An Unreasonable Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An Unreasonable Man Reviews

½ January 19, 2016
You want real democracy? Than learn from this man. You tired of a two-party dictatorship? Listen to this man. You want choices, you want to have more than tweedle dee & tweedle dumb to pick from? Listen to this man. You tired of settling for the lesser of two evils? Listen to this man. Ralph Nader epitomizes what real, authentic American democracy and freedom is supposed to be. He breathes it and walks it, instead of spouting rhetoric about it whilst at the same time selling it out to corporate control of our nation. If you live on the coast like me, and you don't want to drown in 50 years, listen to this man. You don't want useless, preemptive, unending wars? Listen to this man. I could go on forever, but I will stop. In 1996 I saw Ralph speak in Bangor, Maine and my life was changed. You watch this documentary and the same will happen to you. Amazing.
July 5, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
February 26, 2014
While it was interesting enough, the length seems to lend to the obvious slide from a review of the subterranean political and industrial workings to a glorified, one-sided praise of one man. It would have been greatly improved with the inclusion of opposition interviews, or at least some data on the questionable or even anything-but-saintly of a political attempt.
½ January 22, 2013
An interesting enough view into this man's live and practices, but not interesting enough to vault it to "great doc" status.
September 19, 2012
I never really knew a whole lot about Nader, except for the Corvair stuff, so this documentary was a real eye opener. I also appreciated how it revealed the challenges a third party candidate faces against the corporate parties. A lot of food for thought!
June 10, 2012
May change mind later; however, I am so ready to see comedy vs some historical related movies.
May 27, 2012
this guy rocks!!! he should be a president.
½ May 15, 2012
really, eye opening. well rounded view of an interesting guy.
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting.
½ April 5, 2012
An unabashed, uncut film that presents both sides of the argument for and against the controversial political figure known as Ralph Nader, a man who has championed causes for the greater well-being of man. Eye-opening stuff !
½ April 4, 2012
This documentary on Ralph Nader is rich and enlightening. A fair portrait of a true American hero to some and the spoiler for the Democrats in the 2000 and 2004 elections for others. This film illuminates his devotion to his causes: consumer protection, fairness and equality, and corporate reform. Even if you disagree with his beliefs, after watching this documentary any rational person would at least respect his courage to take on corporations in order to create safety standards for automobiles (he was the pioneer who made seat belts and then airbags standard safety features) and stand for his values in the face of certain defeat in order to create a better America for tomorrow.
½ April 1, 2012
A very unbiased documentary about one of the most inspiring and disdained individuals in politics.
February 17, 2012
When I was 18 and still overwhelmingly naive to the complexities of life as I now know it, Ralph Nader was just a funny-looking guy who was helping George Bush get a spot in the White House. Cue the back-stabbing from his once vaunted supporters and the accusations that Nader fucked up the country. Hindsight 20/20...Ralph Nader was a legitimate candidate who got screwed.
January 27, 2012
Ralph Nader is fascinating and this documentary follows his poltical career which essentially started when he took on the auto industry regarding their safety regulations. The film follows Nader until the end of his 2004 presidential campaign. The documentary itself drags, very little of his personal life is explored, and I think the documentary could have done a bit better job in exploring his reasons for running to be president - by this I mean I think Nader had a personal bone to pick with the Democrats and by running for president he was sabatoging their efforts for the presidency. Fascinating man, he's relentless when it comes to his ideals which is probably what made him both a success and a failure - sorry to say but sometimes you gotta compromise.
hunterjt13
November 27, 2011
This documentary tells the story of Ralph Nader's life in the run up to the 2000 Presidential election.
This film is bookended by liberals, who are incensed at Nader, talking about how he ruined the country and tarnished his legacy. Then, the film details his legacy in length, highlighting Unsafe at any Speed and the several other initiatives Nader championed as a consumer advocate. But it eventually returns to a debate about Nader's decision to run in Florida, contrasting liberals' objections with Nader's defenses.
I found myself liking Nader by the end of the film and dismissing his detractors. Nader's tenacity and moral commitment are things I admire, and the film does too.
Overall, I think An Unreasonable Man is worth watching because there are reasons to respect this man no matter what his influence on American politics has been.
½ November 25, 2011
great insight into a man i knew little about, but had thought negatively of due to previous media report. media, bad. ralph nader for prez!
½ November 1, 2011
October 31, 2011
This is an excellent documentary about Ralph Nader. It comprehensively and vividly covers Nader's illustrious career as a prodigious consumer advocate starting in the 1960s, through his controversial presidential runs in 2000 and 2004. In regards to the controversy over his alleged role as a spoiler in 2000, the movie covers it in great detail, and much to its credit it allows a sort of "debate" to go back and forth where critics of Nader such as Eric Alterman are able to make their case, and then defenders of Nader such as Theresa Amato and Nader himself are able to immediately respond to those criticisms, and we get a running conversation between both sides. This is a great way to present the debate over that aspect of Nader's presidential campaign.

Notably, the special features are about as good as the movie itself, especially "A Debate on Corporate Power in America", where we get the same kind of running debate (albeit a rather one-sided one), this time between The Heritage Foundation's David Mitchell and a slew of liberals including Nader over the role of corporations in U.S. politics. There are also great special features that discuss Nader's positions as a presidential candidate, the role of third parties in U.S. politics, the rightward drift of the Democratic Party and organizing on the Right vs. that on the Left (featuring some insightful commentary from none other than Grover Norquist).
October 31, 2011

½ October 12, 2011
Required viewing for all civic minded citizens of the United States.