early teen, my idol and role model was Steven Seagal. The fascination I had for this action/martial arts star came about when I went to see one of his movies at the age of 14. The movie was "Under Siege 2". My dad took me to our local cinemas to see it and it was the first real action film I saw at the cinemas. I walked out of that film absolutely blown away by it, especially the final scene.
Towards the end of the film, our hero learns that the train he is riding is on a collision course with another train carrying millions of gallons of gasoline. He knows this because the terrorists that have taken over his train (which he once again manages to avoid capture by) have set their locomotive on this path to destroy the train they hijacked, so they can cover their tracks and escape. Casey Ryback, the character played by Seagal, manages to disengage the carriages holding all the passengers, who were being held as hostages. He also gets his niece safely out of the train through the access hatch in the roof. She hangs onto the bottom of a ladder suspended from a helicopter, safely hovering above the scene and watches in horror as the two trains collide.

As the two locomotives smash head-on into each other, Ryback is thrown like a rag doll and tumbles down to the end of the carriage. He manages to get up and has one second to catch a glance of the diesel train of death tearing its way through the passenger train with no sign of stopping. He runs. Calm and cool as he always was in the face of danger, Ryback skilfully and tactfully runs towards the end of this train. Each carriage behind him is smashed to smithereens and plummets to the base of the canyon below. He knows he can't go back. The helicopter is waiting for him with its trusty ladder at the end of the very last carriage. Ryback runs forward with steadfast focus and determination. He is not going to let this be the end of him. He has come too far and fought too long to lose here and now. He killed the bad guys, stopped Washington from being blown up and rescued the hostages. All that was left for him to do now was to make it to that helicopter and spend the rest of his days with his niece, living in peace. Without about a second left to spare, Ryback makes it to the last carriage just as it was about to tip down into the dark hole beneath the bridge it was heading across. He leaps with a grunt to exert himself forward and grabs the bottom of the ladder with both his hands. He climbs up it with ease and makes it to the helicopter to see the remainder of both trains meet their demise in a gigantic ball of flames. And after all that, he still remains as cool and as calm as he had been since the entire ordeal began.

This final scene in the film is the one I remember the most after seeing it the first time about 15 years ago. Afterward, my dad and I walked through the shopping centre and I reeled in excitement as I recapped the whole movie to him as if he hadn't even seen it. We passed by a game arcade and I asked my dad if I could go in and play a "Shoot 'Em Up" game. He granted my wish and I got my play time. That night at home, I lay in bed wide awake, full of buzz and excitement as I discovered my first true idol. My love for action films of the blockbuster sort had begun. I would go on to see many more after that, but to this day none have had as much as an impact and influence on me as "Under Siege 2"
February 16, 2013
This was about as good as a sequel to 'Under Siege' could have been.
February 11, 2013
Seagal hade min uppmärkamhet under ett par års tid under tidiga 90-talet, (när jag var ung och inte visste bättre, haha). Han är egentligen en rätt rutten b-skådis, i stil med de andra machomännen Jean Claude Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren och Chuck Norris. Men en sak får man ge denna film, och det är att den har rätt mycket martial arts och schysst action, samt att den överträffar originalet trots att det hade Tommy Lee Jones som bad guy tillsammans med underhållande c-skådisikonen Gary Busey som henchman. Dessutom - for what it's worth, så är detta nog den bästa tåg-actionfilmen någonsin. Ett överpompöst score, den sanslösa id (C)n med en halvindian på nära två meter som spelar navy seal-agenten med det roande namnet Casey Ryback, som dessutom är kock och lagar bomber. Detta är verkligen guilty pleasure. Det är nog det närmsta man kommer Die Hard utan att slänga in Bruce Willis. Steven Seagal - mannen, myten, legenden. Mannen med den ständiga fåniga hästsvansen, hesa viskande rösten och den kalla blicken - han som ingen nåd ger utan garanterar dig en smärtsam död.
January 27, 2013
This sequel to the box office success Under Siege sadly doesn't live up to the standards of the first film, but entertaining none the less. Steven Seagal appears in his first sequel not that the two films share any connection other than the characters name Casey Ryback. The films scale is smaller and the supporting cast is weaker, but the action is constant and the aikido sequences make up for the lack of in the first film. There's so many bad things about this film, but I enjoy it everytime I watch it and is a guilt pleasure confession. This was the last Steven Seagal film I enjoyed and everything else since hasn't interested me. Despite all of his faults, Steven Seagal is an action hero and his films are good fun and great martial arts pieces. Everything since Under Siege 2 is appalling and doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'd much rather watch his first half a dozen films time and time over.
½ January 22, 2013
A Seagal classic. Much better than the first. Low budget, but has a lot of class.
December 15, 2012
One of the introductions of Katherine Heigle! Love this movie!
December 15, 2012
Sequel to Under Siege with Steven Seagal reprising his role as Casey Ryback moves the plot from a battleship to a train. With this second feature in the franchise, director Geoff Murphy wastes no time to jump right into the action. This film is pretty good for a Seagal vehicle and it should definitely appeal to action buffs. Like the first film, the strength of the film lies in a great villain. Acted by Eric Bogosian who plays a computer genius that highjack's a train and seeks to use a weapon's satellite for his own sinister means. His on-screen presence is wonderful and he provides Seagal with a great challenge in terms of a foe. If you're looking for a fun popcorn flick, then this is a must see film to watch. I enjoyed the sheer mindless fun of it all, and though not perfect, Under Siege 2 should appeal to fans of the first. There's nothing original here, but this is entertainment and it most definitely will thrill and suffice your action needs. While the first had Playboy Playmate Erika Elreniak as Seagal's sidekick, this one strips away the pitiful eye candy, and adds a bit more seriousness to the film's plot despite at times being a bit tongue in cheek. This is one of those rare sequels that is just as good as the original, and I find this one to be a bit underrated and it overcomes it flaws by being a fun, thrilling ride. This film isn't as bad as what everyone says, so if you're in the mood for mindless popcorn action, give this one a shot. At times cheesy, but with added menace, this is a very good sequel to the original Under Siege.
½ November 12, 2012
Steven Seagal's follow-up to his most successful--commercially and, ahem, artistically--film has all the elements in place: explosions, fights, stunts galore. This is the inevitable cash-in sequel to a decent original, this is not half as good, but still a million times better than anything else Seagal has done. Good set-up, well-shot, but Seagal never allows any villain to be much of a challenge for his character, which saps the tension. Eric Bogosian, given the herculean task of following the original's fabulous Tommy Lee Jones, is a big zero as the villain, a terrorist who takes over a train that Seagal and his niece (Katherine Heigl, one of the film's saving graces) just happen to be aboard. Director Geoff Murphy does a decent enough job with the action sequences, and Seagal is, well, Seagal, but I didn't find it all too exciting. Run-of-the-mill Seagal. Could be better, could be worse...

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
November 1, 2012