Underworld: The Rise of the Lycans - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Underworld: The Rise of the Lycans Reviews

January 14, 2017
1/12/2017: A pretty decent prequel. The story was interesting and the action was good. And Rhona!!
January 12, 2017
Why I chose to sit through this series? I'm still not sure. But I do know one thing, this series provides nothing more than some blood, guts, and an occasional cringe worthy romance.

'Rise of the Lycans' is the first and only in the franchise to not star Kate Beckinsale, though they tried their hardest to make it seem like she's in by putting a lookalike actress, Rhona Mitra, front and center. Their characters wear similar clothes and have similar makeup and characteristics. Only Mitra's character, Sonja, is poorly written and adds nothing new to the lore of this series. Really, this entire film can be described this way. It was the shortest film, until 'Awakening', and by far the thinnest in depth.

Rotten Tomatoes sums it up as being indistinguishable and unnecessary. That just about defines this film to a pulp. We already had flashbacks and a brief history lesson in the previous film to the war between Werewolves & Vampires, and already exposed to how Viktor fits into the grand scheme of things. So, was there any need to make this film instead of a continuation with Selene and Michael? Absolutely not. To be fair, I think Michael Sheen's performance makes the film worth watching. The writing takes his character in a Romeo & Juliet direction with Sonja, Viktor's daughter, but Sheen easily outperforms everyone. And yes, that includes Bill Nighy's once again over-the-top turn as Viktor.

The reality is, this series has perhaps never tried to be anything more than a guilty pleasure for the blockbuster genre. There's some solid action, a well-realized performance from Michael Sheen, and a short running time. Okay, perhaps the latter shouldn't be a compliment for a movie, but I guess that's what Underworld gives us.

+Sheen

-Adds virtually nothing to the series

-Rehash of material

-Nighy is once again over-the-top

-Another pointless romance

4.2/10
January 9, 2017
amazing prequel, gives a full story behind everything in the first two movies with characters from both. intense, emotional, action, drama, beastliness. some of the fight scenes were shaky with quick cuts (about 5 viewings)
January 8, 2017
Kill this series already...liked the first one only.
January 6, 2017
4/5. The best of the Underworld sequels with some really great performances from Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy.
January 6, 2017
Rise of the Lycans almost falls in the 'it's so bad it's fun' category, but the constant cuts, shaky cam and awful cg take you of any good action. The fact that there are no stakes make this prequel totally unnecessary.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 26, 2016
Pretty Good = 3.5/5

Definitely my second favorite Underworld film yet. Not only is this a genuinely entertaining film itself, it makes the first film even better, making it a very affective and worth while prequel.
½ December 2, 2016
The worst of the Underworlds. Archaic setting and overly long and talky.
½ November 28, 2016
Contra todos los pronósticos, la tercera entrega de "Underworld" (sin el protagonismo de Kate Beckinsale y Scott Speedman), es una mejora de las anteriores entregas. Esta precuela nos cuenta la trágica historia de amor entre Mitra, la hija del Señor de los Vampiros y Lucian, el Señor de los Lycans. Ayuda muchísimo que los secundarios aquí se conviertan en protagonistas y que ellos sean Bill Nighy y Michael Sheen. Pero no se deje engañar... la saga de "Underworld" no tiene remedio.
½ November 17, 2016
**** 4 stars. Critics invoke Romeo & Juliet when reviewing this film as some kind of fault with the story. That classic story line has been used often to great effect. Folks need to take this film for what it is. That is, a vampire/werewolf fantasy. I liked the first two films and feel that this one is the best of the trilogy. Non scifi/fantasy critics usually always pan this kind of film. But fans of this genre will like this film.
November 7, 2016
Really liked it great story and full of action
November 2, 2016
good start to get the storytelling in it's way to how the battle began and who wanted to kill who to have power.
October 30, 2016
An entertaining prequel thanks to Michael Sheen's commanding yet self aware performance
½ October 29, 2016
Better than the two films that preceded it, due mostly to the two leads. Still not a particular good movie by any stretch but harmlessly straightforward and fun for fans of vampires and werewolves.
September 13, 2016
TV bad movie quality.
August 16, 2016
I'm guessing this film franchise was a moderate hit for its time and this spinoff isn't bad for something made in (2009) but it didn't really wow me but it was solid enough I guess as a filler, but Michael Sheens acting is commendable.
jamrcla
½ July 30, 2016
A very good prequel with the original cast which makes a change I enjoyed it just as much as the others, allot of blood and sliced throats in this one, Sheen does a good job in a even better film.
½ July 25, 2016
Really Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Acting and Atrocious CGI They were all Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad My father said so himself it's Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad And the worst underworld there is even if i haven't seen it i just felt like reviewing it because it's so Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad.

Score: 0.5/10
½ July 6, 2016
Ooooh! Can't wait!!

Kinda bummed they're making Sonja out as a prototype for Selene.
Wasn't she blond in the first movie?