Unknown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unknown Reviews

November 16, 2016
A second-rate bourne identity. Had a decent enough premise and plot that devolved into tedious, unnecessary car chases and fight scenes and unbelievable schlock. The first 15 minutes had me intrigued and wanting to know more, but by the 30 minute mark we fast-forwarded to the end.
October 13, 2016
Liam Neeson has a very particular set of skills and instead of using them to save his family, this time he's using them to save himself. Dr. Martin Harris (Neeson) has gone to Berlin, with his wife, for a medical conference, when an accident has left him in a coma. Upon awaking, no one knows who he is, not even his wife, but worse than that, there is another person walking around claiming to be Martin Harris. I don't know about you, but after three Taken movies and a handful of similar film, all starring Liam Neeson, playing the same type of character in the same type of situations, I've gotten pretty tired of him and his particular set of skills. At least the Taken movies moved at a reasonable pace and had more than a narrow focus, the same can't be said for Unknown. Parts of this film are as slow as can be, featuring Neeson and company sitting around talking about what could be going on and what to do before they show them doing it. They story is also so narrowly focused, that it leaves little flexibility for anything else. This film is as serious as it gets, it is a hundred percent focused on the story at all times, and Liam Neeson is as dry as the banks of the Colorado River. The chase scenes were cool, the conspiracy around everything was well written, but all in all this film feels very long and moves way too slowly for an action thriller, not to mention, I think I speak for everyone when I say we've had more than enough of Liam Neeson in these type of films.
½ September 28, 2016
Unknown features a typically great performance from Liam Neeson, and some well shot and executed action scenes. I really was able to feel the tension and plight the characters were in. Unfortunately, the plot was a bit messy for me, I had a difficult time following everything coming at me, especially in the final act. Some of the scenarios that was in this also seemed a little far fetched at times, I wasn't sure if they would play out like how they did in real life. In the end though, it's not horrible, and I would recommend to any Neeson fans out there
½ September 27, 2016
Liam Neeson plays another middle-aged superman in this frenetic movie full of overstylish action, but even if the mediocre plot begins relatively interesting, it soon comes up with a lot of convenient holes and ends with a ludicrous explanation that is more laughable than surprising.
September 15, 2016
This is a fun action thriller with a clever plot behind it that will keep you intrigued and guessing throughout. Liam Neeson does seem to be "phoning it in" performance wise a lot of the time but the movie works, has great pacing and you'll not have time to get bored. A very rewatchable movie too.
August 2, 2016
Another solid Liam Neeson movie, but, like its protagonist, is quite forgettable.
Verdict: C+
July 29, 2016
A thriller thats trully intriguing for the first half then begins to lose steam before flopping over the line as a mediocre spy thriller.
Neeson seems to be playing the same character from Taken whilst the plot seems to have taken inspiration from the Bournes.
Lack-lustre effort.
jamrcla
July 28, 2016
An amazing mystery/action film that's gripping from start to finish with one of the best twists in film, The film starts slow and takes a while to find out what's really going on as we're spoon fed plot details, But while we're trying to get our head around the story there was some good action and chase scenes, It's better than taken for the story but not the action, A must watch for anyone who enjoys a good plot.
July 23, 2016
Great movie with a nice twist on the plot.
July 15, 2016
There's action and then there's Liam Neeson action.
July 15, 2016
After being in a car accident, Dr. Martin Harris wakes up and finds his world in chaos when his wife doesn't recognize him and another man has stolen his identity. Then when assassins begin hunting him, he begins to realize there is much more to his accident. Unknown is thrilling, interesting, and although its ending is a bit far fetched, Unknown is still a very good action film.
July 10, 2016
Excellent, not easily predictable. Awsome movie ,two thumbs up!!!!
June 22, 2016
Good flick. Could have been great but the big reveal is a bit disappointing but overall it was a very fun action packed movie.
June 13, 2016
i was bored watching this movie
May 23, 2016
It's hardly one of Neeson's best films, but it has enough mystery and crime drama to up the ante on what is a pretty convoluted film with a plot-hole FILLED story.

B-
May 23, 2016
Unknown is the first collaboration of director Jaume Collet-Serra and Liam Neeson in a mystery thriller about a doctor who got in a coma and his identity has been replaced. Even though the premise of it sounds really interesting, it also sounds implausible which worries me that it might be the case for this film. Luckily though, I had a lot of fun watching the film. It does have its share of implausibilities that made me go, what? However, I was still interested in what's going on thanks to Liam Neeson's acting who is always great in it. Diane Kruger is also really good as the supporting type, and the action scenes at the end are entertaining to watch. The car chases are very intense as you start to care about Liam Neeson's character and Diane Kruger's character, and I didn't really know where it was going. When it got to the twist, it was a bit predictable, but it also has other twists that I didn't expect coming out of this, but I did felt that the movie was a bit of a stretch on the twist though. Unknown is a great film that kept me on suspense of mystery, and it delivered.
May 17, 2016
The plot twist conclusion is disappointing and a little too far fetched. Many movies nowadays are really reaching for good cinema and for the most part it is not working.
May 14, 2016
This movie was slow but I like the crazy twist it totally caught me off guard