Up in Smoke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up in Smoke Reviews

May 1, 2015
Cheech and Chong are likeable, Tom Skerritt makes a nice appearance and a van made of weed is an interesting concept. But most of the jokes aren't funny. Plus the main characters, and/or their relationship to each other, isn't developed in any meaningful/interesting way.
½ April 25, 2015
Literally Dumb & Dumber of the late 1970's. With knee slappingly hilarious comedic dialogue and Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong are the perfect stoner slackers.
½ April 21, 2015
It's a way better movie than I remember. A lot of the jokes in 'Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke' work despite the whole "man" exchange between the two lead characters.
½ April 19, 2015
Cheech and Chong's contagiously dopey personalities turn an amateur script into the funniest stoner movie I've ever seen.
April 14, 2015
For a film seen as a touchstone for stoner culture, Up In Smoke is a tepid affair with stale humour that doesn't get any better with being under the influence.
April 8, 2015
I'd always avoided this film as, in general, drug comedies have never amused me as much as they amuse those who dabble. It's a shame though because this is pretty funny and the characters, who I'd always assumed would be stupid and annoying are actually quite the opposite.
February 24, 2015
The first Cheech and Chong film debut from their comedy routine is a pretty good start in a line of movies that didn't quite succeed like this one and the follow-up in 1980 (Cheech and Chong's Next Movie). Not too slow paced until the end. Well worth checking out!
½ February 8, 2015
By far the best of the Cheech & Chong movies. Either you like or hate it - depending upon your tastes. Obviously it's goofy, silly, and very loose in its goal. However, for its genre, it is one of the best. You really, really need to be stoned or drunk or otherwise to fully appreciate this type of comedy. This will likely be my lowest-rated RT movie on my top 100 list (not sure of that though), but it is a cult-classic that is vastly underrated.

Grade = 8.5/10
½ January 29, 2015
Has a good funny moments.
December 12, 2014
Funny and creative, this movie's stoner vibe defiantly works.
½ October 15, 2014
Hippie Dropouts

This is movie is not an anti-marijuana movie. It's Cheech and Chong's first movie. It's like a Cheech and Chong comedy album but with pictures. The movie's story is about Cheech and Chong going to Mexico and driving back in a van made of marijuana. When I was a teenager I went to a 4-H roundup at Oklahoma State University. Someone had a Cheech and Chong tape and we listened to it in Willham Hall on the floor we were staying. There was a center meeting room on each floor. Someone had a tape player and was playing the tape. It was the first time I heard Cheech and Chong. This movie has the same rhythm as one of their tapes but was acted out in front of a camera. So the whole movie is Cheech and Chong doing pot humor. Mostly two guys in a car acting stoned making funny jokes. The movie makes fun of the cops and the authorities trying to bust the pot smugglers. It has an R rating because of the glorification of drug use.
September 12, 2014
A cult film that still resonates, this comedy probably started the stoner-comedy genre. Just express nothing & be pleasantly surprised.
September 7, 2014
Funny as hell!.Though some may not get it,there is true humor here!.Humor is explored through politics and history such as "Dr.Strangelove".This movie provides one of the most unique forms of humor and that "humor" is how over obsessed the authority and government is on stopping the produce of marijuana.Quite frankly there isnt a more funny comedy about marijuana than this 1970's gem of drugsploitation laughter!.
August 31, 2014
very funny stoner movie
July 28, 2014
This is the kind of movie that has no plot and still is enjoyable anyway. The chemistry between Cheech and Chong alone makes this movie hilarious and worth watching.
July 22, 2014
½ July 20, 2014
Comedy that is different then it is today but still funny as hell!
May 19, 2014
This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and certainly the best Cheech and Chong movie ever made!
May 10, 2014
the most fun to watch movie when your high
March 27, 2014
Very entertaining movie. It had some funny parts. It was the beginning of a new generation of silly movies.