The Universe of Keith Haring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Universe of Keith Haring Reviews

June 23, 2012
A fly-on-the-wall glimpse into the world of K. Haring. Truly inspiring and moving.
April 11, 2012
I did not know that Yoko Ono deposited some of Keith Haring's ashes in front of the obelisk in Paris. This and many other interesting facts and family stories about the man and artist are dispensed in this powerful documentary about an art world outsider who produced an amazing body of work before his death on Feb 16, 1990.
January 27, 2012
This brought up a heavy stirring inside about conflicted ideas existence and identity while sharing a great story of my youth
September 13, 2011
What a beautiful person.
½ August 13, 2011
This documentary is fascinating only to those who love art. If you are looking to be entertained, you will be disappointed. This tells the life story of Keith Haring and his impact as an artist. I personally enjoyed it!
March 23, 2011
Beyond the nostalgia I felt in revisiting the era and my own NY memories from the 80s, this doc really had some amazing footage, some exceptional interviews, including the artists himself. I learned a lot about Haring's process, especially his commitment to large-scale murals after he got famous. It was an amazing (and ultimately) tragic time. He obviously touch a lot of people before his death from AIDS. I was one of them.
March 1, 2011
A fantastic portrait of an artist robbed from the world entirely too soon.
½ December 11, 2010
Decent. I like his work, but the doc is just ok.
August 1, 2010
An inspiring, moving and immensely enjoyable film that documents the life of one of the greatest artistic minds of the 20th century and a man who truly changed what the word 'art' meant for people all over the world, utilizing the power of the image to bring education, beauty and wonder into their lives. Highly recommended for anyone at all interested in creative media or pop culture and required viewing for those who think that art is reserved only for chin-scratching intellectuals.
June 19, 2010
A good intro to Haring and his work, but nothing deep or substantial.
½ July 7, 2009
I'm not that familiar with Haring but I'd say this documentary looks like his art and although much was left unsaid you get a general idea about him.
February 22, 2009
Appropriately, appealingly poppy account of where the boyish, Pennsylvanian-born artist's trademark jittering, New Wave jelly babies came from... Clausen sets it to a fine soundtrack of 80s electro and hip hop: the video to a Haring-backed project entitled "Crack is Wack" now looks as dated as the Grange Hill Cast's "Just Say No", but you also get a young Madonna singing "Dress You Up" in a Haring-designed jacket, and Grace Jones naked save for some (no doubt very carefully applied) Haring bodypaint. The real pleasure here lies in rediscovering an artist who - despite his early death, and a compulsion to cover every available space in neurotic doodles - was in himself fundamentally well-adjusted; the prize contributions come from Haring's mum, dad and sisters, unimpressed by Andy Warhol, and left charmingly bewildered by Manhattan gallery openings: "Oh, you must be Keith's family - you're the only people here not dressed in black with pink hair."
½ November 1, 2008
He was an amazing man and an amazing talent