Under the Cherry Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under the Cherry Moon Reviews

½ November 30, 2012
A ten dollar hooker masquerading as a high price escort but it could be worse. It's utterly self indulgent and the players look like they equated screen time with acting prowess. It's not a complete failure,there is Prince's soundtrack to offset the bland cheesiness, and some of the dialogue between the characters is charming but stick to Purple Rain if you want a real exposition on Princes marginal acting talent trumped by his explosive stage presence.
½ November 19, 2012
Down right PERFECT!!!
October 28, 2012
Under the Cherry Moon is a great looking film with style to spare and wonderful camera work that showcases the South of France, but overall, it's a 30's melodramatic storyline updated to 80's standards and the result is varied. Prince plays a gigolo who uses weathly women that he picks up at the Cherry Moon club until he meets his match with a spolied heiress Mary(Kristin Scott-Thomas in her film debut.) the chemistry between the two seem forced but the real chemistry lies with Prince and his cousin Tricky(Jerome Benton) they are a joy to watch together the only time this film comes to life. The costumes and soundtrack is first class, sadly a better storyline would have helped but I liked this movie over the really dreadful Grafitti Bridge with Prince.
October 13, 2012
October 12, 2012
Prince and Jerome are just awesome...this movie kix some ass:-)
October 3, 2012
I know it is bad but I friggin LOVE this movie. I have no excuses for myself. I just do.
October 1, 2012
really enjoyed the music...
½ September 27, 2012
funny.. most folk just don't get Prince's humor... his music itself, has a LOT of humor in it!
½ July 16, 2012
Another of Prince's music video-like films. I totally loved the soundtrack but the rest of the picture was a mess. Under different direction it COULD have been better. Formulaic.
June 22, 2012
Loved it and i just love Prince
June 16, 2012
Should have stopped at Purple Rain.
April 16, 2012
Michael Ballhaus?? Kristen Scott Thomas's first role? Album was great.. but I knew there was a reason I waited 18 years to see the movie. I will not give it a bad review because I like Prince. MSG was one of the best concerts I've ever been to..
April 14, 2012
The 2nd best prince movie
April 5, 2012
In Prince's sophomore effort, he plays a gigolo on the French Riviera who falls for Kristen Scott Thomas(in her debut)and trades wits with his pal Jerome Benton(of The Time, but without the mirror).Although I loved the music, the movie is so so. directed by Prince himself.
March 2, 2012
Another not-so-hot attempt by Prince...but the Soundtrack is hot. The Soundtrack alone gets it an extra star.
February 21, 2012
DISCLAIMER: I have been a Prince fan since I was five, and my rating reflects this.

Under the Cherry Moon is a silly, lighthearted love story that showcases Prince's overlooked sense of humor.

As an objective film viewer, it's no more than a three-star film at best, but as a near lifelong Prince fan, it's my favorite of his films.
½ January 6, 2012
Love the album it spawned ("Parade"), but oh man, was this movie awful.
½ September 30, 2011
Terrible follow up to "Purple Rain"
½ June 18, 2011
Perversely strange. It's an odd mix of astounding cinematography, bad slapstick, trite melodrama, and excessive stylization. For example, there is 360 degree camera track stolen from Godard's Weekend as Prince plays piano. Whether it is "good" or "bad," I have no idea but it's certainly unique.