Under the Volcano Reviews

• Feb 01, 2021

Good direction by John Huston, but a great performance by Albert Finney

Good direction by John Huston, but a great performance by Albert Finney

• Jul 13, 2020

This approach to the material makes it drag no matter how good the actors.

This approach to the material makes it drag no matter how good the actors.

• Jul 29, 2019

I read the book first and than watched the movie and it was exactly like i imagend when i read the book . A movie that accomplishes that is worth 5 stars . Great performance from Finney and Huston

• Dec 02, 2016

The best movie about alcoholism ever made, Under the Volcano beholds one of cinema's greatest performances.

• Apr 09, 2016

I may only drink beer today. George Firmin is oblivious to everything going on around him as he lives his life in a state of hangover and getting drunk again. His friends try to get him to slow down; meanwhile, a revolution is about to break out around him and people are going to start dying. Hopefully the local events can sober George up. "You should write something about the day of the dead." "It's been done." John Huston, director of The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, The Man Who Would Become King, Moulin Rouge (1952), and Key Largo, delivers Under the Volcano. The storyline for this wasn't as tight as I would have liked it and I didn't find the characters that compelling. The script was solid. The cast includes Albert Finney, Anthony Andrews, Jacqueline Bisset, and Katy Jurado. "Ride 'em, cowboy!" I DVR'd this picture because it was directed by the legend John Huston. This was disappointing and one of my least favorite pictures from Huston. Overall, I wouldn't go out of my way to see this. "I couldn't get the ring off..." Grade: C-

• Feb 24, 2016

Sad and tragic. It's thought provoking, but not something you watch. For entertainment.

• Jan 12, 2016

• Apr 22, 2015

gr8 cast makes this one go

gr8 cast makes this one go

• Jun 02, 2014

Decidedly a mish-mash from Huston, who seems so utterly seduced by Finney's performance (a rare piece of perfection) that the rest of the film surrounding it has as sure a footing as the consul at its center. Bisset is trying but given very little to do besides look concerned and get dragged around by the script. The rising tension and pain of the climax are nearly destroyed by the very last moments of overplaying one's hand, and crushing literal evocation of the title, an unnecessary move.