Unstoppable - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unstoppable Reviews

April 11, 2015
Good movie. It has some cliché but still really good
½ March 31, 2015
Fast paced, and with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine nailing their parts, what started as a true story has now become a first-rate action thriller!
March 21, 2015
Good old fashion fun.
March 19, 2015
Another runaway train movie.... Yawn
March 12, 2015
I was truly enthralled by this movie! The story development kept me glued to see the outcome. Very entertaining!
March 4, 2015
Excelente cinta de acción basada en un hecho real. El mensaje es muy bueno e inspirador. Es interesante cómo el pasado influye mucho para contar esta trama. Me agrada cuando toman un hecho real y lo transforman en una novela o bien en una película que te dejará satisfecho hasta el final. Muy recomendable para ver en un fin de semana y la estuve esperando mucho tiempo para verla.
February 22, 2015
Tony Scott's best (and sadly his last) is the heroic tale of the runaway train and the main leads' acts.
½ February 16, 2015
Tony Scott brings a true event to the big screen in the most tense and dramatic way possible. Unstoppable presents the typical-Scott-crazed direction along with a nerve-racking plot that gets you from start to finish, and not to mention Denzel and Chris' stellar duo. 4.5/5
February 10, 2015
Simple story, perfectly executed by director and actors.
½ January 31, 2015
Inspired from a true story. Maybe some day I'll check out some real footage of the events. As someone said, not a great movie, but watchable for what it is.
½ January 29, 2015
Chris Pine and Denzel Washington make a good pairing but the the film itself is a little too straightforward. Full review later.
½ January 18, 2015
Being based on a true story, the action movie is thrilling and entertaining. Images of running trains and flying helicopters are powerful and vivid by skillful camera works and visual effects. This is the best train movie I have ever watched. It must be noted that they can make a thrilling movie like this by dealing with a train. Denzel's performance is stable and comfortable. Chris and Rosaria are making a good job.
½ January 14, 2015
Really taut, well-done action. The acting was quality too, and really gives one the sense of ordinary people doing heroic things.
January 2, 2015
"Unstoppable" is an exciting and thrilling action film where the action sequences are fast-paced and sharply directed and the interplay between Denzel Washington and Chris Pine demonstrates a convincing connection.
January 1, 2015
Yep, you got to love Denzel.
½ December 14, 2014
Great action Denzel does it again
November 27, 2014
Implausible plot, stupid characters being stupid, and annoying cinematography (the jump cuts! Dammit!) make this sort-of action/thriller a bore. And it was way too movie-y. Our main character was a train, and we have no connection to the secondary characters on any deep level. Fast, loud, and not very exciting...like a train!
½ November 23, 2014
Good movie, it was enjoyed! Lots of suspense.
½ November 23, 2014
Well those Scott brothers sure know how to make rip roaring films don't they. I went into this with lots of mixed feelings, its about a runaway train...hardly the stuff of great films is it and I've seen a few similar average films in the past, hell the title is even a bit lame really isn't it. I couldn't really think how Mr Scott could make this bluecollar job look cool but by jove he did.

Lets see now...he's made the Underground/Subway look cool, working on board a submarine look cool (although it is kinda cool really isn't it but I bet you never thought about it before his movie). Stock car driving now looks cool and making all fighter pilots look like young handsome brooding studs. Well now its the turn of the humble loco driver to be uber cool.

From the outset the way the loco gets loose and goes on the run is laughable to be honest. I dunno if this happens in the US a lot (scary if it does, this is based on a real event!!) but the way everyone seems to think its funny and not a problem that a loco is unmanned and running away is frankly bizarre. I imagine the practice of getting out of your cab to swing points whilst the train is still moving has been stopped.

As the story develops we do get the typical Scott direction of trying to make us think that working in a loco yard (train driver/shunter) is cool. Its filmed with dramatic angles, sexy lighting, quickfire editing and plenty of in-house railway jargon that some won't follow but it sounds good. Somehow all the grunting cocky cowboy-like drivers, a sexy controller and the fast talking hip engineers doesn't really match reality, you can see Scott is eager to sex-up this field of work in his usual style. There should have been more shades worn in this.

Little silly niggles aside the film is a spectacular affair with sweaty tense action and thundering collisions that look really expensive and make you wince. They seemed to be using real loco's here as I saw no CGI used anywhere, all very impressive stunts. Location work is beautiful too I might add, rural US of A with the lovely foliage of Virginia.

Scott knows how to make a gritty fast film and this delivers on every level I assure you. Despite the rather dated plot concept and very obvious conclusion the film is terrific fun and will have you biting your nails to the last second...despite knowing damn well they will succeed. His usual choice of actor Washington is on board and he adds that perfect rundown regular Joe quality to the film with his usual stoic performance. Pine is also fine but can't quite match Washington for realism in the job, plus he looks too heroic really, way too buff for this.

Only problem is, the way they manage to actually stop the loco, they could of done that at any point at anytime as far as I can tell. The whole time your thinking why not just do that? All you need is a fast car...then they do it at the end and I was like...duh!

Even though the movie is based on a real event its easy to forget and it does come across like a full blown action thriller. The movie is promoted as such and it does deliver on all accounts...even though you know what's gonna happen. Throw a few terrorists into the fray and you would have had 'Die Hard' on a locomotive. All aboard for a chuffing good ride (pun fully intended).