Up the Academy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up the Academy Reviews

½ August 6, 2016
Could have been so much better, Even MAD Magazine sued to get their name off it!
April 11, 2013
Up the Academy is a movie that I always saw in the comedy section but didn't think anything of it because I would watch Animal House or others instead. I didn't have an interest in this until I found out that Mad Magazine produced it and being that Mad was one of my favorite things as a kid, I felt it was worth checking this out. The Good: It kind of captures the humor of the magazine, the actress playing Candy was hot, The Stooges' Gimme Danger being played when that instructor was around. There are some decent laughs in this as it is a little stereotypical like a lot of raunchy 80's comedies. I liked seeing a brief and weird image of Alfred E Neuman The Bad: It is kind of aimless and while it has a decent setup, it really doesn't go anywhere. That annoying kid, who is named Rodney by the way, wasn't so bad but his little chuckle annoyed me. Up the Academy isn't terrible but isn't great.
March 28, 2013
As much I like Mad Magazine, I am not going to stoop myself to even watch this. I heard it's bad that even Mad itself disowned this movie.
July 19, 2012
Robert Downey Sr. was apparently better at making hot sons than hot movies. I watched it because it was shot mostly in Salina, and it was amusing to see Kansas Wesleyan and the United Building and etc. in a shitty 80s movie.
January 15, 2012
Mad Magazine? Ralph Macchio pre-karate kid? Robert Downey Jr's father directing? This title caught my attention on Netflix, so I had to give it a try. It's an odd turkey. This movie gets a 4 for "going there". It has everything an 80's teen comedy should have. The adults are over-the-top stupid. The kids get away with everything. The humor is beyond crude. Look for the special appearance by Alfred E. Neuman. The soundtrack is also killer and makes the film a little more palatable with songs like One Way or Another by Blondie and contributions by Lou Reed, Cheap Trick, Pat Benetar, Nick Lowe, Iggy Pop and many more cool pop groups. Gotta love the drill sergent's catch phrase....AGAAAAAIN!?!
August 6, 2011
I summarize three things: a fun appearance of Alfred E. Neuman, acid humor that appears in the magazine and a story that does not compare to the history of the Police Academy ... loved the movie
January 8, 2011
I really liked this movie, it's very funny and goofy, and it's a good teen story too. If you like teen comedies I highly recommend it, and it's brought to you by Mad Magazine!
½ November 7, 2010
Up the Academy is a movie that I always saw in the comedy section but didnt think anything of it because I would watch Animal House or Stripes instead. I didnt have an interest in this until I found out that Mad Magazine produced it and being that Mad was one of my favorite things as a kid, I felt it was worth checking this out.

The Good: It kind of captures the humor of the magazine, the actress playing Candy was hot, The Stooges Gimme Danger being played when that instructor was around. There are some decent laughs in this as it is a little stereotypical like a lot of raunchy 80's comedies. I liked seeing a brief and weird image of Alfred E Neuman

The Bad: It is kind of aimless and while it has a decent setup, it really doesnt go anywhere. That annoying kid, who is named Rodney by the way, wasnt so bad but his little chuckle annoyed me.

Up the Academy isn't terrible but isn't great.
September 26, 2010
More transgressive than almost any teen comedy, but not funny enough -- though it's funnier than Cracked, funnier than the Lighter Side Of... And it's funnier than Police Academy and more visually interesting than Stripes. Ron Liebman may have taken his name off, but really, his role isn't well-written and his performance is lacking. The movie isn't bad. Also, the soundtrack is hipper than it should be and so is Ralph Macchio.
½ April 2, 2010
Although I wasn?t expecting a sophisticated comedy, I also wasn?t expecting it to be quite this stupid. Very juvenile humor, but hardly a family film. Poorly written and the acting is none too good. Very rarely even amusing. It's just a stupid movie and a waste of time.
½ April 2, 2010
36/100. Although I wasn't expecting a sophisticated comedy, I also wasn't expecting it to be quite this stupid. Very juvenile humor, but hardly a family film. Poorly written and the acting is none too good. Very rarely even amusing. It's just a stupid movie and a waste of time.
September 2, 2009
THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING!!!! It's like a John Hughes movie mixed with a Leslie Nielsen movie. (way more Leslie Nielsen though) You have to friggin see this!! It's Ralph Macchio's first movie ever!! The Hollywood people saw this and thought "That guy right there? He's gonna be a Karate Kid"
½ August 5, 2009
I can't say I hated it, but I REALLY didn't liek this movie. It's way too typical and predictable. Not a whole lot happens that can't be expected. The film didn't really work. Nothing seemed cohesive and nothing really ended up happening. I'll give credit to director Robert Downey, Sr. (yeah. he's my fave actor's dad) for some bold direction in mixing newsreel-liek footage with the movie sequences for comic effect because those were the only genuinely funny parts in the film.

Not recommended
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
½ July 8, 2009
Now here is a juvenile, frivolous teen-age boys' film from three decades ago that is humorous and kind of cute. It has a few good jokes, and the overall tone is parody, which while mild mannered by today's standards, is funny enough to compensate for a rather tame plot. As funny as Caddyshack (which isn't saying much) but with a more cohesive storyline, and not a mindless retch-fest like American Pie.
June 30, 2009
A fun movie with great music and some laughs.
January 2, 2009
This movie has the 80's haloriousness (if thats even a word) But i really enjoyed it and encourage others to see it.
October 9, 2008
Omg!! This movie is about the funniest movie in the world! Haha I love Ralph Macchio in this movie! He was only 19 but he looked like he was 13 haha. I love Tommy Citera in this movie he is so funny he makes me laugh so hard.
I love the way he talks. This movie has stupid boy humor Idk Why i love it so much i just find boy humor halarious.
This movie really does Stick out like a Turd in a Punch bowl! haha
July 21, 2008
The real-life Alfred E Neuman in this film is honestly one of the most terrifying things I've ever seen in a movie. Genuinely unsettling. The movie itself isn't very good, but I'm a sucker for early 80's comedies and hijinks in general.