Under the Sun of Satan (Sous le soleil de Satan) (Under Satan's Sun) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under the Sun of Satan (Sous le soleil de Satan) (Under Satan's Sun) Reviews

½ October 4, 2014
Slow,slow,slow,slow and so boring.
August 22, 2014
A challenging, cerebral and disturbing film which will either enthrall you or leave you totally cold. Pialat has created a quietly complex meditation on faith and good vs. evil. Without any grand effects or violence, the film manages to be both jarring and oddly calm. For me, this is a powerful film that builds in power with a couple of repeated viewings. There is much more going on here than what one sees on the surface. A masterful and provocative cinematic work.
½ June 26, 2014
Mysticism, religious quests, religious uncertainty, saint-like resuscitation. No, Sous Le Soleil de Satan is definitely not my type of film. Although Gérard Depardieu gave a very good performance.
½ August 1, 2013
Donissan, the thin line behind folly and sainthood.
February 11, 2013
Gerard Depardieu has a powerful presence - a true spiritual presence. "God wears us down"
February 4, 2013
I can't quote this movie, because i may have seen it in a wrong manner, but my experience of it, is just ...the hell ! Except Gerard Depardieu, i'm not sure i quite understood the way the actors are playing, and this bored me like never before. I could'nt even "ear" the text. But, maybe i wll try again one of these days...just because Pialat is such a brilliant director.
½ April 22, 2012
Brilliant. demands a lot of patience but it's well worth it. A priest is wracked with spiritual torment over his morality and duties to his flock.
½ January 10, 2012
That Satan is a clever duck. Testing a priest who is down on his faith by putting the moves on him on a darkened road in the countryside? Clever stuff. You know it's Satan because what man in his right mind would want to kiss Gerard Depardieu? Seriously, he looks like a 90's Image superhero, all weirdly deformed.
April 23, 2011
Stark, serious and directed with intellegence, Pialat's film embraces its heavy theological conversations and themes head on, never balking for a moment of flair. Its matter-of-fact direction grounds the film in reality and in doing so, adds to the immediacy of its issues. Even a visit by the devil seems normal place. Centering it all is Depardieu's performance as a passionate exorcist who's life and faith are crumbling from his constant exposure to evil, and the absolute abscence of God.
½ April 7, 2010
"Bajo el Sol de Satan" es un film minimalista, (mas cercano a la television que al cine), con un ritmo dificil (casi inaguantable) y definitivamente no para todos los gustos (solo para aquellas personas afines a los mundillos del cine-club tipo decada de los 70 y 80). Basada en el libro de George Bernanos (quien tambien escribio "Diario de Un Cura de Comarca", que Bresson llevo al cine), "Bajo el Sol de Satan" aborda los problemas, conflictos morales y crisis de fe de un sacerdote (Gerard Depardieu) en una zona rural. Para algunos, "Bajo el Sol de Satan" es una magnifica obra maestra (la evidencia esta en que obtuvo la Palma de Oro en Cannes en 1987), para otros es una cinta pretensiosa que repite lo que Dreyer y Bresson habian ya expresado con mucho mas elocuencia.
November 28, 2009
2 stars.
Under the Satan' sun was a movie, that whatever I did I couldn't relate to this movie. There was too much dialogue which was so intense that I could not understand anything about the characters.Should you be religious to understand this movie?To believe in God's miracles to revive the boy,cause the priest asked for it? And if you don't believe, watching this was more torture?? Did it make any sense?I watched till the end, cause it was only one and a half hour long and for curiosity.The movie was well played and act,but not my type of movie at all.
mvieaddict
November 28, 2009
March 15, 2009
Mysticisme cru du reel. Absolument sublime.
½ March 1, 2009
Des images magnifiques et un Depardieu tout simplement incroyable ne m'ont helas pas sauve d'un certain ennui. Est-ce parce que je ne me sens pas concerne par la crise de foi du personnage principal, ou que je n'ai pas lu l'oeuvre originale de Bernanos, ou qu'il y a un cote un peu trop theatral, toujours est-il que j'avoue avoir decroche quelque peu. Je devrais sans doute m'y replonger plus tard, quand j'aurai plus de maturite et de vecu, pour pleinement apprecie cette rencontre avec le diable en pleine campagne. En attendant, seduit par la forme, moins par le fond...
January 19, 2009
nope..... nothing there
½ January 1, 2009
Slow and heavy but with a few moments of divine emotional intensity.
½ June 1, 2008
May be highly rated by critics but frankly I found it rather boring.
½ March 20, 2008
It looks like a painting, sounds like a play and Depardieu is stunning. Only problem, my lack of interest in the religion thing make it difficult for me to really get into the story of a priest doubting of his faith and meeting with satan one night in the countryside...
January 23, 2008
Un grand Pialat. Une palme d'or amplement méritée malgré les sifflets du public.