Up

2 minutes 20 seconds
    Added: Apr 28, 2010
  • Up (Uk)
    1 minute
    Added: Apr 28, 2010

Critic Review - Salon.com

Its charms appear to have been applied with surgical precision; by the end, I felt expertly sutured, but not much else.

Salon.com
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

airbakin

Gabe Cheek

Fail.

May 29 - 11:20 AM

This comment has been removed.

Uzair Ahmed

Uzair Ahmed

Yet another fail.

Sep 22 - 12:42 AM

Kerry_RT

kerry touch

Congratulations on seeing past the gloss.

Lets understand this is really a senior on a cruise having to fight off all the locals. And always returning to the safety of the ship. Bad Bad locals, damn foreigners.

Congratulations on seeing the manipulations too.

May 29 - 11:33 AM

Mike B.

Mike Bragg

Manipulations? I think you're really lost in the superficial qualities of this movie. Why would it be about Seniors fighting off locals unless the intended audience was Seniors? That would imply that the story is meant as a horror story about Seniors traveling. But it is not intended solely for Seniors, nor is it a horror story. It is an adventure story about people's priorities in life, and where they lead you. I'm sure you were excited to 'see through the gloss', but you were just making yourself see things. Come back to earth now, please.

May 29 - 02:34 PM

Mike B.

Mike Bragg

Okay... I get it. Legitimate critique, Stephanie. Basically, it's not Woody Allen. While it strives to be at once an adult film and a children's film, the need to illustrate a portrait of adulthood that children can recognize and understand holds back a true adult exploration of life. Okay, so it's not a great adult movie, but I still think it's a great family movie, and none of this detracts from my enjoyment of it.

May 29 - 02:45 PM

Barry

Barry Anderson

Congratulations on proving you are a tool. Your opinion is valid, your posting is illiterate.

Dec 8 - 02:59 PM

MisterMeekmeiser

M K

Why ... why do you hate children, senior citizens, balloons and animals?

May 29 - 11:51 AM

Daniel Ceniceros-Arce

Daniel Ceniceros-Arce

because she sucks.

Sep 3 - 04:28 PM

john s.

john spiliotopoulos

God you are death to all of us.

May 29 - 12:09 PM

Austin Archibald

Austin Archibald

Give me a break. You're only giving it a rotten rating to be different and because you want attention

May 29 - 12:22 PM

Michael Scott

Michael Openheimer

TU eres una PUUUUUUUTAAAAA!!!!!!!!! Fak YOU Fauk YOU FAUK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE SOOOO predictable you stupid BYTCH!!!!

You are #2 on my most hated critics list, after Armond Neon-White

May 29 - 12:23 PM

Sparr0wni

Kristine Speroni

how can you possibly be a Top Critic? WTF is salon.com and what gives you the right to be a movie critic? Are you at the top of a tall building? Do me a favor, JUMP OFF!

May 29 - 12:34 PM

graham t.

graham thiel

You pedantic ***. It was great! UNLIKE night at the museum two, which you apparently gave a positive review to. Jeez man. What's wrong with you? I hope Salon.com has the sense to revoke your employment...whatever salon.com is....

May 29 - 03:34 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Funny, I saw it last night and it was actually one of the more organic, poignant Pixar films. The charms were precise (in a good way) but not surgical.

May 29 - 12:39 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

And in your positive review of Night At The Museum 2, you praise that it "refuses to be a stiff, lifeless relic," almost the opposite of what you say about Up. On the contrary, I think Night At The Museum was the dry, surgical film.

May 29 - 12:42 PM

Nickn328

Nick Newman

You also loved Twilight & hated The Dark Knight. Your opinion sucks sh*t.

May 29 - 01:09 PM

Chris Bauer

Chris Bauer

HAHA! This.

Apr 10 - 03:59 PM

Mister S.

Mister Short

It could be that your reaction to this movie was because you are a heartless pretentious b*tch. Not sure, but that could be it.

May 29 - 01:19 PM

First L.

First Last

"UP" left you cold, Stephanie?
Wow. I thought it was not only expertly crafted, but it was enormously heartfelt.
Did you fly to the movie theater on your broomstick?

May 29 - 01:38 PM

i_b_ray

Brian Ray

How dare you have an opinion!

May 29 - 01:50 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

I agree, Pixar sucks.

But seriously, kill yourself.

May 29 - 01:56 PM

vortex7

Trevor Tamboline

Unbelievable! I believe anyone who wasn't charmed by this movie to be soul-less. Go back to the underworld, where your idea of art and entertainment dwells.

May 29 - 01:56 PM

vortex7

Trevor Tamboline

May 29 - 01:57 PM

First L.

First Last

There are a lot of little things that people might miss out on; for example, when I was in boy scouts, they played this game on us call Snipe Hut.

I never really fell for it, but not everyone knows about it. There are a lot of parts of this movie that you have to be "in-the-know" to get.

May 29 - 01:57 PM

Liz V.

Liz Vasquez

I'm sorry, but what *are* you talking about. I wasn't in the boy scouts (I'm a girl) and I don't own dogs. I loved this movie. It's has nothing to do with romantic relationships only.

If that's what you got out of it, you missed a lot.

Any reviewer that wasn't touched by that first 15 minutes or so has to be heartless. That had me crying.

May 30 - 09:27 AM

Taylor Smith

Taylor Smith

"Sorry, ladies. Someone should have warned you that this movie is mostly for guys, women in great relationships, children, and people who own dogs. "
Best reply ever hahahahha. This is great.

Jan 9 - 01:20 PM

eerik89

eerik paal

This jerk also gave WALL-E a negative review. What an ***.

May 29 - 02:21 PM

jvcarroll

James C.

She didn't like Wall-E either. She says:

"The picture [Wall-E] feels weirdly, and disappointingly, disjointed, something that starts out as poetry and ends as product." %u2014 Salon.com Jun 27, 2008

After that review she seems to have been gunning for Up. Also, someone who would favor Twilight over Dark Knight has horrible, horrible taste. She failed to see any dramatic arc in Knight. Hmmm, but leering vamiric Mormons have oh, so much depth. She's another Traveling Pants sort of critic. She liked that garbage too.

May 29 - 02:24 PM

Movie Fail

Soren Hough

To be fair, I wasn't a fan of Wall-E, either. I actually agree totally with that quote. Same for The Dark Knight.

Having said that, Up is easily one of my favorite Pixar movies, if not my favorite.

The Twilight love, etc. is inexcusable, though. Totally get the upset there.

Nov 25 - 05:59 PM