Unknown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unknown Reviews

½ January 18, 2016
I found this to be a well-crafted thriller for the first 50 minutes of its running time, building toward an exciting finish along the lines of "The Usual Suspects." Much credit is due to the excellent cast. But just past the half-way mark it begins to lose its momentum and never recovers. It is at that point that the mens' true identities become known and the rest of the movie then unfolds in a predictable manner. I was even able to anticipate the tacked-on twist at the very end of the movie, which just felt formulaic and unnecessary. I have no doubt that this would have been a better movie had the identities of the characters been concealed for longer. Mostly what made the first half of the movie work was watching them eye one another with guarded suspicion, unsure of what side each of them is on. Once the mystery of who each man is becomes known to the audience, any suspenseful feelings quickly begin to taper off, as the characters naturally return to their individual agendas before the gas was released. This is far from being a bad movie, but I cannot help but consider ways that it could have been greatly improved.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Pretty okey movie which begins and feels like saw at first. 5 men are trapped in some building and they dont remember who they are and how they got there. They must found a way out.. Okey story and overall a nice flick.
November 13, 2014
"Trust no one, fear everyone" is very well suited for this awesome movie. Kept my interest the whole time leaving me wondering which 2 guys were the good guys and which 3 were the bad guys and no of them knowing who they were and if they were a "bad guy".
September 4, 2014
Good movie. While the plot isn't a hundred percent original, the suspense is strong, the style is good, and the performances are great, especially Caviziel and Kinnear.
½ August 28, 2014
Lackluster. Follows the typical movie blueprint like a step by step checklist.
June 10, 2014
Very unique movie, definitely worth a rent.
January 21, 2014
it was wonderfull and thrilling , i wanted to see every shot . i can't understand why some people are very picky not to like sucha thriller !
December 25, 2013
"Enjoyable thriller with superb performances, a decent plot and some thought-provoking ideas about identity and human nature underneath its twisty tale." Great cast. I was wondering how it could be like Memento and Saw, but it really works.
December 9, 2013
Excellent play..and making film..
November 20, 2013
One line summary: Five men with temporary memory loss guess their roles in a kidnapping.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jean Jacket wakes up in a closed room where the one exit is locked by passcode. Other prisoners are present, and most seem worse for the wear. Jean Jacket pounds on the door and raises a holler or ten, but gets no attention. He takes a phone call, and takes notes, but seems not to know what it was about.

Broken Nose, Bound Man, Handcuffed Man, and Rancher Shirt wake up soon there after, and the four of them try to figure out who they are and why they are together.

Elsewhere, Eliza cooperates with law enforcement to get her husband back.

Snakeskin Boots intercepts the hostage money and eludes the police; he calls the trapped men and tells them he will meet with them before sundown. Bound Man finds a gun, but Jean Jacket takes it away from him. They discover instructions about the toxic gas stored in canister around the rooms. It can cause temporary memory loss in small doses. Broken Nose begins to remember a bit later; he was one of the abductees. He talks to Rancher Shirt, the other abductee. Rancher Shirt tries to get the gun from Jean Jacket, but fails.

Broken Nose frees Bound Man, and the anger rises and partial memories surface. Jean Jacket gives Handcuffed Man some water, but cannot get the handcuffs off.

The last two kidnappers are coming with the money. Two cops are tailing them with mixed success. Erin is in despair about losing her husband. The men in the room with memory loss are cooperating to find a way out before the kidnappers come.

How does this pan out? Be prepared for twists and turns as the memories surface.

-------Scores-------

Cinematography: 8/10 No problems.

Sound: 9/10 Well done.

Acting: 7/10 Jim Caviezel, Bridget Moynihan, Peter Stormare, and Joe Pantoliano were excellent. On the other hand, Greg Kinnear was unconvincing as usual; with every line he speaks, I look for an indication that it's a joke or a bluff. I only believe his insincerity. Jeremy Sisto disappoints as always.

Screenplay: 9/10 Kept me guessing to the end.
½ October 17, 2013
Managing to make something this shitty with this cast is quite a feat.
September 12, 2013
Wake up in a place when no one remember what happens before...
September 4, 2013
I zoned out after about 30 minutes, the plot failed to engage me in what goes on in the film, characters were dull, I wish I could have gotten the 85 minutes I spent on watching the film back.
August 23, 2013
Unknown is like Saw mixed with The Usual Suspects. It is entertaining fluff with little substance but an enjoyable premise and good acting. Nothing great but a movie that will have you wondering who is who even if you really aren't that invested.
½ July 28, 2013
It was okay, but no "Momento" or anything.
July 1, 2013
Nice thriller with good performances--Unknown and Unexpected!!
June 16, 2013
Great cast- I'll sit through just about anything Jim Caviezel is in, and Jeremy Sisto was an added bonus. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of the good things I can say about this movie. It's a stale plot I've seen at least five times before, and none of the characters are well-rounded enough that I became really invested in them. Despite the couple of good actors, this became background noise by about halfway through.
½ June 7, 2013
Not bad but nothing exciting either...worth a look if u have nothing else to rent.
June 7, 2013
Great little thriller. Tons of cool stuff. A film that actually takes a high-concept premise and NAILS it.