(Untitled) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

(Untitled) Reviews

½ May 7, 2015
Quite eccentric. Quiet. Subtle. Just like its own storyline...
July 22, 2014
this film posed some very interesting questions about the nature of art and was thoroughly amusing. i had seen it a few years ago and hated it, but watching it again, had more appreciation for its subtleties. definitely not a film for the masses but if you're a pretentious hipster with the ability to laugh at yourself, you'll like it.
June 26, 2014
Probably the worse movie I've ever seen!!
December 21, 2013
Skewering satire of the New York art scene. Great fun.
July 9, 2013
It does a good job of making fun of what passes for art but then makes you look at it long enough to appreciate it.
February 20, 2013
far from perfection yet very original
February 5, 2013
This looks really funny! Def want to see!!!!
January 3, 2013
Having studied at an experimental art school, I found this film to be pretty amusing.
½ September 21, 2012
If you've ever been annoyed by an art-snob, this will make you laugh. I'm not sure if art-snobs will get the laughing with or AT you vibe..
September 20, 2012
I tried to watch this and it made no sense. Pass.
September 1, 2012
As a composer of "experimental" music earlier in my life, I could relate to just about every aspect of the Adam Goldberg character's life (except for the sexual relationship with a beautiful art gallery owner). The sparse crowds, resentful performers and moneyed "fauxhemians" in particular resonated with me. I also enjoyed other quirky touches, especially the unnamed bass clarinetist, simply called "The Clarinet." My own studies in composition came to an abrupt end when my work turned toward lampooning "experimental" music, something that the composition department at my school didn't look upon kindly.
½ August 6, 2012
Clever satiric criticism on today'd modern art.
August 4, 2012
It was supposed to be a clever and satirical piece on the phoniness and pretentiousness of the contemporary art scene, but it turned out to be a joke that was past its expiration date after 30 minutes. It falls into the traps of the milieu it tries to criticize.
July 15, 2012
As aggressively arty as its title, "(Untitled)" is ostensibly about a romance between an avant-garde musician (Adam Goldberg, sporting his usual neanderthal scowl) and a trendy gallery owner (delicious Marley Shelton), but the script has more provocative questions in mind about art itself. Does it require technical skill? Can it be created or collected for profit? What ingredients are off-limits? Can music have no tempo or key? Can everyday objects make music? Aesthetic issues like this rarely come up in a romantic comedy, and the far-out musical pieces (mostly conceived by composer David Lang) are alternately fun and exasperating to behold.

The film takes an interesting turn as it goes, initially presenting experimental works as something arcane and impressive (too much for the common man -- hmpf!) but gradually becoming more critical to imply a hollow charade between artist and patron. Zak Orth adds some sharp scenes as a flaky, nouveau-riche collector who buys art to make himself feel important, and Vinnie Jones plays a British conceptual artist who may be a cruel parody of Damien Hirst. Ptolemy Slocum is quite funny as a listless "visionary" who sticks Post-It notes on walls and calls them conceptual art, while Eion Bailey (currently seen on TV's "Once Upon a Time") is Goldberg's deluded painter brother, churning out interchangeable product that reaps unholy riches as doctor's-office fodder. The script is rather heavy-handed in making its points, but the setting is unusual enough to be oddly refreshing.
April 12, 2012
If you're neither musician, art maker, nor a lover of the latter, you won't get this film. HOWEVER, if the names John Cage and Robert Rauschenberg ring a bell, then you might just love it. I definitely did.
½ March 5, 2012
Has the punctuation and the thinness of a gallery wall label,I was not impressed SKIP IT!!!
January 19, 2012
I loved this very funny movie. it expertly plays both sides when it comes to revering and mocking the art world and its pretensions/aspirations. Best indie movie I've seen in many a moon.
½ January 1, 2012
Should have been way shorter and not a good film by far. But, I did enjoy it more than I thought I would and it is going to keep me thinking for a while
October 23, 2011
This didn't interest me. Too dull.
October 23, 2011
interesting view into the world of art. however folks could view the movie as less of a satire if they see it as one art critic's fallen path in an otherwise non-hypocrital world.