Unknown World Reviews

just OK B movie fare

just OK B movie fare

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Aug 21, 2014

A team of scientists explore underneath the Earth's crust and discover no mole people or other points of interest. Boring, cheap, and pointless. This "adventure" film is from producer Robert Lippert, which means lots of rock climbing.

• Dec 12, 2012

There's a lot not going on here, and it takes forever for very little to happen. The characters aren't interesting, and the plot is simple but very stretched out. There's not a lot to enjoy from this film, but it isn't all bad I suppose. It has some interesting sci-fi concepts.

• May 18, 2012

[b]A Mighty Wind. (2003) [/b] [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/radioman970/mightywind02.jpg[/img] [size=1]I watched this scene on youtube before watching the movie...so I had hiiiigh hopes. :([/size] Found this at a Fred's Discount Store at 2 for $5. Cool! I also picked up Anchor Bay's Incredible Hulk double feature set with 2 movies from the old Bill Bixley/Lou Ferigno show. So that's 3 flicks for $5. Neat! This film started very well but then dipped badly at about 40 minutes. I just stopped laughing and it was becoming a chore to watch. Luckily once the concert starts it shoots upward very sharply. I'll definitely give this repeat viewing since I felt it does many things right, but I'll not expect [i]Tap[/i] with folk music next time. It didn't quite come close to that level. Still, there's some pricelss moments among what isn't so priceless, including the first rate [i]fake[/i] folk music. I think they should've given the between music moments more attention in the writing process. 7/10 :fresh: [b]Unknown World. (1951) [/b] [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/radioman970/Unknown.jpg[/img] [size=1]Well, it's not really "unknown" is it? I mean, like, we know it's down there, right? [/size] I paid 25 cents for this film that must be the brother of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" that has a bickering troup of pioneers bent on saving humanity by travelling in a [url="http://www.collectorcarbuff.com/collector/mercury_custom.jpg"]1950 Ford Mercury[/url] shaped vessel deep down [i]dooooown[/i] into the earth. I'll bet the special effects guy throw a couple of rolls of quarters on those effects. As cheesy as they are, those backdrops probably took 10 gallons or more of paint, loads of plywood and canvas. That shiiit ain't cheap!! Luckily this film is able to rise a little above that cheesiness. It can be laughed at if you'd like (indeed, those MST3K guys somehow passed over this gem somehow) but I found the story material interesting enough to sit back and enjoy many portions. Sure, it's weak all around but not as terrible as the 4/10 rating on imdb.com would have you believe. The bulk of those voters must be younger than 15. On the other hand, this same thing has been done much better countless times, particularly the James Mason adaption of [i]Journey to the Center of the Earth[/i] also from the 1950s and even the goofy [i]At The Earth's Core[/i] with Doug McClure and Peter Cushing from the 1970s. You can spit in the video store and probably hit one that's better. 6/10 :fresh: [b]Little Boy Lost. (1978)[/b] [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/radioman970/littleboylost.jpg[/img] [size=1][i]"Bobby?!!!" "Cindy!!!!!" "...Mike, where are they?!!!" "Carol, I don't know! Where the hell is Alice?!! Alicccccccce....!!!"[/i][/size] Paid 50 cents for this some time ago. Now I can't return it!! No, the movie is okay but the DVD quality is shiiit! The sound began to travel. Eventually I was able to time the first movement of the mouth up to when the actual dialogue begins and I swear to God it was 2 entire seconds! There are scenes starting with the dialogue from the previous scene still going. yeah, it ruins a pretty decent film but it also provided some laughs. There's one dialogue exchange that had me in the floor because an elderly lady was talking with the voice of a young dude, yep, they'd exchanged voices and her mouth movements somehow FIT! I won't rate this for that reason. I felt it wasn't a bad film...following the aftermath of what happens when a little 4 year old Austrailian boy "goes walkabout" and wanders off from his daddy's farm. The film spends a lot of time with the concerns of the search party that forms and why it seems to be failing. Smartly it avoids the little boy since the kid they got is pretty weak a little actor. But what the hell is he gonna do? He's 4!! But it works pretty good. I do think the film's running time could've been reduced from 90 minutes to an hour or less by removing a little of the monotonus shots of people "searching"...it's like that "Bobbeeeee...Cindeeeee?!!!" Brady Bunch episode. [i]Mike! Carol! Just find those damn kids and shut up!!! [/i] For this film based on a real event, maybe more personal stuff about the people effected would've been more rewarding and effective emotionally me thinks? Still, nothing terrible here. The ending is emotional and maybe even tear inducing. This is also safe for smaller children and could teach them what to do if they get lost. Follow the fence?!!! Well, maybe...but allowing themselve to BE found would be a good lesson here. One thing about it though...the music and b&w still picture of the "lost boy" in question scared the shiiit out of me. Was that the purpose? It was like something out of Tobie Hooper's TCM!! I got chills. 7/10 :fresh:

