Unicorn City Reviews

• Feb 08, 2017

A lot of laughs without being mean. Occasionally the writing lets it down, but that's definitely the exception rather than the rule. It's not too serious, and if you think the idea has potential, then you'll probably enjoy the result.

• Jan 14, 2017

Where the video games come alive. If you read the title correctly, you would think it's a little kid's film, especially for girls. Even the title design gives the same impression, more like a fairytale. But shockingly, this film was very different. This is about the gamers, the people who are crazy about video games. It was like a comic con, the film characters decide to create a utopia for the gamer with their favourite gaming characters. So they gather outskirt of the town and when everything was going well, they bump into a series of trouble, especially the founder of it. Coming out of it is the rest of the film to reveal. It is not my favourite, but one of the best B movies I have seen and a bit refreshing. My appreciation is according to how they managed to give this product with the limited financial support. The quality of the film was so good. The performances were well recognisable. Since it was a comedy, sometimes the flaws are gone unnoticed. Not a bad attempt for the first time direction. Though the story was easy, predictable, but still enjoyable. Surely some people will find it good, even better than I did, so I hope this film reaches them instead of those who criticise it. 7/10

• Mar 03, 2016

Loved it! Great cast and story

Loved it! Great cast and story

• Feb 06, 2014

Funny, but also emotional enough to make you care about the characters. A small band of dreamers band together to defeat Uncle Rico (John Gries), the evil dungeon master.

• Jan 30, 2014

There were a few laughs in this but they were too spaced out. Quite predictable and as much I like to make fun of LARPing it was a bit much at times.

• Jan 21, 2014

Such a sweet movie. Very geeky of course, but had a nice tone to it anyway. Silliness and laughter and a little cluelessness are throughout.

• Dec 31, 2013

boring and pretty pitiful...

boring and pretty pitiful...

• Nov 04, 2013

A great indie comedy about a bunch of nerds playing fantasy role playing games. Unicorn City knows its target audience and it delivers 100% with a fun, smart story that leaves you feeling good at the end. Voss is an angry nerd who wants to get 'The Job' at a major table-top game company, and to do so, he has to prove himself as a leader. Thus, he creates Unicorn City, and has to deal with an arch rival, a bunch of misfit gamers and one beautiful blonde geek girl who's obviously in love with him. Devin McGinn plays Voss like a gamer version of Michael Scott just right, but Jaclyn Hales as Marsha nails her geek girl role perfectly. You can tell the cast had fun making this, and as a whole, Unicorn City doesn't leave any plot holes, even thought the story is quite simple, and is delivered like an 80s comedy. My only complaint is the soundtrack, it's indie, most likely to remind the viewers that this is an indie film, but it's also lame, too weak for a movie about people playing a fantasy role playing game with knights, dragons, wizards and such. An epic 80s soundtrack, or a parody of it - much like Regular Show - would improve the entire movie. That, or some power metal. Overall, Unicorn City was a pleasant surprise and definitely a comedy worth your time.

• Aug 04, 2013

Who is this written for?

Who is this written for?

• Aug 01, 2013

Not the greatest film but in no way did it need to be. It made me laugh unexpectedly and really get into the socially awkward characters. Mostly because I know people just like them.