Up Close & Personal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up Close & Personal Reviews

½ November 12, 2012
This is a pretty typical mid-90s romantic drama. The only really undeniably good thing about it is how handsome Robert Redford is. The story is a little contrived. I didn't quite feel the emotions I should have. It always seemed to be a little lacking. I am glad I watched though but do ponder why it was so popular.
October 8, 2012
Because you loved me.....
½ October 6, 2012
Was a very touching movie with one of the saddest scenes I have ever watched. I don't know why I never heard of this while it was in theaters!
½ September 26, 2012
Cute, Light and funny romance film that star's Betty Whites biggest Crush: Robert Redford... we can all understand why she fawns over the 6 foot tall golden locks and charming persona of the man also nicknamed: Redford the hottie!
August 8, 2012
i cryed like a baby....
June 20, 2012
great acting, based on a true story. celine dion song on soundrack
April 30, 2012
Don't know what is worst about this film. The hair or the soundtrack.
April 21, 2012
an okay movie, but damn it's longer than it needed to be. lost points for that.
April 9, 2012
This is one of my favorite movies.
April 8, 2012
Most boring movie I've ever seen. No kidding.
December 27, 2011
Yep, itâ(TM)s not hip and recent, and itâ(TM)s overtly romantic, but I love the scene where Michelle Pfeiffer sings âThe Impossible Dreamâ? from âMan of La Mancha.â? That, and the movie was written by Joan Didion and her late husband.
December 4, 2011
Pfeiffer stars as Tally aka Sally who is a young and naive journalist who desperately wants to become a news anchor & enlists the help of a news director, Warren Justice (Robert Redford), to help Tally accomplish her dreams. With a beautiful and tragic story of true love and Celine Dion's Because You Love Me, this movie is simply wonderful and incredibly touching and holds a special place in my heart.
½ November 7, 2011
Ok I admit this much: the only reason I was interested in this movie was 1) Robert Redford is beautiful and 2) that Celine Dion song (I know, but I can't help it) and it's video made me feel like this would be uber romantic. Not so much.

So Pfeiffer is a rising star who falls in love with her mentor. Here's a summary (spoiler alert, not that you should care): boring, boring, news story, love story, boring, boring, prison riot, excitement for 2.5 seconds, news story, love story, boring, boring, robert redford dies, the end.
October 27, 2011
Insightful, and fun but strangely mixed happy sad ending
½ August 15, 2011
4.5 stars. I really liked this movie and Robert Redford was almost as hot as Sean Connery in this flick. And yeah, it made me cry... as usual.
July 24, 2011
A very watchable and well made film with good acting by the leads and supporting cast. The film strengths lie in capturing the cut-throat world of the TV industry with particular emphasis on the news and the charismatic Redford and beautiful young news presenter played by Pfeiffer, whose character is only going up the career ladder. Great direction and use of locations too.
½ July 11, 2011
Supposedly based on a true story but oh so hackneyed. And no chemistry between the two stars to boot.
July 11, 2011
Still watching this movie and I am bored out of my mind. It started off rather well, a girl from Reno trying to make it big in the new world. But as soon as I was interested I was trying to force my eyelids open. This is something that I have seen a million times and I have no interest in continuing, but too bad I cannot stop anything I have started. Now that the movie has finally ended, I will say that near the ending it picks up and it does get interesting, but I do not think it is still worth anyones time.
movieguru12