Unveiled Reviews

• Sep 26, 2014

I thought this was a good film. It appeared realistic, revealing a side of society that we do not get to see. I did not agree with David Ng's review in the Village Voice that began by referring to the heroine as "gender confused". I did not see that at all and thought she was very clear about her gender identity. She never "reinvented herself" as some critics have concluded. Her new identity was forced on her from without. I don't see this woman as confused in any way.

• Feb 08, 2013

Very good film... Americans don't realize how good they have it here... what someone will sacrifice in other parts of the world, for our "natural" rights in the U.S.A.

• Mar 09, 2012

unveiled ended before it peaked, or perhaps thats just me wishing for a fairytale ending for 'em. absorbing watch though, one of the more decent ones around.

• Apr 06, 2011

A powerful story of self-preservation, determination, and caring.

A powerful story of self-preservation, determination, and caring.

• Jan 26, 2011

This film is refreshing in the way it's something so different from the usual lesbian romances. A plot that begins with an Iranian woman disguising herself as a man in order to avoid persecution is already heavier than the usual light-hearted fare. The protagonist really can pass for a man with the right hair and make-up, but what's even more important is that the relationship between Fariba and Anne is believable. It doesn't come out of nowhere, but rather, the feelings between them develop slowly, which makes sense considering both women have their reasons for not wanting to become attached. It's the rest of the story that might require some suspension of disbelief. The beginning in particular is rather far-fetched, and I didn't buy the ending, but in between there's still a compelling drama here that shouldn't be ignored.

• Dec 13, 2010

The film's blatant theft of many of Boys Don't Cry's central dramatic sequences is pretty annoying. that said, i enjoyed how the film tackled the worthy subjects of immigration and lgbt refugees, and jasmin tabatabai's soulful, genuine, and technically flawless performance is moving.

• Aug 18, 2010

Excellent performance from Jasmin Tabatabai. A compelling drama that subtly yet outspokenly condemns radically conservative views against Muslim gays and against gays in general.

• Jun 19, 2010

Absolutely love this movie! Addresses so many powerful issues in gender and equality but does not isolate it self to just be enjoyed by a queer following.

• Oct 24, 2009

Excellent movie. Built the tension from the very start and kept me interested and guessing to the very end. An end that didn't take the easy way out either. I suppose it's ultimately a sad story but it also contains a wonderful message about a persons ability to adapt and survive.

• Sep 14, 2009

A film that makes you think twice with twelve fold the intensity... What would you do if your life was threatened like this. If you had to pick sides and there was no going back... and either way, you'd end up broken. Or worse, dead...