• May 18, 2012

Not at all bad for a low budget 1950's sci-fi film. The plot is interesting, and considering the budget the special effects are quite good. The acting is fine and it held my interest.

• May 18, 2012

This feature is your classic 'tunnel to the centre of the earth' scenario but on this occasion they are doing it in search of another place for people to live after they have come to the conclusion that soon the earth will not be habitable after the event of a nuclear war. A bog standard drilling machine that also houses the crew is constructed and after some external funding our hero's get on their way. Throughout the film I felt as if it was almost a science lesson to the viewer, the way the characters explain why stalactites and caverns are formed when everyone in the group knows how they are formed because they are all seasoned scientists or at least harbour a few brain cells. The world they are exploring is not your typical centre of the earth filled with dense jungles and dinosaurs but rather just normal caverns and miles of stalactites so to stop us getting bored we see two of the main characters kicking of every five minutes with our busty companion getting in the mix to sort it out. At one point some silly sausage leaves the ships only water exposed to some dangerous gasses and spoils it all but for some reason to the woman of the group this is the least of her worries as you can blatantly see in her chops when she discovers Rabbits can't breed in this underground world. I thought rabbits lived and bonked underground myself, I think this happened because of the vibrations from the drilling machine digging a good 1600 miles underground through solid rock that seen all the test rabbits babies of but that's just me. It may seem pretty ridiculous in places but I'm sure this film had allot to say back in 1950, being only 5 years since Hiroshima people would have been predicting similar things about the end of the world and the ideas in such films might have frightened people more than any horror film at the time.

• May 18, 2012

Unknwon World (aka "To the Center of the Earth") Starring: Victor Kilian, Bruce Kellogg, Marilyn Nash, and Otto Waldis Director: Terry O. Morse A group of obnoxious scientiest and their boorish, wealthy patron hop in their nifty drilling amphibeous underearth ATV to explore deep underground, hoping to find a place where humankind can retreat to in case of a nuclear disaster. Never has so little happened during a "let's go looking for the underground world"-type movie. I think I can safely say that, despite the high bodycount among expedition members, the enterprise undertaken by the characters in "Unknown World" is the least eventful, most uninteresting, and ultimately pointles journey to "inner-earth" that any fictional characters have ever undertaken. There's no much here, exept a slighly more scientific take on what explorers might find deep underground--as in, no monsters, no nubile, scantily clad queens of Atlantis, no nothing. And, frankly, if you're going to make a movie about guys drilling their way to the center of the Earth, you better damn well give me some monsters and nubile barbarian queens at the far end! ("The Core" would have been better if there had been babes in loinclothes and little else at the end of that trip, too.)

• Oct 12, 2010

cold war era sci-fi...oh yeah

cold war era sci-fi...oh yeah

• Oct 12, 2010

Add a rjust okeview (optional)...

Add a rjust okeview (optional)...

• Dec 21, 2009

This is like a cross between Journey To The Centre of the Earth and the Fantastic Voyage. A pending atomic crisis forces scientists underground to search for a new home for humanity.