Under the Tuscan Sun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Under the Tuscan Sun Reviews

June 14, 2017
While predictable and too precious in recounting Frances' romantic disappointments, Under the Tuscan Sun is ultimately worthwhile for its celebration of home, family, friendship, and the lives we create while we think we're headed somewhere else.

Best of all, it manages to capture much of the warmth of being in one of the most beautiful and hospitable places on earth. The Tuscan setting, Diane Lane and a wonderful supporting cast save this from from being the dreary chick flick it might have been. An excellent choice for whenever your spirit needs a lift.
½ April 22, 2017
It was sweet and I loved the scenery.
April 19, 2017
Always loved? this movie!
April 18, 2017
I find is mesmerizing and full of hope, simplicity and beauty.
½ March 18, 2017
Well to do American divorcée with more money than brains buys a rundown villa in Tuscany. (Much more money; whilst having to dicker over the price, she subsequently manages to cook sumptuous buffets for her workmen and wander around Italy indefinitely with no job or apparent means of support.) Interminable boredom and the inevitable Italian lover ensue; this is a chick flick in the most pejorative sense of the term. Lane acts like an unskilled clueless teenage ingénue throughout - which dynamically clashes with her seriously fading looks - along the way smashing into a variety of (mostly Italian) cardboard stereotypes, dykes, divas, senile contessas and gigolos among them. Bloated with unnecessary scenes, the most ridiculous being a clumsily inserted and pointless recreation of the fountain scene in 'La Dolce Vita'. (A similar conceit was used in an effective and appropriate narrative context in 'Only You', Norman Jewison's vastly superior ode to Italy and romance). 'Tuscan Sun' may be the most vacant piece of cinema of the last decade, despite its admittedly well-lensed panoramas of Italy. Bonus negative point for Well to do American divorcée with more money than brains buys a rundown villa in Tuscany. (Much more money; whilst having to dicker over the price, she subsequently manages to cook sumptuous buffets for her workmen and wander around Italy indefinitely with no job or apparent means of support.) Interminable boredom and the inevitable Italian lover ensue; this is a chick flick in the most pejorative sense of the term. Lane acts like an unskilled clueless teenage ingénue throughout - which dynamically clashes with her seriously fading looks - along the way smashing into a variety of (mostly Italian) cardboard stereotypes, dykes, divas, senile contessas and gigolos among them. Bloated with unnecessary scenes, the most ridiculous being a clumsily inserted and pointless recreation of the fountain scene in 'La Dolce Vita'. (A similar conceit was used in an effective and appropriate narrative context in 'Only You', Norman Jewison's vastly superior ode to Italy and romance). 'Tuscan Sun' may be the most vacant piece of cinema of the last decade, despite its admittedly well-lensed panoramas of Italy. Bonus negative point for the extraneous lover parachuted in at the last minute to provide requisite Hollywood ending for its targeted audience of Oprah-brainwashed housewives. Avoid at all costs, unless, of course, you view Oprah and Dr. Phil as pinnacles of intelligent discourse.
½ October 21, 2016
Sweet and heartwarming but resembles every other cliche romantic chick flick.
½ October 3, 2016
What a wild ride. You think you're getting into a fun rom com but you're not. Life is dark and difficult. Maybe the film was trying to challenge the idea the finding a man is what will make you happy, but it only subverted is as far as saying that happiness, when found, will finally help you attract a man.
Some really beautiful locations and a really nice sense of place.
½ June 27, 2016
Only saw the second half but really loved it. Prefer it to the book.
½ January 6, 2016
Always cheers me up. Full of magic and hope. Lovely cinematography. Diane Lane is charming.
October 20, 2015
Pitkästyin kesken leffan -tosin oon nähnyt tän aikasemminkin... Parasta elokuvassa olivat upeat maisemat sekä suorastaan sädehtivä Diane Lane. (Suom. Toscanan auringon alla)
½ July 18, 2015
I can only say that I'm glad that I didn't pay to see this movie. Even so, the amount it added to my electric and internet bill to stream it on Netflix is not money well-spent.

This seems to be filled with bad acting, stereotypes that cross the line on being insulting and outright ripoffs of other works. I know the film is from 2003 but plenty of other works stand up years later when you watch them.

I am usually a fan of RomComs but this one was a total turn off. Not far into the film, I was thinking that the best decision made by any of the characters was the one the husband made to leave this whiny, mopey, self-involved woman. In a brief overview, she is just overwhelmed by affluent white people problems.

If cliches and saccharine platitudes are your thing, then this movie is for you. If you are looking for depth, good writing and multi-dimensional characters are your thing, then pass. I was able to walk out of the room several times and not miss one interesting plot point. This is a definite pass.
½ July 1, 2015
Full of stereotypical characters and sacharine, routine plot elements, without even capturing the beauty of Italy!
June 30, 2015
Lane gives a pleasant enough performance and the scenery is beautiful while the script covers no new ground.Lazy mid afternoon weekend watch.
May 16, 2015
Ikke så fantastisk og romantisk som jeg husket den fra da den kom. Men alikevel fin.
April 10, 2015
Make me think alot...
April 9, 2015
just life,as it goes sometimes. Refreshing and fun.
½ March 16, 2015
Pretty good, still cheesy, but better than most.
March 1, 2015
An ok drama/comedy/romance film. Not bad, not great.
½ February 11, 2015
For a movie like this to work you need two things-- beautiful scenery, and a likeable protagonist, and fortunately Under the Tuscan Sun delivers these two things in aces. Yes there are lots of cliches, etc... but Diane Lane is so wonderful in this movie, she practically sells it on her own. The movie is just so unpretentious, positive and inspiring it has a vibrant life of its own