Up in Smoke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up in Smoke Reviews

October 19, 2016
I've watched this a million times and I could watch it million more times. Dunno why the rating is so less
½ October 18, 2016
I love the review of this in Danny Peary's book Cult Movies because he was so turned off by the idea of humour about drugs and pooping and sex, and then he just keeps saying *somehow* it's funny. He comes around to calling them "mild, laid-back fellows" and "harmless affronts to society."
September 23, 2016
I was 16 when I first watched this movie.. I'm now 36 and it still makes me laugh.. Love It!!
½ September 11, 2016
You get high when u watch it !! epic classic stoner movie
September 5, 2016
A movie so stupid that you would have to be stoned to enjoy it. Terrible in just about every way. (First and only viewing - 9/4/2016)
½ July 24, 2016
The filmmaking is nothing but amateur but the stars of the film C&C make this stoner comedy classic a feast for the stoners. The movie generally lacks any sense of purpose or direction but within the first 10mins it's quite clear that the film is a series of gags and as a result there is a clear love/hate line created.
To put it one way, if you love looney toons there's a good chance you'll enjoy this one too.
June 29, 2016
The Critics are retarded to vote rotten for this film. this movie is amazing.
June 29, 2016
I'm being a little more generous with this movie than it probably deserves, since objectively speaking it really isn't that good. It's pretty stupid, lazily written, lazily shot, lazily directed, and it kind of feels like their making it up as they go along with no real arc. The movie doesn't even really end, it sort of just stops. Having said that, it did make me laugh. It wasn't consistent laughter, but I'd say every 5 minutes or so I got one pretty big laugh. Even when I wasn't laughing, I wasn't exactly bored. Initially I was kind of irritated by Cheech and Chong's antics and there dramatic overuse of the word "man," but pretty quickly they managed to win me over with their charm. Not a great movie, but for a 70s stoner road trip flick, it's about as good as you could expect.
June 22, 2016
Holds up pretty well after all these years. Some scenes are still hilarious and some are still annoyingly stupid but for what it is it's one of the greats.
½ April 23, 2016
The daddy of all stoner movies, a must see no doubt about it.
½ February 7, 2016
had some funny moments but it had some moments i thought that were kind of boring. I prefer Harold and Kumar more
½ February 6, 2016
I was a big Cheech & Chong fan as a kid, so revisiting this film brought back good memories and made me laugh. It's not a great film, but is amusing enough if you like the duo. I had a couple of their comedy albums so recognize certain things from them. It was also fun seeing a much younger Tom Skerrit. This one is for fans only!
½ January 25, 2016
Pretty darn funny, mix this humor with Car Wash and you probably have Friday.
½ January 25, 2016
It the seminal "stoner comedy", but I found it not incredibly funny throughout: it has it's moments sprinkled throughout, but the premise is just a total farce, and I never believed one second any of this was real (if that matters, lol). That ending scene, with Cheech in a tutu, however, just might have been the film's saving grace, because it was awesome.
½ September 18, 2015
If Low Rider didn't play sometime in this movie, I would have been disappointed. The following is a cult fan favourite, one of the influential movies that would pave the way for Dumb and Dumber and Harold & Kumar. Its got some chuckles here and there, and for a viewer that doesn't smoke weed, that's an impressive thing.
August 18, 2015
It's harmless, but it did nothing for me.
July 28, 2015
This is without a doubt one of the funniest movies I have ever seen! It's right up there with "The Hangover," "Ghostbusters," and "Tropic Thunder."
July 16, 2015
How's my drivin mannn, I think we are parked man
½ May 30, 2015
Take away the countless stoner jokes and to be honest you don't have much of a film. There are few scenes that where quite funny but overall it lacked a lot.

A ridiculous plot about Cheech & Chong unknowingly driving a van completely made of pot from the U.S. To Mexico.

It had no real plot & just got lifeless really quickly probably more impacting in its era. I wasn't blown away ...pun intended.
May 24, 2015
Whereas Apatow's stoner comedies seem have some sort intelligence to their stupidity, Cheech and Chong don't. This is just two guys getting high and filming themselves.