Unstrung Heroes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unstrung Heroes Reviews

August 7, 2014
(First and only viewing - 3/1/2010)
January 20, 2014
Unstrung Heroes is an excellent film. It is about Steven Lidz, unhappy with his home life since his mother got sick, goes and lives with his two crazy Uncles. Andie McDowell, Nathan Watt and John Turturro give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Diane Keaton did a great job directing this movie and it is her directorial debut. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and drama.
July 12, 2013
Wonderfully sad and funny film by the renowned Diane Keaton about familial love, memories and grief, with two wildly eccentric uncles thrown in. Heartwarming and touching--a great watch.
May 22, 2013
Quietly moving story of a boy dealing with loss that just isn't quite running on all cylinders.
March 28, 2013
I watch this movie long time ago, just came across this DVD, very nice.
December 13, 2012
Keaton's directorial debut is not bad but not great. I think she suffers from the same problem as Tom Hanks..the need to show something to be loved rather than something edgy. The result is passable stuff but not memorable stuff.
½ December 11, 2012
There was something simple about this movie that bothered me, perhaps it was the "unstrung" people that this family was surrounded with? Perhaps it was the way the parents raised their children in an unusual way where for that time period it seemed odd that they did not discipline their children and seemed to give them huge freedoms? I think that was what really got me, but despite this I still enjoyed watching the eccentricities of the uncles and their impact on Franz and how he accepted them as a way for him to cope with loss.
April 16, 2012
I didn't like this movie at first. It made me uncomfortable, in part because I expected something more along the lines of two of my favorite nineties films, "Wide Awake" and "Little Man Tate." Steven/Franz's father was a total jerk, to me, and the mental illness of the uncles didn't seem like it was actually going to be TREATED like illness. I felt very uncomfortable for Franz Lidz, feeling sorry that he had grown up in such an environment. The first half of this movie fooled me, however. Not everything in it was what it seemed. As it got closer and closer to the end, a rich mix of emotion bubbled up through the surface without becoming sticky, sickly, or melodramatic, and the conclusion made me tear up. I began to care about these characters like they were a quirky extension of my own family. The main idea I took from the whole thing is that Franz was a smart kid who could handle the less-than-pleasant side of the world, and seeing as how he wrote the memoir that inspired this nice little movie, it sure seems like he did. It's a shame that this movie is doomed to relative obscurity. It's definitely the kind of quirky-yet-grounded movie that doesn't get made anymore... at least, not this way.
½ March 24, 2012
Very sad but entertaining. I liked this film but I felt that some parts were unnecessary
Acting:A+
Plot:C+
Entertainment value:A-
November 26, 2011
I laughed, I cried, what more can you ask from one movie.
June 8, 2011
"Les liens du souvenir"
½ January 25, 2011
I've always felt like this movie just never clicks. There's the wacky slapstick comedy side with the uncles, and the horribly depressing "mom's dying" story.

It moves between big broad laughs (like Looney Tunes style comic set pieces), and then extremely sad moments, but finds a hard time showing life in between. What's left is a movie of extremes that left me feeling a little whiplashed.
December 25, 2010
Thought it was great-wish I had those uncles.
December 6, 2010
A sweet film by Diane Keaton.
November 20, 2010
a gem of a film. celebration of whimsy, and other 'inside' matters. not for the too adult- or action film lovers. very touching,and redeeming. cinema paradiso ,anyone?
October 19, 2010
Touching story. The weirdo uncles were great. Kudos Mrs.? Keaton.
½ March 17, 2010
A fantastic movie that a lot of people don't even know about. Great cast with solid performances.
½ November 22, 2009
(from The Watermark 09/30/95)
UNSTRUNG HEROES a/k/a: The first directorial outing of Diane Keaton:
MacDowell plays a mother who is stricken ill, and her son decides to go and live with his two strange uncles (Richards and Maury Chaykin) while she convalesces. In the process, the child finds his individuality in spite of his buffoonish father (Turturro). Keaton finds many beautifully touching moments in the sweet story - but to be honest, I fell asleep. It wasn?t solely the movie?s fault, I was tired. So sue me. Funny thing though - I don?t really think I missed anything. What I saw seemed to have a complete story and seemed to be thematically sound. I?m not sure if the director?s cut is as good, but I liked what I saw.
Queer Quotient: No ?family? to be found anywhere. After all, it?s a nostalgic look back to the 1950?s - you know, when there were no gay people.
½ June 13, 2009
Sweet sentimental though amusing story that centers around a young boy who's mother is dying of cancer. He turns to his eccentric uncles to find solice and strength. The roles of his parents are played nicely by John Turturro and Andie MacDowell as directed by Diane Keaton.
June 2, 2009
Def. a tear jerker. I was about 13 when I saw this, and I only saw the last 45 minutes of it. It was one of those summertime movies that local channels put on since all the daytime shows wrap until fall. i LOVE this movie.