Underworld: The Rise of the Lycans - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Underworld: The Rise of the Lycans Reviews

August 13, 2017
We could be slaves?! Or we can be Lycans?!
August 13, 2017
Poorly conceived prequel to a mindless supernatural action series, it attempts to add pathos to the war's outbreak with a doomed love story badly riffing off of Romeo & Juliet.
July 12, 2017
Not a great one but the third in the set is never very good
½ July 7, 2017
Not as entertaining as the first two installments. Rise of the Lycans showcases how the series is quickly wearing thin.
July 5, 2017
Ótimo para os fãs ávidos em conhecer o início da série; mas como um filme é confuso e brega, assim como seus antecessores. Apesar de ser cinco cabeças responsáveis por esta estorinha, todas elas parecem não ter animo em produzir algo coerente e menos imaginativo.
June 29, 2017
A prequel that was needed
June 17, 2017
A nice bloody movie :)
February 26, 2017
Under World: Rise of the Lycans is the third Under World movie but is a prequel to the first. This is by far the best Under World film altho it isn't saying much since the other aren't that good. This movie gets away from all that boring Matrix copy cat gun action and goes more with medieval sword action which is plus. Altho the plot is daily thin and generic as well as it seems a bit rushed and some characters aren't developed as properly as the should be this was an actual enjoyable watch even if it is has a simplistic plot. The characters are more interesting this time around and we get pretty solid performances from the cast. The setting is also fantastic. It has a really similar look to the battle of helms deep from Lord of the Rings which isn't bad at all and actually seems fitting of a vampire and werewolf shared world. The characters in this film like I said before are a bit under developed. It would have been nice if they spent more time with them seeing as a lot of character motivations and relationships seem forced and out of no where without proper set up. The final battle as well I really wish was longer. It started out really epic like it should but lasts only a couple of minutes and before we get to see enough Vampire vs werewolves medieval action the films over. Also there's a lot of contradictions in this movie which is pretty noticeable if your paying attention. Also you could say the films is kind of pointless since the first film already explains basically what this film does in its 90 minute run time but I'm personally glad they decided to do this film since It's the only one of the franchise I can actually sit through and enjoy. Overall tho this is the most watchable and interesting of the Under World films with solid performances as well as pretty good creature designs and has a rather interesting plot despite it being generic and simple. A lot of the good things about this film is due to pretty good world design and visually interesting set pieces but with a little more work this could have been even better. Over all tho 3/5 and this is being generous because I'm a pretty big werewolf movie fan and this is a type of werewolf movie I've wanted to see even tho the film as a whole probably deserves a lower score.
jamrcla
½ February 11, 2017
A very good prequel with the original cast which makes a nice change in prequels, It was nice to see Michael Sheen back too, I enjoyed it just as much as the others, The action was very gory and entertaining, If you payed attention to the first two Underworld movies then you kind of know what is going to happen and when as literally the whole film is explained in Underworld 1 & 2 so it kind of takes the excitement out of some bits but it's still great and probably the best Underworld film to date.
February 4, 2017
Very good but probably the worst in a brilliant series. Bill Nighy, Steven MacKintosh and Michael Sheen make this one worth watching, and it's good to see the series looking back to how the vampire/lycan wars started.
January 14, 2017
1/12/2017: A pretty decent prequel. The story was interesting and the action was good. And Rhona!!
January 12, 2017
Why I chose to sit through this series? I'm still not sure. But I do know one thing, this series provides nothing more than some blood, guts, and an occasional cringe worthy romance.

'Rise of the Lycans' is the first and only in the franchise to not star Kate Beckinsale, though they tried their hardest to make it seem like she's in by putting a lookalike actress, Rhona Mitra, front and center. Their characters wear similar clothes and have similar makeup and characteristics. Only Mitra's character, Sonja, is poorly written and adds nothing new to the lore of this series. Really, this entire film can be described this way. It was the shortest film, until 'Awakening', and by far the thinnest in depth.

Rotten Tomatoes sums it up as being indistinguishable and unnecessary. That just about defines this film to a pulp. We already had flashbacks and a brief history lesson in the previous film to the war between Werewolves & Vampires, and already exposed to how Viktor fits into the grand scheme of things. So, was there any need to make this film instead of a continuation with Selene and Michael? Absolutely not. To be fair, I think Michael Sheen's performance makes the film worth watching. The writing takes his character in a Romeo & Juliet direction with Sonja, Viktor's daughter, but Sheen easily outperforms everyone. And yes, that includes Bill Nighy's once again over-the-top turn as Viktor.

The reality is, this series has perhaps never tried to be anything more than a guilty pleasure for the blockbuster genre. There's some solid action, a well-realized performance from Michael Sheen, and a short running time. Okay, perhaps the latter shouldn't be a compliment for a movie, but I guess that's what Underworld gives us.

+Sheen

-Adds virtually nothing to the series

-Rehash of material

-Nighy is once again over-the-top

-Another pointless romance

4.2/10
January 9, 2017
amazing prequel, gives a full story behind everything in the first two movies with characters from both. intense, emotional, action, drama, beastliness. some of the fight scenes were shaky with quick cuts (about 5 viewings)
January 8, 2017
Kill this series already...liked the first one only.
January 6, 2017
4/5. The best of the Underworld sequels with some really great performances from Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy.
January 6, 2017
Rise of the Lycans almost falls in the 'it's so bad it's fun' category, but the constant cuts, shaky cam and awful cg take you of any good action. The fact that there are no stakes make this prequel totally unnecessary.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 26, 2016
Pretty Good = 3.5/5

Definitely my second favorite Underworld film yet. Not only is this a genuinely entertaining film itself, it makes the first film even better, making it a very affective and worth while prequel.
½ December 2, 2016
The worst of the Underworlds. Archaic setting and overly long and talky.
½ November 28, 2016
Contra todos los pronósticos, la tercera entrega de "Underworld" (sin el protagonismo de Kate Beckinsale y Scott Speedman), es una mejora de las anteriores entregas. Esta precuela nos cuenta la trágica historia de amor entre Mitra, la hija del Señor de los Vampiros y Lucian, el Señor de los Lycans. Ayuda muchísimo que los secundarios aquí se conviertan en protagonistas y que ellos sean Bill Nighy y Michael Sheen. Pero no se deje engañar... la saga de "Underworld" no tiene remedio.