Until the End of the World (Bis ans Ende der Welt) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Until the End of the World (Bis ans Ende der Welt) Reviews

October 14, 2017
This could be the best film ever. It's a pleasure to watch the beautiful Solveig Dommartin, and the soundtrack is an audial time capsule of quality early 90's music. The production in different parts of the world obviously required tremendous dedication. But the result is badly drawn out, even for an art house, and slow. Just like intelligent people tend to be boring, so do intelligent movies. Such a shame.
½ July 29, 2017
Could have been much better, regardless it was interesting.
½ March 16, 2017
uma obra prima de Wim Wenders
April 1, 2016
Until the end of the World - remek delo na Wenders
½ March 23, 2016
Not his best film, I think it could be only one film instead this trilogy. For moments the plot is confuse.
½ October 18, 2015
*** 1\2 "The end of the world won't come from a nuclear blast ,but from a abundance of selfies" 1991 #future_prediction #disease_of_images
½ August 3, 2015
The 280 minute director's cut drastically improves Wim Wenders' 1991 film that was seen in a brutally cut version upon release. Having loved Wings of Desire (his previous fiction film) at the time, it was a great disappointment to experience the incoherent release (but not quite as disappointing as the sequel to Wings of Desire and many of Wenders' subsequent films - he took a steep dive and only recovered with Buena Vista Social Club and other documentaries). So, my "experiment" in viewing this long version was to see whether Wenders had truly lost his touch or whether there was a masterpiece here lost in the editing room. The answer is somewhere in the middle. There are so many luminescent moments in the film, thanks to Robby Muller's incredible cinematography and the colourful art direction that sees blobs and splashes everywhere. But Wenders allows himself to be indulgent to the extreme in creating the ultimate "road movie" (since that once was his central theme). Yes, 15 countries on 4 continents are visited, his favorite musicians of the time are soundchecked, and many movies are referenced and classic actors associated with great films (Moreau, von Sydow, Chisru Ryu, Gulpilil) make an appearance. But the sci-fi plot that sees William Hurt capturing video from a "stolen" camera to make his blind mother see, chased by Solveig Dommartin chased by Sam Neill and Rudiger Vogler is still unwieldy. Yet, the extended length does allow the plot to breathe and the final 90 minutes in Australia wed an almost experimental vision (of the images in our dreams as transposed to fuzzy colors) to the proceedings. It's all still a bit of a mess (with the end of the world threat paling in comparison to today's real environmental threats) but I'm glad I took the journey.
April 6, 2015
Uma garota esvoaçada se apaixona por um sujeito misterioso que trabalha para fazer funcionar uma máquina que permite cegos enxergarem. Várias tecnologias que se tornaram comuns foram exploradas nesse filme: smartphones, videoconferência, rastreadores baseados em cartão de crédito. Só ainda está faltando a interface cerebral.
½ December 4, 2014
A truly forgettable film. Wim, you've done way better than this....
½ July 6, 2014
Lots of great ideas and a fantastic use of music. Sadly, I was bored after the first hour and none of the ideas ever fully manifested into anything that warranted the 4 plus hour duration.
May 4, 2014
I love this Film. It captures everything I want from a story. I'm afraid if you don't like this, I can't be your friend!
June 20, 2013
Astonishing how prophetic this film has become. Our modern obsession of today with self-absorbed social media, which isolates us from genuine, intimate interaction comes shining through in the latter stages of Wender's film.
Although realized over 20 years ago, it senses the future accurately: We now live in a narsicistic world in which even the poorest Americans - who cannot afford a cars - simply can't survive without iPad and Facebook alter-egos.
½ April 3, 2013
Prescient, visionary (no pun intended), futuristic, exquisitely directed, acted and scored; currently unavailable, unless you still have a VHS copy hanging about your shelf like me.
January 14, 2013
A fine film! Rouler sa bosse!!
December 30, 2012
It could appear a little slow and pretentious at first. However the end is really a masterpiece, plus a fabulous soundtrack. What if could you watch your own dreams?
November 11, 2012
The most ambitious Wim Wenders film. An odyssey shot on four continents, and a litany of international cities, the story follows a scientist played by William Hurt who is followed by a beautiful mystery woman, played by Solveig Dommartin, (who was also in Wings of Desire). They travel the globe as they race against time and try to out run bounty hunters, government agents and the bomb. A gorgeous cinematic masterpiece with an incredible sound track that includes U2, Talking Heads, Lou Reed, T-Bone Burnett, Peter Gabriel, Can, Elvis Costello, Patti Smith, R.E.M., Depeche Mode, andNick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
October 26, 2012
epically epic, all 270 minutes of it ... one of the better soundtracks from the early nineties (u2, nick seed, nena cherry and others )
½ October 3, 2012
I first learned of this film after stumbling across its soundtrack. Upon learning that it's a piece of science fiction, I decided to give the film a try.

Bad news first: the film is long. It runs for a good two-and-a-half hours, but incredibly, it's only the short version; the rough cut was originally eight hours long, and the director's preferred version is 280 minutes. Even at 150 minutes, this film feels long and it drags at times.

That doesn't mean it's a total bore. The film is pretty evenly split in half (for the theatrical cut anyway; the director's cut is supposedly arranged as a three-part trilogy). The first half is easily the most interesting and thrilling, as it follows this woman all across Europe and Asia and everywhere else, investigating some shady people and mysterious devices and roaming around some strange post-modern futuristic settings. It comes off much like a sci-fi film noir, somewhat akin to Brazil, but nowhere near as goofy. In the film's last half, with a great catastrophe befalling the Earth, the characters wind up holing themselves up somewhere in Australia, where they bum around for the remainder of the picture. I found this part far less interesting, but it offers a few interesting ideas (including one key aspect that echoes Inception a lot). Altogether, I'd say that it's an interesting film with lots of interesting ideas and plot points, but it achieves the type of pacing that straddles the threshold of being fascinating and unfascinating.

If anything in the above paragraph indicates anything, it's that the story itself is pretty sound and full of neat ideas. It's populated by interesting characters. I really don't have many complaints about the story, other than it felt like it trailed off in the end.

This film looks neat, with quality photography and editing. Acting is swell: I did get a kick out of watching William Hurt, Sam Niell, and Solveig Dommartin in their roles (and Max Von Sydow makes an appearance toward the end). Writing is alright. This production does its best to use then-modern sets, props, and costumes for a futuristic look, but with mixed results. Frankly, parts of the film look cheap and cheesy, in a manner no different than Paul Verhoeven's films. Still, it gets the job done. Music is pretty cool.

It's an interesting film and I'm glad I saw it. It is a shame that this film was a commercial and critical failure on its release, because it's not that bad at all.

3.5/5 (Entertainment: Pretty Good | Story: Pretty Good | Film: Pretty Good)

3.5/5 (Entertainment: Pretty Good | Story: Pretty Good | Film: Pretty Good)
September 13, 2012
Although it slightly drags a bit in the third act, (i was watching the 4 1/2 hr version) this is a grandiose road trip movie, soundtracked by the best music and great imagery.
September 2, 2012
Normally I prefer a 'director's cut' of a film but this time I'll take the edited down version gladly. Four and a half hours is just too damn long for a road trip drama even if some of the ideas in it are akin to great films like Brainstorm. So 4 stars for the two and a half hour version and barely 3 for the 'test of endurance' version.