Union Depot Reviews

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    Aug 21, 2017

There is a lot to like about this 65 minute pre-Code film from 1932. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. is charming as a hobo who finds some money and befriends a chorus girl (Joan Blondell) who needs money for a train ticket. Blondell is brilliant and the relationship that develops between the two of them is touching. Director Alfred E. Green tells a great story - introducing the area of a train station with scenes of sassiness and levity, and then using lots of fluid camera movement while keeping almost all of the action there. Peppered throughout the film are salacious little moments that keep it lively without going over-the-top, and little touches such as the railway employee melodiously yelling "All Aboard!". It's not a heavy drama or anything, but as criminals and the cops close in while trying to find counterfeit money, there are moments of tension. The chase through the train yard is excellent, and in one moment it actually appears as though a train bumps Alan Hale. The ending was a very nice touch and I loved it so much I bumped my rating up, but won't spoil it. Very entertaining.

• Aug 06, 2017

Union Depot is an excellent film. It is about travelers of different and varied backgrounds who meet and interact on one night in a metropolitan train station and its environs. Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Joan Blondell give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Alfred E. Green did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Union Depot is a must see.

• Sep 16, 2014