Unsavory Characters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unsavory Characters Reviews

March 6, 2004
I recently bought unsavory characters on DVD after anticipating it sice it was made. I am a fan of the underrated Richard W. Haines, and this film definetely is the one that will earn him wider respect with his stunning use of camera processes and direction. The film is made like a 50s noir film, looking exactly like it came from that era. The dialogue is has a great uncanny feel, using 50s style dialogue. The film is about a novelist who is working on a new novel which he is trying to think of an ending for. The film moves between black and white fantasy sequence depeciting the author's book as if he and the people around him are all characters from his story. For the most part the film is in colour and set in the 90s, but still has a yesteryear feel. Haines does well at creating this dark world for his characters, and the casting was amazing. The actors did a great job, to make the transition from two time eras in the film, changing their whole attitude and style of dialogue. I loved this film and I can definetely say I have and probably never will see anything like this. Incredible and stunning camerawork, a must see!