Under the Hawthorn Tree (Shan zha shu zhi lian) Reviews

• Jun 14, 2017

This is the sort of Zhang Yimou film I find more enjoyable. It's a heartfelt, intimate portrait of three dimensional characters. Very humane. Pitiful that it is not available in the USA.

• Jan 23, 2015

Another winner from Zhang Yimou, with beautiful new actress - Zhou Dongyu

Another winner from Zhang Yimou, with beautiful new actress - Zhou Dongyu

• Apr 12, 2014

A stunning Chinese film that centers on a tender & beautiful romance of a teenage girl & a young adult in a country Chinese village. Filmed to perfection on location & honestly some of the most natural & believable performances in many years. It doesn't take long to invest in these characters at all. But sadly the story veers towards a tragedy but it has the most touching & impacting endings of a film I have seen in years. This is one of the most genuine & heartfelt romances I have seen in years.

• Jun 08, 2013

Zhang Yimou's "Under the Hawthorne Tree" is a simple tale about love in its purest form. No complicated twists, no daredevil stunts, no special effects; just a heart-warming story about the innocent love between two young individuals during China's Cultural Revolution. If you liked "Not One Less" and "The Road Home", then this is a sure-fire hit for you! ;)

• Jan 06, 2013

No puedo con los dramas chinos. Vaya tela...

No puedo con los dramas chinos. Vaya tela...

• Dec 21, 2012

The Love of the Hawthorn Tree (山楂树之恋) Chinese film by the Chinese director Zhang Yimou (Raise The Red Lantern). Adapted from Hawthorn Tree Forever by Ai Mi, which was itself based on a true story that took place during the Cultural Revolution. Set in 60s-70s 'Cultural Revolution' in China, plot takes place in a tiny village in China. A story about true-love between a school student Jin and a young boy named San. Jin arrives with a group in Xiping village, where the group receives learning about a hawthorn tree called the Tree of Heroes which was nourished by the blood of Chinese martyrs executed by the Japanese during World War II. Jin lives with a family in a village, and stumbles upon a geology student Sun. Jin is impressed with his honesty, meekness and respectful behavior toward her. The two young people suffer traditional barriers, and political-turmoils - yet they go around to experience joy of love and life. The movie was recommended to me by my elder brother. I couldn't wait to see this. When I started playing the film. It drew me closer to its warm story, and tender romance between two sweet characters divided by traditions and political environment. This is enticing film, and inspiring (in terms of hardships felt by youths of todays).

• Nov 04, 2012

lovely story, maybe the end was not something I loved, but.. still is a good ending!

• Aug 07, 2012

Has a lot of wonderful extended moments. A must see love story with two endearing lead characters. Very slow to begin with.....but detailed and rich in character growth. Incredibly well acted and a very sad ending. And as with most good films.....very difficult to buy at a reasonable price. Another under-watched, unavailable gem waiting to be discovered by western audiences.

• May 13, 2012

Innocent & refreshing. Only similar stories have been watching hundreds time, including way much touching & better made ones already.

• Apr 15, 2012

eenvoudig verhaal, Romeo & Julia :p maar o zo prachtig!

eenvoudig verhaal, Romeo & Julia :p maar o zo prachtig!