Undertow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Undertow Reviews

September 9, 2016
In a small Peruvian fishing village, Miguel is a good-hearted, happily married man joyfully awaiting the birth of his first child, but is also carrying on a secret affair with Santiago, an artist quietly shunned by the rest of the village for being a presumed homosexual. An unusual story with a mystical twist unfolds, forcing Miguel to make ethical choices and face up to what it truly means to be a man of honor.
½ May 28, 2016
Only if I didn't know the ending upfront...
½ January 30, 2016
A beautiful film and a pretty sad one too.Beautiful cinematography combined with an extremely sad and totally heart-breaking script,together with the exceptional acting form this tale of love,identiy and righteousness.Extremely belivable,really well-made.I'm a crying mess.
December 29, 2015
Excellent movie, portraits beautifully the drama of a homophobic society, culture and love.
November 26, 2015
This movie is right up there with Brokeback Mountain. Y tambien el mejor pelicula que he visto de mi querido Peru.
April 29, 2015
Very well done. Tender, thoughtful and full of angst. Tries to express the complications of the major players -- the young gay painter, the married protagonist about to have a child, his wife who is caught in a situation for which she is unprepared. Also, does a good job of handling the cultural distain by adding characters whose humanity overcomes their prejudices, who step up and defy the more conventional elements around them. Best movie about gay men I've ever seen on Netflix.
March 30, 2015
A beautiful film on so many levels. Undertow evokes so much emotion without even trying, with superb acting from the entire cast. The show felt so natural and real, not falling prey to cliches and fairy tales. Undertow is gem of a film, plain and simple.
½ March 23, 2015
A beautiful story of the agony of coming out when loves finds you and demands you find the courage to honour your lover.
March 18, 2015
Very sad ghost story
August 26, 2014
A beautiful film both visually and emotionally. It made me think of Brokeback Mountain a bit.
½ August 15, 2014
A little something is off, but all the rest is completely right on!!!
June 8, 2014
This movie will be forever etched in my mind. I'm not kidding. Incredibly moving and a tad disturbing.
½ May 13, 2014
The most extraordinary thing about this most beautiful film is something that I wouldn't have known if I hadn't taken my eyes from the screen during a pivotal early reveal (subtitles; my Peruvian is rubbish). It makes total and sublime metaphoric sense without that knowledge. A sparkling, salty gem.
½ April 9, 2014
Brokeback Mountain told through the lens of magical realism. Nice looking film and quite interesting
March 26, 2014
one of those movies that show u the meaning. of really love. so nice this was so good play that I didn't. care that was about. gay man's. not like Diana and Jack this movie did have. a motive,fun,an most important. meaning. so great. undertown. I recommend. so nice.
½ March 16, 2014
I still cannot believe this movie was made in Latin America. This was a work of art. The supernatural aspect of the story is simply the method of delivery for excellent performances, great dialogue, and a superb script. It has been a while since I've seen a movie I've liked so much and the fact this was not a commercial hit makes it even more worthy of praise in my eyes
½ March 8, 2014
A ghost story which was so heartbreaking and bittersweet. The stunning scenery and the ocean added to the love story that wasn't meant to be. I loved the pave of the film and how Miguel never gave up and accepted who he was.
July 19, 2013
Absolutamente recomendada. Pocas veces he ido a ver una película con tan pocas expectativas y me he ido tan gratamente sorprendido
July 5, 2013
Surprisingly great cast and a very good plot. It took me a little bit to engage with the story and to get a handle on the characters, but from the middle to the end I got totally taken in by all the characters. It was moving, bittersweet and beautiful.
July 1, 2013
Very nowadays story. Something that is real and at the same time shocking. Knowing that love can alter your life, even when you are not expecting it to happen.
A true life drama.